Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
RAC

When to Winterize

I'm comfortable on the "how", but "when" should one winterize?? I have irrigation well pumps which I don't winterize until we have 2 consecutive days of 32F or below. Is there a "rule of thumb" for Trailers?
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #2

I winterize mine in early November but we will get freezing nights before you will on the coast.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:49 PM   #3

you should probably start tomorrow
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
RAC

I actually assumed someone would know.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
It's a judgement call on your weather conditions.
Up here in 'THE DEVIL'S ARMPIT', we generally have to winterize in September. Nights are already dropping into the lower 40's, so it's not far off.

When the first threat of freezing temps arrive...I do it.
This year I will probably pay the fee and have them do it while I watch. I have ALWAYS done it myself in the past, but this trailer has ice makers and systems I don't feel comfortable winterizing without some guidance.

My rule of thumb would have to be...get 'r done early enough to not cause damage...or gray hairs worrying about it.

The nice thing is...as soon as I winterize...the weather will get better. Mother Nature hates me.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:06 PM   #6

We winterize our camper the first or second weekend in Oct when the campground we stay gets ready to close
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredArmyCWO View Post
I actually assumed someone would know.
Now why would you assume that??

I don't winterize mine past blowing the water out of the lines and emptying the waterheater in late Nov. I keep my fresh tank full. It doesn't get cold enough here for anything other then that, besides I use mine year round and I like to be able to just hookup and go.

It's good to live in the South
Old 08-14-2007, 09:06 PM   #8

We winterize the week after Thanksgiving here as we usually make that the last weekend of the season.

If It get's below or near freezing for two nights in a row before then I put a small ceramic heater in the unit and make sure all tanks are drained and open the facuets.

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:47 AM   #9
RAC

That sounds reasonable mike. I was thinking I could do the same thing. We "plan" on camping year round, so I was going to use my "rule" of 2 consecutive days predicted where the temp doesn't get above 32.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:46 AM   #10

how often does it freeze in your area? we get maybe 10-20 days total with only a few in the 20's or upper teens.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #11
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I've never had a problem doing the following, nor have any of my friends who do the same.

Assuming you are planning on continuing to use your trailer, and as long as it is consistently above freezing during the day, you are generally good to go. If that concerns you then, as a three minute precautionary measure, pop the safety valve on the water heater and open all faucets and your low point drains. Don't forget to drain the fresh water tank and run the pump to make sure there is no water in the pump.

When the temps are going to be below freezing for more than 24 to 36 hours and you are no longer planning on using the trailer, do the antifreeze thing.

I would suggest that in the Richmond area you might generally want to winterize around late October.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:32 PM   #12

Can anyone help me locate the low-point drains on my 2005 Flagstaff 23FBS?

Thanks in advance.
pduggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggan View Post
Can anyone help me locate the low-point drains on my 2005 Flagstaff 23FBS?

Thanks in advance.
I have yet to find mine on my 26RKS but have never had an issue with winterizing. I did see two pipes under the bathroom area but never found anyplace to open them. I think they were overflow pipes if the sink or bath tub overflowed. I ran the antifreeze through the entire system and had no problems. I am in my third year with it and have no leaks yet so I must assume there are none.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff