Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2018, 11:04 PM   #1

Water Filter Woes

I just about choked when I saw how much the Water filter is for my Flagstaff. Have a 2016 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 832IKBS. Some how I got two filters when I picked the unit up. Camped one season, winterized and had that spare to use last year.

So honestly there is no way I am buying a 10 micron filter for that price, I cannot find any other filter that will fit the unit in the TT.

Wondering what others here have done.

Replaced the filter housing with another?
Used a external filter?
Submitted to highway robbery and just bought the replacement filter from Forest River?

Thanks,
SubVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubVet View Post
I just about choked when I saw how much the Water filter is for my Flagstaff. Have a 2016 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 832IKBS. Some how I got two filters when I picked the unit up. Camped one season, winterized and had that spare to use last year.

So honestly there is no way I am buying a 10 micron filter for that price, I cannot find any other filter that will fit the unit in the TT.

Wondering what others here have done.

Replaced the filter housing with another?
Used a external filter?
Submitted to highway robbery and just bought the replacement filter from Forest River?

Thanks,
I take the internal filter and housing completely out of every rig of ours. We used to try external filters, but got tired of those and now don't use any filters. Much happier.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:27 AM   #3
Just as confused as you

I have a 2014 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 832IKBS and I bought a hose to replace the filter housing. Just unscrew the fittings from the filter and connect the hose to the plumbing. No need for hose clamps, it screws to the fittings. I use a whole house filter outside under the trailer. I'm not at the trailer til later this week so I can't get any pictures.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:12 AM   #4

Remove the internal filter and housing. Install Camco inline filters to the supply hose outside. Throw away once a year.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Which filter do you have? The KW1 or the CCI-10? Our Flagstaff had the CCI-10 and I could get compatible filters from our dealer for only 10.95 (+HST). Yes, it’s more than what people quote for their whole home filters on here, but it’s not unreasonable. Works out like $2.00 a month for us. Certainly not enough of a difference to warrant replacing the filter canister.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #6

Filter cartridge prices Totally depend on "What you are trying to Filter Out"! A "String spun element for Sediment or a Multi stage charcoal/carbon filled" BIG price spread! Most people think the Element inserts are the same! We use a Outside Whole House unit then filter at other locations for water needs! Youroo!!
Old 05-14-2018, 07:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Filter cartridge prices Totally depend on "What you are trying to Filter Out"! A "String spun element for Sediment or a Multi stage charcoal/carbon filled" BIG price spread! Most people think the Element inserts are the same! We use a Outside Whole House unit then filter at other locations for water needs! Youroo!!
X2
Removed filter like so many. Cut the white hose close to filter. Cut off band clamp with dremel/disc at the T. Peel off the PEX and reconnected white hose at T with new band clamp. Now use whole house filter with tase, odor sediment filter @ 2/$9
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Yep, the FR1/KW1 filter elements are ridiculous expensive and propitiatory to the filter housing. There have been a few reports of someone installing an off-brand element in the FR1 but then others who say not.

I removed mine and installed a connector to splice the two lines back together and just use a good whole house filter at the hydrant or when filling the fresh tank. Good whole house filter assemblies can be had for the price of the KW1 element.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #9

Replaced mine

I replaced mine with a Pentek housing that takes standard cheap filters. Don't get one with a pressure release button as sometimes they weep. Pressure release is not necessary on a trailer just open a faucet.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter