Old 02-27-2015, 09:58 PM   #31

Ok we've been discussing WDH for a while now and in my research on E-trailer they state that a TV hitch must be rated a class 3,4, or 5 to be used with a WDH today I went out and looked at my hitch and I couldn't find any tags on it to tell me how it's classified. So how can I find out if I can use one or not?

Old 03-03-2015, 11:14 PM   #32

Hitches

Check out the Hensley Hitch before you buy, pricey but no worries after paid for.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:27 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie joe View Post
Check out the Hensley Hitch before you buy, pricey but no worries after paid for.
I pull with a ProPride and recommend it over the Hensley for several reasons that I won't get into here. A google search can reveal those easily enough. I think it is overkill on a trailer this size, but if money is no object..... I will say it is definitely worth the money, though.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:50 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser1701 View Post
Ok we've been discussing WDH for a while now and in my research on E-trailer they state that a TV hitch must be rated a class 3,4, or 5 to be used with a WDH today I went out and looked at my hitch and I couldn't find any tags on it to tell me how it's classified. So how can I find out if I can use one or not?
=====================================

This should help:
Class I hitches will a 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" opening on the receiver end.</SPAN>

Class II Trailer Hitch Receivers- 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" receiver hitch opening.

Class III and IV Trailer Hitch Receivers.Has a 2" x 2" receiver opening.</SPAN>

Class V Hitches .2-1/2" x 2-1/2" receiver hitch opening

Happy trails,
Old 03-07-2015, 10:54 PM   #35

BTW, no one has mentioned the Blue Ox WD hitches. They are so much quieter than the Equalizer" brand and so easy to install and set up.
Here's a video for anyone interested:
Blue Ox Products

Happy trails,
Old 03-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #36

Glad I found this thread. Can I add my question as well? I read that Equal-i-zer hitches are pretty popular. Going on the Equal-i-zer website, I see this model rated for 1k/10k for $765.
E-trailers has a model for $465 rated for 1.4k/14k. What am I missing?
Old 03-18-2015, 03:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
Glad I found this thread. Can I add my question as well? I read that Equal-i-zer hitches are pretty popular. Going on the Equal-i-zer website, I see this model rated for 1k/10k for $765.
That hitch doesn't include the shank, which you will need.

What trailer do you have? WD hitches aren't a "bigger is better" proposition. If you oversize your hitch it will cause jarring and won't distribute the weight smoothly like it should.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:05 PM   #38
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
Not sure why you would think the MSRP on the manufacturer's website, would be the real world price.
You need to Google it or go to RVW's website to get better prices.
RVW has some of the best prices and they have free shipping.
I think the 1,000/10,000 4-pt. Equal-i-zer costs around $450 from them. And it comes with the shank.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Not sure why you would think the MSRP on the manufacturer's website, would be the real world price.
You need to Google it or go to RVW's website to get better prices.
RVW has some of the best prices and they have free shipping.
I think the 1,000/10,000 4-pt. Equal-i-zer costs around $450 from them. And it comes with the shank.

+1

I purchased my first Equalizer from someone a little cheaper than RVW only to find that is was scratched up and appeared to be either a display model or one that had been returned. I sent it back and got one that was in new condition from RVWholesalers. Granted, it is a large metal item that has been chunked around in shipping, so they will all have some scratches, but not chunks missing where bolts have been installed and torqued.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:33 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
I pull with a Hensley and recommend it over the propride for several reasons that I won't get into here. A google search can reveal those easily enough.

ProPride positives:

No need to drill holes in the frame
Adjustable shank- no need to spend $$$ sending in old shank for exchange every time you change truck or trailer(unless new one is exact same height as old)
No fading orange paint after a few months use
Larger stinger receiver for easier hitching process
Less Expensive
Fewer parts- no need for an "emergency kit" like you need with spare parts for the Hensley

Hensley positives:

Lighter weight- less material on the shank primarily because it is non-adjustable
No issue with WD jacks torquing over under load. I made some backing plates that cured this- I understand ProPride offers some as well.

I'm open to hearing others- these are the primary differences I've discovered through my research and use of the PP. Keep in mind that Jim Hensley designed the Hensley hitch AND the ProPride hitch- the ProPride being the design that he considered an upgrade that addressed shortfalls of the original. Both are great hitches and do what they claim- one just happens to be cheaper and does it in a more user friendly way, IMHO.

Tags
hitch, weight