Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2015, 09:52 AM   #1

Wand use for black tank

Hello All.
We are learning the ropes of emptying the black and grey tanks having come from a pop up.

any consensus on what is the best type of wand to use down the toilet for flushing the black tank?
Flexible vs a straight wand; one that shoots water through end from all angles?

Need to go shopping again for more gadgets.
Thanks!
PTLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:06 AM   #2

if you got a straight shot to the tank, get the one with a little cone nozzle that sprays one direction. about 8 bucks...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:16 AM   #3

Hello Lady,

The best type depends on the plumbing from the toilet to the tank. If your toilet is directly above the black tank then the straight swivel stick will work great. That is what I use on my pop up.

If the tank is off-set a little bit then the flexible swivel stick would be best. Keep in mind that the flexible end is only a couple feet long and if your black tank is further than that, then the swivel action provided will do no better than a simple hose down the toilet.

For tanks far from the toilet, a flush adapter is best installed directly on the tank.

I hope this helps.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:56 AM   #4

thanks all
Will have to check it out.
When you mean swivel stick, do you mean one that shoots out water in all directions or would I have to turn it around? I will have to look at this to see what we have below.

We have a microlite 25 DS
PTLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTLady View Post
thanks all
Will have to check it out.
When you mean swivel stick, do you mean one that shoots out water in all directions or would I have to turn it around? I will have to look at this to see what we have below.

We have a microlite 25 DS
i think he meant the one like we use, it has a flexible end with a spinning spray head. works very well. we also have a Dual-Flush on the dump end.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #6

PTLady;
We have a 25DS /2012. We (or should say I ) use the straight wand on our's. With the water coming out the sides of the wand it cleans side walls of the tank just twist it . This will help keep the sensors clean. I also use the Geo Method for the Black Tank / Gray Tank. It work's for me. Just my 2C.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Chevy Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #7
Salem Cruise Lite Owner

Looking straight down the flapper, with the black tank directly below, what position is the sensor?
Bushbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:41 PM   #8

Our Outback Terrain 245TBH has a tank flush adapter on side of trailer above tank drain. Seems to work good... hook hose up and let it run for about 10 or 15 mins to get a good cleansing.
KamperKen1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #9

Our old camper didn't have a black tank flush so I always used a straight wand and it worked great. Be very careful looking down the hole while lifting the wand up and down! My first time I should have been wearing a facemask and snorkel.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperKen1967 View Post
Our Outback Terrain 245TBH has a tank flush adapter on side of trailer above tank drain. Seems to work good... hook hose up and let it run for about 10 or 15 mins to get a good cleansing.
If you let it run for 10-15 mins, you will get a good cleaning. Or need a good cleaning.

But I think you should open the black tank dump valve first!

Back to the OP's question, I use the single direction nozzle and stick it as far down in the tank as it will go. Twist the hose/nozzle and go up/down as the tank fills. There should be an on/off valve on the hose end of the nozzle. Keep the dump valve closed until the tank fills up, shut the water off, open dump valve, drain, close dump valve, rinse, repeat until clear.

I use this after every other trip when I get home.

And use the black tank flush every trip before I leave the site with FHU's .

If I use a dump station when leaving, I definitely use the wand when I get home. I will pour a 5 gallon bucket of water down the toilet after dumping, to let it slosh around on the way home.

Keep the tanks clean, and you will avoid problems down the road.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #11

We've tried different wand configurations over the years, but we finally figured out that dumping a 5 or 6 gal jug of water directly down the open toilet hole did a better job than any of the wands. We think that the force of the water hitting the bottom of the tank causes enough side wash to rinse the tank.

Try it if you can. You may like it too.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYCamper View Post
Our old camper didn't have a black tank flush so I always used a straight wand and it worked great. Be very careful looking down the hole while lifting the wand up and down! My first time I should have been wearing a facemask and snorkel.
Been There,,, done that !!! Must be very carful not to come up to high !!!

Lady are you sure your unite does not have a Tank Flusher ???
On our Sunseeker it is on the opposite Side from the drain valves !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
If you let it run for 10-15 mins, you will get a good cleaning. Or need a good cleaning.

But I think you should open the black tank dump valve first!

Back to the OP's question, I use the single direction nozzle and stick it as far down in the tank as it will go. Twist the hose/nozzle and go up/down as the tank fills. There should be an on/off valve on the hose end of the nozzle. Keep the dump valve closed until the tank fills up, shut the water off, open dump valve, drain, close dump valve, rinse, repeat until clear.

I use this after every other trip when I get home.

And use the black tank flush every trip before I leave the site with FHU's .

If I use a dump station when leaving, I definitely use the wand when I get home. I will pour a 5 gallon bucket of water down the toilet after dumping, to let it slosh around on the way home.

Keep the tanks clean, and you will avoid problems down the road.
Yes the black tank valve must be open... but gray needs to be closed or can back up using tank cleaner
KamperKen1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:59 AM   #14

How about a little GEO in that tank while driving home ???
Old 08-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperKen1967 View Post
Yes the black tank valve must be open... but gray needs to be closed or can back up using tank cleaner
I think you're referring to when the black tank is draining, right?

Even if it did back up some, you're going to flush it right back out when you dump the grey water tank.

Always dump grey water last anyway.

Just got back from a trip and I got me a rhythm going with the black tank flusher.
I set an alarm on my phone for 2 mins, dump the black tank, snooze the alarm, alarms again in 2 mins, rinse, repeat, until all is clear.
Allowed no more than 2 mins to fill. I didn't want another problem.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre View Post
We've tried different wand configurations over the years, but we finally figured out that dumping a 5 or 6 gal jug of water directly down the open toilet hole did a better job than any of the wands. We think that the force of the water hitting the bottom of the tank causes enough side wash to rinse the tank.

Try it if you can. You may like it too.
Considering buying a wand, but I might just try this. Others who use this method?
joetab1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:08 AM   #17

Our old Flagstaff TT had no flush valve,,, so I always used a wand when we got home,,, there was always some not so good stuff that flushed out !!! The tank seamed very shallow,,, and I believe that is why it did not flush well,,, also back then I knew nothing about the GEO Method !!!

Tags
black, black tank, tank