Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #1

What's up with the pressure change?

Last week while I was in the shower in the VLite, the BOSS walks in and flushes the toilet(don't ask). We're married OK! The water pressure drops to just about nothing while she holds down the pedal. I said what the help, she then lets up on the pedal. The water pressure comes back up and with more force than before. I have the Oxygenics showerhead but with no cutoff switch and of course a water pressure regulator on the faucet outside. From then on, everytime when one of us would take our shower, the other would have to go in there and give it a flush!

Any ideas what is going on?

I like it!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #2

Half inch pipe feeding everything in a typical system. Open it "wide open" like an RV toilet does, and there's no residual pressure remaining in the system to push any water. I'm betting that you were operating off of the tank and pump, rather than from a pressurized system. If it WAS a pressurized system, then it was likely at 30 PSI or less, with minimal volume....

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #3

Nope, straight out of the ground. Never have put a drop into my FW tank or even turned on my pump.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #4

Still, it's a half inch pipe (inside diameter even smaller). Indoor (stick house) plumbing is at least 1/2" and is fed at higher pressure. Plus, with indoor plumbing, the feed to the toilet is much smaller tube, so it doesn't "steal" as much water from other uses.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #5

I guess what I'm wondering, why would the water flow be stronger after that 1 toilet flush? Made taking a shower a quicker endeaver. Almost like home!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Maybe it's a coincidence but if it was a well at the cg they have pumps that build up to x amount of pressure then shut of till the pressure drops down to a pre determined x kick on pressure.
So the water pressure will rise and lower with use.

Just a thought.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:00 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
of course a water pressure regulator on the faucet outside.
I think it is in your water pressure regulator.

Picture it as side A (in) which is the campground side....then your regulator......then side B (out) which is your trailer.

Your regulator could be limiting pressure by controlling flow. When first opened, it allows flow with a limited pressure. It allows side B to be the pressure that the regulator is set for.

While showering, when you flush the toilet at the same time the pressure drops enough on Side B that the regulator allows more flow by opening more.. When the toilet valve is closed the pressure does not rise enough on Side B to create a problem so the regulator is staying open...so more water is flowing in and you see it in the shower..

Once you turn the shower off, the pressure builds up enough on side B, that the regulator closes to maintain the pre-set pressure.....so you are starting all over again the next time you use the shower/toilet combo.

It should be easy to test. Take the regulator out and try the same scenario to see if the difference goes away. That way you know it’s the regulator.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_a...regulator_work

You also might want to consider replacing the regulator, especially if it's one of the $10 kind.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
While showering, when you flush the toilet at the same time the pressure drops enough on Side B that the regulator allows more flow by opening more.. When the toilet valve is closed the pressure does not rise enough on Side B to create a problem so the regulator is staying open...so more water is flowing in and you see it in the shower..

Once you turn the shower off, the pressure builds up enough on side B, that the regulator closes to maintain the pre-set pressure.....so you are starting all over again the next time you use the shower/toilet combo.
I was re-reading what I typed and see I may not have explained it clearly. It was 2 in the morning. LOL

Let me add a little as I can't edit my previous post:

While showering, when you flush the toilet at the same time the pressure drops enough on Side B that the regulator allows more flow by opening more.. When the toilet valve is closed the pressure does not rise enough on Side B to create a problem so the regulator is staying open...so more water is flowing in and you see it in the shower.

The reason for this is you now have increased flow coming out of your shower that keeps the pressure lower on side B, thus keeping the regulator opened more. The amount of water coming out of your shower head is now as much, if not more than what was being used when the toilet flushed with the shower running. You probably could just open up the cold water valve on any sink and see the same result as flushing the toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I have the Oxygenics showerhead but with no cutoff switch
If you had a shower head with a cut-off, then utilizing it would also let the pressure on side B build back up to the point the regulator throttles the water flow back again. By the water constantly flowing with your showerhead, the pressure is not able to build back up on side B enough for the regulator to sense it needs to throttle back the flow..

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #9

I'm not complaining about the rise in water pressure. Of course, without a gauge on the water flow I can't say how much more pressure I'm getting. I know the pipes can only stand up to so much pressure before problems start happening. I don't think I'm there yet. Yes, I use one of those $10(or less) regulators from WM! I'm scared to buy one of the expensive ones because I have left one on a faucet upon leaving a site.

Thanks boys for all the free advice!