Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #1

Well it tried!

The air conditioner that is... Just back from a few days taking the grandkids out.
Inside temp would be 75 in the morning and 90 by mid afternoon.
Outside temps were over 100 each day. Ac just could not keep up.
Not surprised but just checking ... Your experience any different??

I had no shade until after three.
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthelen View Post
The air conditioner that is... Just back from a few days taking the grandkids out.
Inside temp would be 75 in the morning and 90 by mid afternoon.
Outside temps were over 100 each day. Ac just could not keep up.
Not surprised but just checking ... Your experience any different??

I had no shade until after three.
Our TT has been sitting in the parking lot next to our house all summer, with crazy temps in the 90's and 100's. No shade whatsoever. Since our house A/C isn't working, we've spent quite a few nights in the TT and it has had NO problem keeping up. We're not going in and out all day long and are mainly using it at night to get some relief while sleeping. We keep the shades and blinds down all day. We have the 13K BTU unit.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #3

it has been my experience and i am of the opinion that in any trailer longer than 26ft and in temps over 90, a single 13k a/c will not cool well....especially as bodies (btu's) are added....maybe if you could get full shade all day you might have a fighting chance...

i run dual 15k units in my 31ft'er, and while they will keep 72 in 103+ degrees and full sun, even then they tend to run a good majority of the day....give me partial shade, and they will have you wearing a blanket to watch tv....

the dual units and 50amp service were on my TOP priority when shopping...being in west tx, we use the a/c until october sometimes!
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

We have not had that much trouble keeping the temps comfortable. I never actually took a reading, but I can tell you it never got into the 90's. I'm wondering if you may have some airflow problems. I've seen where some people have gotten inside the ducts and cleared stuff and greatly increased their airflow. Maybe something to look into.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Been my experience that keeping the thermostat set at 80 works best when the temps outside are high. You will still feel cool when you enter from outside and you will allow the unit to cycle to keep the coils from icing up and reduce cooling effect.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
We have not had that much trouble keeping the temps comfortable. I never actually took a reading, but I can tell you it never got into the 90's. I'm wondering if you may have some airflow problems. I've seen where some people have gotten inside the ducts and cleared stuff and greatly increased their airflow. Maybe something to look into.
Unit is ducted to the bedroom and that cools as well as the main living area where the unit is. So i am thinking the ducts arte not blocked.

We do keep the temp set to 80 during the day and only move it down later in the evening and the temps have gone down. Usually we set at about 77, moved it down to 75 overnight to give it a little "headstart" the next day.

I think the unit is just undersized for those kind of temps.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #7

Its hard to say any one specific parameter is the issue......you have to take into account the poor r value of most units, humidity, and ambient temp......and of course sun exposure.....

Ive run just one of my 15k units while in the shade and low humidty at 100degrees and managed to maintain mid 70s....unit ran like 80% duty cycle......

Same 100degrees in 40% humidity and full sun takes both units and 95% duty cycle to maintain mid to low 70s....

I usually set the back a/c to 74 and the front one to 76.....as the front one vents right over the sofa and it can get cold....

When i first got the unit i wanted to see what it could do so i set both a/c to 65 while it was parked in full sun at my shop and 98 outside....after 4 hours it was 68 inside....this was just with me and my wife there.....doing a little loading .....drapes closed, entry and exit at a minimum...

It was quickly obvious how NOT well sealed a trailer is as my front storage compartment was 78 and the drawers in my rear outside kitchen could double as a fridge....lol...
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #8

I have a Rockwood 2604 with the 15k unit. Overall it does a great job. One day when we had the grand kids over (the doors opening and closing thru out the day); I noticed the A/C was running continuously that evening. I felt the air coming out was not as cold. I remembered that an American Motors Concord that I had years ago would freeze up when it was over worked. I decided to turn off the A/C for about 30 minutes and keep the fan running. When I turned on the A/C again it was coming out ice cold again. Something to keep in mind, if the air coming out is not significantly colder than the air in the room (I think about 22 degrees if I remember correctly), you could have that problem.
thull87814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thull87814 View Post
I have a Rockwood 2604 with the 15k unit. Overall it does a great job. One day when we had the grand kids over (the doors opening and closing thru out the day); I noticed the A/C was running continuously that evening. I felt the air coming out was not as cold. I remembered that an American Motors Concord that I had years ago would freeze up when it was over worked. I decided to turn off the A/C for about 30 minutes and keep the fan running. When I turned on the A/C again it was coming out ice cold again. Something to keep in mind, if the air coming out is not significantly colder than the air in the room (I think about 22 degrees if I remember correctly), you could have that problem.
Good thought, I did not notice a change in the output temp, but did not check specifically. If I get in that situation again, I will pay close attention.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

The AC needs to cycle to keep from freezing up. If it is humid, you can not run the temp down to "make it colder" you will just make ice on the coils and it will run constantly and not remove the humidity or cool.

My technique is to set the thermostat for 10 degrees cooler than the outside air temp. On 100 plus days, this means setting 85 or 90 to make sure it cycles. I also open the "dumps" on the air handler to direct the majority of the air into the living space during the day, and close them at night so the air is sent to the ceiling vents.

By keeping the temp setting high and the fan on HIGH, you will still get a dehumidifying effect and the higher temps will seem nice compared to outside where it is hot AND humid.

The air conditioner will cycle and not ice up.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote