Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTLady View Post
SKnight
You mean attach the blue filter on the hose outside when filling the tank?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slympicins View Post
Attachment 61054

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Quote:
Another option.

Attachment 61055

These. Folks go a couple of different ways, the top one is the easiest, it just screws inline like a regulator. You use them up and toss them out.

The bottom one is a household filter with hose adapters. Length of hose to the filter, another length to the trailer. More complicated, but you can get better filter cartridges, for cheaper.

Both of these options put the filter outside so if something goes wrong with the filter, you water the grass instead of your carpet and insulation.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:39 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTLady View Post
Wmoses; so you use a external filter and also the one that is "inside" the trailer?
When we do state parks, we fill the water tank by the dump station; would we just attach our hose to the supplied water source with the external filter attached so it filters it before it goes into the tank?
So...in other words, when tank filled (not from city source which is constantly running) we "turn" off the water by turning off the pump?
I do use an external filter at the spigot. Then the filtered water enters the RV through the City Water connection and passes through the factory filter. We then use that water to cook, make coffee, shower, etc. We also have a Brita pitcher which we fill from the kitchen sink's faucet, i.e. water that is already twice filtered. That Brita water is used for drinking triple filtered. When I did not have this RV and its factory supplied filter we just used the water filtered at the spigot for cooking, making coffee, showers, etc., and the Brita pitcher for drinking. We just camped at a place in California and the water was the hardest there I have ever seen, and am considering a water softener as well, but that is another story.

When you fill the tank from the water at the dump station I hope that it clearly says "potable", because I have only ever seen non-potable water at dump stations.

When at State Parks (or anywhere else there is supplied water) I connect the spigot to the City Water connection and do not at all use the fresh water tank or water pump. You can do the same.

When using the water from your fresh water tank, if you turn off the water pump you turn off the water.

If you have the fresh water tank full, and you have the pump on, and you have the city water connected and pressurized, then when you turn off the water pump, the water will still flow but from the city water connection. I suspect that if the water pump is on the water that will come through the faucet will be from the city water connection, since the system will be fully pressurized from the city water pressure, and when it is pressurized the pump shuts off.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #43
happy camper

Just a quick comment on the posts here that say "you're not tightening the filter the right way." Or "you're not using the factory-supplied wrench."

That's not the issue. Not in my experience.

We've had our filter pop off twice.

First time it popped off, it was (obviously) factory-installed, so we'd hope (& assume ) they had installed it the right way, using the right wrench, and pushed it up & tightened it appropriately.

After that first time, when we took it in to be fixed, the guy at the factory-authorized repair place showed DH how to install the filter. He did it, while DH watched, using the factory-supplied wrench that was already in our trailer.

So it popped off a second time. This time they replaced the whole unit with a Water-Pur unit that (thankfully) takes pretty standard (and less expensive) filters that are the same as we use on our whole-house filter at home.

Here's a pic of the new unit. I don't have a pic of the old one...

Even with the new filter unit, I don't think we'll ever leave the trailer for any amount of time without turning off the water supply spigot.
Mary Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #44

Not leaving your TT with the water on is a Good idea. I would take that nice filter off and out of your TT altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:20 AM   #45

All this talk about the filter blowing out got me to thinking that it is about time I replace my filter cartridge, as I sense the water flow slowing and the trailer is almost exactly a year since it was put into use (tomorrow is my anniversary and it is also one year since we got the trailer).

I am at work and don't have access to the trailer or my manuals so I have to ask ... what cartridges does the filter assembly that came with our trailer take and where do I get it?
Old 08-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #46

If I only knew I would have sent you mine unopened. I tossed it along with the housing and wrench.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #47

Appreciate the thought, Chuck.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:56 PM   #48

Quote:
If I only knew I would have sent you mine unopened. I tossed it along with the housing and wrench.

Looks like excellent preventive maintenance to me!

Old 08-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #49

I'm at a loss trying to rationalize WHY a water filter housing would unscrew itself and pop off...I only hand tighten mine and remove with the supplied spanner wrench. I'm not disputing the fact that some did, but unless you have a freakin' H2O vortex happening in the filter, what can make it spin off? I understand it blowing apart with extreme pressures, but to spin? Inquiring minds wanna know.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #50

When you take off the canister and look at the little nubs of plastic that locks the canister in place, you will see it will take a few filter changes (or winterizations) before they break down. Then, a little water pressure (40 psi) will slowly back it out. Look at the threads on the canister and see how aggressive they are. They are not like whole house filters but un screw in about a turn and a half. If you have one of this type, your on borrowed time.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #51

Look at post #5 on following link to see how I by-passed the factory installed water filter on my Forest River Micro-Lite.

Instructions, materials list and photos:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ves-45382.html
https://www.glenphotos.com
WatkinsGlenCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:09 AM   #52

Looks great an not too difficult. Great idea to do the bypass. Now yank that crappy filter housing out and toss it in the trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
water, water filter

« Toliet | Black tank »