Old 06-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #1

Water filters

We are new to the TT world and will have our maiden voyage this week. Moving up from the popup. Is it necessary to install the water filter if you wont be drinking the water? What happens if we don't? Will the chamber still fill? Will it bypass somehow? Also does anyone pour the blue chemicals down the other drains besides the toilet? A friend mentioned they do. Thanks!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #2

Use a filter regardless,they Help filter out (Junk-??) that will -can cause problems in your (Water system)! Youroo!! Filter= (Pay now or Pay later)!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If your camper is "new" it most likely has a filter?
Why wouldn't you drink the water?

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
Site Team

x2.

We don't drink the water, we bring a case of bottled water for that. What the filter does is let me know I'm washing, showering and flushing with water that's at least been filtered somewhere and isn't coming straight out of a well.

I'd only ever consider skipping the filter if:

1) I only ever use the freshwater (FW) tank.
2) I only ever bring FW from home and never fill the tank elsewhere.
3) I fill my tank with water with filtered water.

And even then, I'd still probably use the onboard because hey, why not?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #5

Water filters

Careful with your filter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slympicins View Post
For those with the 27RLWS here is a real good reason to TURN OFF THE WATER when you leave.
I closed the compartment where the water heater and water filter is located. I walked over to my neighbors camper for less than 1 (one) minute to talk. My buddies wife came out of the camper next to ours and yelled, Guys we have a problem here!" The water filter housing backed it's way out and was dumping water inside the compartment. Got a little inside on the carpet to. The filter housing DOES NOT LOCK into place and slowly backed out. As a result, I deleted (removed) the entire water filter system and added a section of pipe where the top if the filter was. I didn't trust it not to do it again. It cost about $15.00 for the pipe and fittings but no more worries!!!!
I don know about your TT but I prefer the hose bib filter outside the TT.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #6

Thanks for all your replies. It did come with a filter but is not yet installed. Was wondering if we need to install it and if not, what will happen. Slimpicins we have a microlite 25ds. So do you all pour the blue stuff down the drains with water? All we have right now are the pouches you put in the toilet.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #7

Another question. We have a water regulator fitting. Does that attach to the hose by the water source or where you connect the hose by the TT? Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
Site Team

1) I only use the TST in the toilet. But I've heard some people will occasionally use some in the grey tank. It seems to be a personal preference.

2) I put the water regulator at the tap. Others will put them at the trailer. Again, a personal preference.

3) If you don't install the water filter, the housing will fill up with water and will still function fine. However, there are debates about whether or not that will make it more prone to leaks, like Slympicins experienced. The one thing we all seem to agree on is to make sure the filter housing is tightened with the supplied wrench, but not overtightened. If it's too tight it cracks and then leaks. If it's too loose it can spin off and leak (a lot). If you're not going to use it anyways, then the best option is to just eliminate the entire housing and replace with a short piece of hose so you don't have to worry about leaks.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #9

I don't trust the filters any more than the water. Most people leave the filters in the camper for the entire season. It is just not convenient to remove them after each trip. Sitting in a warm, dark,wet environment for bacteria is just like putting them into an incubator to grow. No thanks. I removed my filter and use one of the Camco external filters to fill my tank. I drain my fresh water tank after every trip and sanitize every 4-6 weeks. Even still I take a 5 gal can from the house for drinking.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Lol I must be an anomaly.
Changed my filter twice a year for the last 13 or 14 years and drink water right from the tap.
Geeze it's well water!
I guess us country folk are used to we'll water.
Any cg I've ever been to has a bill board with water quality testing posted for everyone to view.
I guess it's a city folk thing

Tags
water, water filter