Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #1

V-Lite General Questions

My wife and I are looking at a Flagstaf V-lite 26WRB and I have a few general questions about this line of travel trailer.

I have some concerns about the ride quality of this trailer. The Torsion Axle, Rubber-Ryde Suspension would seem to me to be harder on the trailer and it's contents than a normal coupled leaf spring system. My dad has had several big non travel trailers but only one had the torsion axle. He hated the trailer with the torsion axle system. He said it not only shook everything inside the trailer but also made for an uncomfortable towing experience.

Is the automatic awning adjustable to allow the rain to run off one end. I couldn't tell from the quick look I made.

This is the only trailer we have looked at that had a ladder. I did not see anything in way of tie downs. Has anybody figured out if or how to tie down something on top for transport? I am thinking about a kayak or 2.

Is there a convenient way to hook up both the front and rear gray water drains at the same time? This seems to be a bit troublesome to me.

Are there any other peculiarities about this product line I have discovered yet but should know about before I plunk down my saving? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #2

Hello kz08h5, and WELCOME to the forum! I have owned our V-lite for just over 1 year, and we love it! There is an awning kit available free of charge from A&E/Dometic that makes the awning tilt down at the back end for rain. I had the dealer order it, and 2 days later, it was in. You can install it yourself, with a helper. EZfix. (If there is a black knob on the rear arm assembly, it's already there.) The dealer needs the numbers off the arm- Model and ser#, and they can order it.
As far as towing, we haven't experienced any issues whatsoever with the ride of the camper. The only complaint that I have heard about is the Carlisle tires blowing out prematurely, and leaky vave stems. Proper inflation and balancing the tires has kept me from having any tire issues. Also, these tires are speed rated at 65 mph. Many folks don't know this, and run at 35 psi- Not enough air! Onthe tires, it states 50 psi cold.
As far as the tanks go, I'm a little distraught that they are so small. The grey tank for the shower and bath sink will fill up faster than any other, and the kitchen sink is the only thing draining into the other one. Unless you intend to do a lot of dishes, this will rarely fill up. The problem with connecting the 2 grey tanks, is that the axles divide the 2 (on mine, at least) and I did see a post where another guy put a 12v water pump and a hose between the 2, so that he could pump excess grey shower water to the kitchen tank. I guess that is why it's a V- "LITE", for the smaller tanks. I love all the power features on the V- mine has the power tongue jack, and awning, self lighting refrigerator and water heater, I have never had any issues with mine, except for the radio (Concertone600) that THEY had to replace under warranty. I feel overall, that it's a GREAT UNIT, and I recommend it. Mine has 2 slide outs and 33'6" overall. GOOD LUCK, Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #3

I bought a 28' model in Dec. I have not found any adverse effects of the torsion bar suspension. I have pulled it to Daytona from Alabama and around the Wiregrass/Tri State Area. As far as the top they say it was designed just for maintenance and not for any kind of storage. The awning if it doesn't have the adjustable arm then you should be able to have your dealer get one from Dometic and install it. They are free you may have to pay for them to install it. The front and rear grey tanks on mine are already connected. All I did was put a cover on the grey drain with a water hose outlet on it and bought an adapter for the sewer hoe the same way. you can then connect the two together. I hope this has answered your questions.
1996 Impala SS 1972 Chevelle SS
donjuanss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
Grape Escape

No problems with the axels. Hit a mother of all bumps one time and expected to find every dish broken in the trailer but absolutely nothing was damaged. You can rest easy that ride should be fine.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
I had my front axle replaced due to bearing failure. Either the axle nut was over or under tightened from the factory. I have also found my rear axle tilted forward. After reading on our sister Flagstaff/Rockwood Forum about these problems, I fixed it myself. I am not sure about mount a rack on top of the TT to carry a kayak. That might be better to carry on your TV. We did what Randy did for the awning. I think new models come with it already installed.

We love our trailer because of the 2 slides and the big closet. We got ours in 04/08. And at the end of June took it on a 4000 mile 3 week vacation out west.

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff