Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #1

V-Lite 28WRBS

Just when I thought we had decided on a TT, my wife saw this. So now we're back to discussing. My question is does anyone have this trailer and tow it with a 1/2 ton truck? Just wondering how it handles behind a 1/2 ton. This model is a heavier than the other one was looking at. I have a 2009 F-150 4x4 Lariat with trailer tow (not max tow). 5.4 with 3.73 rear axle.

Another question that I have is should I pay more attention to dry trailer weight or dry hitch weight? I know these weights will increase when you add options and "camping stuff" to the trailer. An example of two other trailers were are looking at:

Trailer 1 Dry Weight: 4807 Hitch Weight: 544

Trailer 2 Dry Weight: 6048 Hitch Weight: 474

As you see, T2 has considerable more dry weight but less hitch weight. Could this be a problem?

I would like to add that these forums have already been very helpful to me and "rookies" such as myself really appreciate the help from the contributors to this forum.
cdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Site Team

using fictional "dry" weights without posting the trailer's GVWR, is kinda useless, since no trailer weighs its "dry" weight.
so, it would help to post the trailer models you're comparing or post the GVWR.
if the specs don't post the GVWR, add the CCC to the "dry" weight.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #3

I have had this TT for 4 years and tow it with a 2008 Silverado 5.3 1/2 ton w/3.43 gears and have not had any problems with it. Granted I haven't pulled any big hills or mountains but I get around 8-9 mpg and all I added was one sway bar on it to help with semis passing on the road. So far I love it.
1996 Impala SS 1972 Chevelle SS
donjuanss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Hob

Some of the hills in MO will make your half ton grunt with the V-Lite. You won't be as happy with it in the Sierras, Rockies, or trying to pull the Continental Divide with it. I am much happier pulling with my 3/4 ton Ford diesel than I was with a Chevy 5.7L. I even get 1.6 miles to the gallon better fuel mileage pulling mountains than I did with my Chevy on relatively flat ground. Keep it on flat ground and it will be okay. Hills will make it grunt and mountains will make it really strain. Good luck and happy camping with whatever you choose.

Best Regards,
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #5

Sorry for not supplying all the needed info, I'm new at this

Trailer 1 is a Surveyor SV291 GVWR 7544.

Trailer 2 is a Flagstaff 27 RLSS GVWR 7474

I was just curious because one trailer's dry weight was more but had a lesser hitch weight. Didn't know if that mattered or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob View Post
Some of the hills in MO will make your half ton grunt with the V-Lite. You won't be as happy with it in the Sierras, Rockies, or trying to pull the Continental Divide with it. I am much happier pulling with my 3/4 ton Ford diesel than I was with a Chevy 5.7L. I even get 1.6 miles to the gallon better fuel mileage pulling mountains than I did with my Chevy on relatively flat ground. Keep it on flat ground and it will be okay. Hills will make it grunt and mountains will make it really strain. Good luck and happy camping with whatever you choose.

Best Regards,
Thanks for the info. I figured the V-Lite was a little too heavy and yes I will be pulling it over the Continental Divide in the Rockies. Too much trailer for my truck. Again Thanks!
cdbus is offline   Reply With Quote