Old 10-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #1

V-Lite Roof Construction Question

I am curious about the construction of the roof on a V-lite. Are there metal rafters bonded inside the laminated roof? If there are, are they on 16 or 24 inch centers? I am especially interested in the V area.

My 26 WRB has overhead cabinets in the nose or V area. I have noticed there is a gap between the ceiling and the top edge of the cabinets. I can push up on the bottom to completely close the gap. I would hope there is a roof rafter or some other structure in the roof these cabinets are supposed to be attached to. I am afraid there is either no structure there or they missed it when they screwed the cabinets in. There are screws into the ceiling and into the walls.

I am sure the normal, and maybe a few abnormal, road surface irregularities has caused to much mass momentum for the screws to hold. In other words, too many bumps in the road.

If there is no structure to attach to and the screws just go into a thin fiberboard and Styrofoam I will have to find way to properly re-attach the cabinets. I know if I don't do something fairly soon the cabinets will find their way to the couch then the floor. Not a good situation.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #2

I'd like to see more of what you are experiencing. This may apply more than just Vlites.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #3

V-Lite Roof Construction Question

Here are some pictures of my problem. The cabinets are not attached to any structure via the mounting cleats behind the doors. The middle cabinet attaches to the 1/8 in. hardboard only and has nothing behind it. That area of the ceiling is hollow. The cabinets on either side of the middle one screw into the hardboard and foam that makes up the ceiling. I want to know if there is any metal structure in that area without ripping the ceiling apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	41139   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	41140   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 6.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	41141   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 7.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	41142  

Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
Old 10-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #4

Are the cabinets screwed to the wall? I'm not an engineer "by any stretch of the imagination", but I would have hoped they didn't expect 1 screw to hold the weight of the cabinets and their contents. Being in the front won't have near the bounce and strain as if they were mounted in the rear. Is there any way to take the cabinets down and use a stud finder? You may have to call on the gorilla and use some of his glue!
Old 10-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #5

If its hollow like that why don't you put a toggle bolt in where that screw is

2013 F350 SB,CC Lariat Ruby Red,3.73Gears,5Star Tuned,,Line-X Bed,Extang Platinum Cover,Airlift LoadLifter 5000 Bags,Airlift Wireless Air controller,Reese Signature Series Fifth Wheel Rail Kit,B&W Fifth Wheel Hitch,2014 Flagstaff 8528BHWS
thetiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #6

The cabinets have more than one screw holding them up. They are screwed into the wall and ceiling. They are completely open inside so they are only screwed to the wall at the ends. I haven't looked into it enough to determine if the wall screws are anchored into the aluminum framework inside the walls.

It is hollow up front. I haven't been able to get FR to tell me if there is supposed to be a rafter in that area or not. They have suggested that I epoxy the cabinet top rails to the ceiling. No way that is going to happen. That just pushes the problem a little further down the road.

I am going to have to figure out where there is some structure to anchor to. AND make the wife happy with how it looks.

Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
Old 10-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #7

X2 on your approach!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #8

KZ, I've learned that if women don't see it they won't know it. But for your peace of mind, you need to find out if there is some kind of structure that screw can go into. If you don't, and it comes down, then she will know it!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #9

Timex, my original idea was to wedge a 2x4 between the bottom of the cabinet and the floor. I had to set down and rest until that thought went away, I knew it would never get past the owners committee.

Anyone know where I can borrow a bore-scope so I can drill a small hole then do a look around inside?

Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
Old 10-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #10

If you want to inspect what is in the wall and need a bore scope cam why do you not buy one f.i. At harbour freight and return it after you did your inspection. HF has a 90 days no question asked return policy. :-)

Tags
roo, roof, v-lite