Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #1

What type of roofing material do I have?

I am trying to find out what type of roof I have. I have a 2015 26RLWS. Where do I find this info? I looked through my paperwork and couldn't find it.
74 nights camped in 2016, 121 nights camped in 2015
Cmccul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:28 PM   #2

If it's textured it's most likely Alpha, otherwise EPDM.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:36 PM   #3

Our 2010 had the Rubber roof !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #4

When we bought our new 5er I had the same questions. It did not tell me in any of the paperwork. To know for sure, just go into the bathroom and remove the trim around the fan. Your roof material will be overlapped into the opening. All you have to do is look at the back side of the material. If it is black you have an EPDM roof. If it is all one color it will be TPO.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Here is what Alpha, the manufacturer of most TPO/Alpha-Ply roof material FR uses has to say in their FAQ...

"Do I have a rubber roof membrane?"

"Rubber roof (also known as “EPDM”) membranes are smooth. TPO and Alpha-Ply roof membranes have a haircel texture, which can be likened to an orange peel."

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:57 AM   #6
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

I used to work for a manufacture of these products. All new trailers are using thermoplastic polyolefin. It's been around for a little over 20 yrs, but has had many formulation changes. Regardless it is the most widely used single ply roofing membrane used for commercial building enclosures. Bottom line the raw material costs are cheaper, therefore the value engineering is used. The third generation product holds up well to grease and other chemicals. It is easy to repair any holes that may occur. Pressure sensitive tape is used or it can be heat welded. Any building supply distributor will have some. Carlisle, Firestone, JM all make it. Like any single ply just make sure to inspect sealant as it is a maintenance item that shrinks over time due to UV. What happened to EPDM you say? Well nothing it is still around but just the price per sqft is more. The sheet goes back to the late 70's. The true EPDM is black and has great elongation properties. The white sheet does not have as long if a track record. It is more in line with 20yrs. Carbon black is what makes it a good performer. The white has titanium dioxide in it to make it white. EPDM come reinforced and non-reinforced. You want the scrim in the sheet to give it greater puncture strength and tear resistance. In the trailers the non-reinforced is/was always used to keep costs down. Repair of it is a little more dependent on making sure the sheet is very clean prior to tape being used to repair, like a bike tire patch. It cannot be manipulated with heat as that will break it down. EPDM is not as chemical resistant as thermoplastics. Any grease or petroleum will cause a failure of the physical properties. Painting the rubber will prolong its life.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:35 PM   #7

what roof material

Quote:
Originally Posted by saus View Post
When we bought our new 5er I had the same questions. It did not tell me in any of the paperwork. To know for sure, just go into the bathroom and remove the trim around the fan. Your roof material will be overlapped into the opening. All you have to do is look at the back side of the material. If it is black you have an EPDM roof. If it is all one color it will be TPO.
I tried your suggestion to determine my roof material on my new-to-me 2011 Sunseeker, but there is not material overlapping into the opening. I tried both the shower fan and a salon vent. Also screws were rusty and wood was moist. So does it matter? What kind of caulking should I use to try and seal it up for leaks? I have leaks everywhere. thanks
Old 04-17-2021, 01:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sglynn55 View Post
I tried your suggestion to determine my roof material on my new-to-me 2011 Sunseeker, but there is not material overlapping into the opening. I tried both the shower fan and a salon vent. Also screws were rusty and wood was moist. So does it matter? What kind of caulking should I use to try and seal it up for leaks? I have leaks everywhere. thanks
This is not correct. TPO also has a black underside. If it is white then it is a PVC. If the single-ply is black throughout THEN it is an EPDM.

Old 04-17-2021, 01:58 AM   #9

roof material

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarks View Post
This is not correct. TPO also has a black underside. If it is white then it is a PVC. If the single-ply is black throughout THEN it is an EPDM.
But where can I see it? It doesn't show in my vents.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sglynn55 View Post
Use Eternabond self-adhesive to redo seams. For a immediate "temporary sealant" then use a Dicor lap sealant of sort.

Tags
roo, roof