Old 01-07-2019, 10:12 PM   #31

Macerators are not cheap! I bought one and wish I had never done so. They can be a real hassle. You need three hoses: a black tank backflush hose, a hose for fresh water injected into the macerator, and a hose to carry away the macerated stuff. Then you'll need a DC hookup and a length of wire to clip it to your battery. Or, you can hardwire it to a DC source. All in all, I found it a real aggravation. You don't see them used much, but those that do have them swear by them.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
Macerators are not cheap! I bought one and wish I had never done so. They can be a real hassle. You need three hoses: a black tank backflush hose, a hose for fresh water injected into the macerator, and a hose to carry away the macerated stuff. Then you'll need a DC hookup and a length of wire to clip it to your battery. Or, you can hardwire it to a DC source. All in all, I found it a real aggravation. You don't see them used much, but those that do have them swear by them.
Do you really need a fresh water hose to inject water into the macerator? I am sure it would be nice to have if you are at your home and that's your final dump but why would you need that at other times? I would be more inclined to just hook a hose to the black tank flush than use the fitting at the macerator.

If I get a macerator, I am going to run power for it to near the dump lines on my trailer so that won't be an issue at all.

I think the reason you don't see them used much is because they are only used at home. No need to use them at a dump station obviously.

babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:04 AM   #33

Mine has a spout on it where you normally would hook up the dishwasher out to; altho I don;t use it, it is a good spot to attach a fresh water inlet.
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:28 AM   #34

Flojet Macerator

If anyone is interested, I have Flojet Macerator for sale. Never used except to make one short test to very it worked as expected. Bought it in July 2018 to use with my Airstream while storing it at my house. Traded the Airstream on a Dynamax Motorhome with on onboard Macerator. I added 20 ft. of cable and battery clips so it has approximately 25 ft. of reach to get to the batteries that, in my case, were mounted under the tongue. Original Amazon cost = $230, plus the cost of additional wiring, battery clips, shrink tubing, etc. Make an offer.
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:47 AM   #35
Old Engineer

Flo Jet User

While I use a Flo Jet macerator to pump out into my septic tank, I am intrigued by the concept of using a garbage disposal.

I can see no reason it should not work but I have a concern about hanging the weight of a typical garbage disposal unit on the black tank valve and piping.

If you break or damage it it will be an expensive, inconvenient mess to clean-up.

Caution and Good Luck.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:06 AM   #36
D W

I just have one question: Has anyone ever tried to feed toilet paper down a garbage disposal? I venture to guess there would be an unintended consequence. Someone please try this and report back. I'm curious.

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:21 AM   #37

Have you ever considered the Sewer Solution? After visiting a few campgrounds where the dump was actually up hill, we did some research and have been using it for 5 years now. You can sometimes find them on sale at CW and Amazon is usually competitively priced. But maybe not exactly what you seek

Old 01-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #38

Suspect the main reason you don't 'see' macerators being used much is because they take awhile to do their thing. You don't mount the disposal to the RV plumbing like you do a 12 volt macerator. The disposal is on the ground, connected to the RV by the three inch hose.
It seems to me that a 120 volt (half horse) disposal would handle toilet paper much easier than a 12 volt macerator. The dishwasher connection on the disposal could be worth a try for introducing water, but I'm thinking running the black tank spray system as a follow up to the actual dumping process. The Sewer Solution (per ad) apparently lacks the ability to go 75 feet (as I need) without hard plumbing.
dieseldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #39

Something that may be worth adding to the macerator subject is dumping an RV holding tank in a septic system. I've done a little research on this, since this will be a first for me....dumping my RV in to my septic tank.
As always it seems there are differing opinions. One side says it is okay.....if properly done. The other side says...don't do it. The concerns come from the sudden 'whoosh' of an RV holding tank in to the septic, and the use of chemicals in the RV holding tank. Since the use of a macerator (either 12 volt or 120 volt) grinds things up before it goes to the septic, it should be easier for the septic system to deal with it. Then, of course you have the use of chemicals debate. Makes you wonder how campground septic systems cope.
This camping thing can get really complicated. Maybe I should just take up poker.
dieseldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
Have you ever considered the Sewer Solution? ...
X2

we've been using our Sewer Solution since day one of our camping days(over 5 yrs and three trailers), the same one and trouble free, ... have never used slinky at a full hookup campsite,... its a macerator system that uses a water jet to break up solids and push the flow, ... no gears that jam, no electricity, and no motor that might heat/burn up, ... do those expensive systems even last five years without problems?

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote