Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2007, 05:48 PM   #1

wheel bearings

I've got a 07 flagstaff lite 5th wheel, with 5,000 miles on it. I burned up a wheel bearing on a short trip (150 mi.) Was able to remove tire and limp back to dealer on remaining tire (2 axle). Found all sorts of interesting info. 1. grease in other wheels had spun out of bearings leaving them all dry. (dealer said inferior grease at factory is common). 2. found bearings (made in china) were not true. In bearing housing, roller bearing sat 1/8" from bottom of housing rotating bearing found other bearings were down to 1/16" or closer, so load bearing was not equal. Having dealer change all bearings to a better one like timkin. Have letter and phone call in to forest river to see if they"ll cover it, it's still under warranty but not for the better parts. Thought you might be interested if you have a like unit.
Darrell Downing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #2

So sad our hard earned money has to go to things like this.

Let us know the outcome and I would be interested in the timken numbers if you get them.

Just checked my bearings two weeks ago and they looked good for now.
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:04 AM   #3

Hi darrell, I just had a problem with a front right bearing. Check to see if you have an AL-KO axle, If you do you can call AL-KO and ask for Chris, they may be able to help you direct. The number is 574-294-6651. I posted my problem earler under the thread AL-KO AXLE. The axle assemble is shipped to Forest River as a complete unit, then Forest River installs it on the frame. I will tell you one thing that I was told about bearings, don't be surprised if they say it's a maintance issue form the manufacture. This is there way out form poor workmenship. good luck,I hope they help you.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:26 PM   #4

bearings

Dealer replaced all 4 wheel bearings.Not with timkin but a level above what I had........I wasn't privy to the manufacture of the bearing, but was pleased they replaced all and the upgrade they absorbed..Forest River said only "like parts", but that would set me up for failure. Dealer stepped up and ate any overide as it hasn't cost me yet. The people I dealt with at Forest River were quite freindly and tried to help. No complaints on their behalf, but wondered about there components that they sell to us. 5,ooo miles is way to early for a bearing problem, had this wheel come off and caused an accident who would be liable? All said and done, love the trailer and hope all problems are past.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #5

It is an AL-KO axle. Thanks for the tip
Old 10-27-2007, 07:50 AM   #6

I am glad it all worked out for you. When I called AL-KO about mine I ask,at what temp should the drum be at the wheel bearings,they said no more then 180 degreases this is a normal temp. If it starts to increase then problem are starting. Hopefully for you the bearings are pack correctly and the bearing nut is not too tight. I suggest keep an eye on all 4 wheels for temp change, I use a temp gun on mine, the out side of the drum will be hotter because of the brakes. Good luck and happy camper.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings, flagstaff