Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2019, 12:35 PM   #41
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldodge View Post
Something that may be worth adding to the macerator subject is dumping an RV holding tank in a septic system. I've done a little research on this, since this will be a first for me....dumping my RV in to my septic tank.
As always it seems there are differing opinions. One side says it is okay.....if properly done. The other side says...don't do it. The concerns come from the sudden 'whoosh' of an RV holding tank in to the septic, and the use of chemicals in the RV holding tank. Since the use of a macerator (either 12 volt or 120 volt) grinds things up before it goes to the septic, it should be easier for the septic system to deal with it. Then, of course you have the use of chemicals debate.
This camping thing can get really complicated. Maybe I should just take up poker.
I've been dumping my holding tank(s) into my septic systems (various homes) for the better part of 40 years. No issues ever. I've even let camping guests do it too at times. I do properly treat and maintain my septic system.

YMMV.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:38 PM   #42

5picker...….when you say 'properly treat & maintain' what does that entail? There seems to be a lot of differing opinions on that.
dieseldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #43
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
5picker...….when you say 'properly treat & maintain' what does that entail? There seems to be a lot of differing opinions on that.
I use Rid-X faithfully every month and have it pumped every 5-7 years.
That's it.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #44

I know we're getting a little off topic here.....but, even the use of Rid-X in the septic seems somewhat controversial from what I'm seeing/reading. When I think of some of the long lines at dump stations, I now wonder how that all works out. Obviously the scale of septics from a campground to a single family septic is considerable no doubt....but still.
One article I read said not to dump an RV 'whoosh' style more than once a week...which seems easy enough to do....but not to put anything in the RV holding tank. If you were to put something in the black tank would Rid-X counter that?
Old 01-08-2019, 01:08 PM   #45

Oops...I was talking about putting chemicals in the black tank. Sorry.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I use Rid-X faithfully every month and have it pumped every 5-7 years.
That's it.
5-7 yrs seems a bit long. We always did ours every other year or so.

Make sure they mix it up with one of these, otherwise, they're only getting a small portion of the solids out of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181002_144900464.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	547.2 KB
ID:	194218  

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:21 PM   #47
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
5-7 yrs seems a bit long. We always did ours every other year or so.

Make sure they mix it up with one of these, otherwise, they're only getting a small portion of the solids out of the tank.
After 5-7 years they (the septic tank folks) tell me there is about 1/3 'sludge' in the bottom. They always tell me that is good. I don't know what 'bad' is? Septic tanks around here are 500 gallons.

The house before this one we had pumped once in 20 years and never had an issue. When pumped at the 10 year mark, they said it was 1/2 full. We sold the house at the 20 year mark so I can't comment on that.

dieseldodge,
You can't compare what you are doing (single dump) to a campground. While the process is the same, it is different and every campground I've had privilege of knowing the internal workings of had more than just a septic system to handle the amount of dumping done at a campground. For the last 20 years we are fortunate to live next door to a campground and we are good friends with the owners. I do a lot of repair work for folks visiting the campground. But that is another thread.

The chemicals in the holding tank shouldn't really affect your septic either.
Many say septic safe and others say aids in aids in break down. Yes, some are simply chemicals that mask odors but most aid in some way to the chemical breakup of the waste.

Anything can be debated to death.
I'm simply passing along my life's experiences.

Take it for exactly what you paid for it.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:42 PM   #48

I do

Quote:
I will attempt to re-claim this thread by re-asking if any one has any experience with the original subject matter? Would appreciate any feedback before I give this a try.

Watching a few videos of 'regular' macerators (with the 12 volt motors) pumping long distances, it seems they struggle, and the reviews are underwhelming. It strikes me that a larger motor on 120 volts might work out better, though they (garbage disposals) weren't intended to do this....at least I didn't think so.
I have been using a Badger under-sink disposal unit for nearly 4 years now. Had to replace the first two due to what seemed to be a design flaw/poor quality control. First one lasted about two years but went bad after a little ice formed inside the macerating chamber one especially cold week.

The part the two "blades" are attached was binding due to the shaft rising as it spun. It had over 1/2 inch of up/down slop. I thought it was from ice damage but the brand new unit did the exact same thing, I inspected the display unit on the shelf in store & it also had major slop. That was their smallest unit...1/3 HP I think.

I inspected the next size up, 1/2 HP I think. No slop in shaft. Bought it & been using it almost a year now. I have it attached to a reinforced 24 inch long semi-clear hose that clamps directly to the discharge port. From that I clamped a PVC fitting set up I made that I then screwed a 3/4 inch heavy-duty garden hose to. I run that to the sewer cap which I modified for the hose to fit through.

Total length from disposal (which is directly under tank outlets) to sewer is approximately 75 feet. The 1/2 HP Badger pulls & pumps like you wouldn't believe. It will drain both the black & grey tanks in under 10 minutes when BOTH are full. That's around 75 gallons for both. In nearly 4 yrs I've never had ANY issues related to pumping out the black & grey tank (my galley tank is also attached via pvc pipe to the dishwasher port on the disposal unit) or any blockage/clogging.

I haven't installed an actual on/off switch yet...just cut the end off an old extension cord, wired it into pump & plug in the exterior outlet when I use it. The sewer hose from the RV tank fit very snugly into top of the disposal with the rubber sink flap installed. I made a leak-proof seal using black silicone. I always meant to build a box for the unit, to better protect it from the weather but it's held up very well. I keep a thin piece of concrete block under it so it's not directly on the ground. The trailer seems to shelter it from the worst of any rain, weather.

I live in my Rockwood 8314 full time, have been in same location for a while now but heading to NC mountains this spring for the next couple years, at least. I couldn't see paying $200 for the 12 volt macerator pumps, the reviews seemed to indicate that they simply didn't hold up well. I have replaced a good many on boats, so, not totally unfamiliar with them.

When I did replace the first unit, I expected a terrible mess but, upon removal I was surprised to find the interior of the unit quite clean. Just a little gunk around the hose itself. I always open the grey water last to flush it out & it really seemed to help. Anyway, hope this gives you some better perspective.

ALSO, I need to mention, from the disposal to the sewer, it's TOTALLY level. Point being, the disposal builds up more than enough pressure to pump everything the full length. No issue at all.

Feel free to contact me to ask any questions you may have. Good luck!
AGENT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:14 AM   #49

AGENT86....thanks so much for your post. Sounds like this project may work out well. I have a half horse Whirlpool that I'm working with, but it appears very similar to the Badger. I too will be pumping around 75 feet but with a slight uphill grade. From everything I've seen to date it doesn't look like the grade should pose a problem.