Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 08:51 AM   #1

V-Lite Danger?

I am posting this here since it is a V-Lite. A member posted over in (Palomino),(Mad Momma post), that she had a (Electrical snafu that could have burned the V-Lite down)? I tried to locate the post on this issue but could find nothing. If this issue could be posted here all V-Lite owners could see it. Thanks,Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #2

Weezer can you post what the elect.issue was? Youroo!!
Old 02-28-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
NELA

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tes-43069.html

After my problem was corrected, our dealer said at least two other V-Lite owners in our area brought theirs in with the same problem. All caused by a simple snafu; wrong placement (and size) of that wiring entry hole in the floor.

Ours was the first, and by the time the others came in they knew exactly what the problem was and how to correct it professionally and quickly.

Those weren't only 12V wires coming up through that hole and getting pinched by the sofa leg against the rough wood edge of the hole. Freaked me the heck out when I found it.

Surprised you don't remember this....LOL....Weezer was NOT a happy camper! But FR and our dealer came through like champs! The repair looked professional....as if it was meant to be constructed like that from the git-go.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply,I remember the Post being about the (Sofa falling in the Hole in the floor)! I see it was posted on (7-2-13) then there was more finding posted on (10-5-13),leg of sofa,and hole,never did see Info about Wire Fix though? Thanks, Youroo!!
Old 02-28-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Thanks for the reply,I remember the Post being about the (Sofa falling in the Hole in the floor)! I see it was posted on (7-2-13) then there was more finding posted on (10-5-13),leg of sofa,and hole,never did see Info about Wire Fix though? Thanks, Youroo!!
The hole for the wiring *should* have been cut in a location where it would have been behind/under the small end tables on either side of that "across the back" sofa. It was cut (very large hole) too far toward the center on the passenger side. Normally (if the hole had been cut in the correct place) the sofa leg wouldn't have fallen into it. (And I'd have never seen it when I was looking under the sofa for something with a flashlight if it had been cut in the proper size and location).

The fix was that the leg on that side was relocated a bit inward on that back corner of the sofa, and both back sofa legs were placed down in a constructed wooden "donut" that was attached to the flooring surface to keep the sofa from shifting around.

After the sofa was altered and stabilized there was no need to do anything further with the wiring and the hole it came up through, except that, IIRC, the hole was reduced in size by a piece of plywood being placed over the existing large hole with a small notch cut out, on the side facing the wall, for the wires to pass through.

The repair guy told us when we picked it up that the side piece of both of those small end tables had not been installed either. Both were installed during repair.

As soon as I found it, (that evening) DH cut a piece of *very* thick leather over the hole with a notch cut out to allow the wires to pass through and stopping the sofa leg from falling back into the hole. That temporary fix was left in place until we got it to the dealer for proper repair.

I remember at least one person with our same model posting here that they found the same problem, and our dealer/repair guy stated he'd seen 2 more, other than ours, brought in for that same repair. He stated that since ours was the guinea pig for that repair, the other two were easy to correct.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
Perma-Newb

After pulling the couch out to install my EMS, I noticed that the holes were in the correct place. So no issue here, although I am glad I knew to look.

2014 V-Lite 30WIKSS, Diamond Package W/All the goodies

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic50858_1.gif
EarlyRetirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #7
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyRetirement View Post
After pulling the couch out to install my EMS, I noticed that the holes were in the correct place. So no issue here, although I am glad I knew to look.
Good to know!

Your checking is the reason for my initial posting. Our V-Lite was an *early* '14 model.

Tags
v-lite