Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #1

Where do I put the satellite receiver?

Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but after looking at Rockwood/Flagstaff Micro and Mini Lite models, where can you place a satellite receiver for line of sight operation? I have a DISH 211z receiver, using a King Tailgater.
Famoussenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Most people buy portable tripods to sit them on. If you mount it to your RV you will inevitably park under trees and they will block the signal. By using a tripod, you can position it with a clear view. Some people even sit them on the ground.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Most people buy portable tripods to sit them on. If you mount it to your RV you will inevitably park under trees and they will block the signal. By using a tripod, you can position it with a clear view. Some people even sit them on the ground.
I understood the OP to be talking about a "satellite receiver", not an antenna. My receiver sits on a shelf under my main TV but that doesn't seem like an option for the OP.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:28 PM   #4

Why would a receiver need "Line of Site for Operation" ??
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I understood the OP to be talking about a "satellite receiver", not an antenna. My receiver sits on a shelf under my main TV but that doesn't seem like an option for the OP.
Boy, did I jump right over that! My old mind latched on King Tailgater, and away we went!
Old 01-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Why would a receiver need "Line of Site for Operation" ??
Because the remote is an IR type. The OP could buy a Wally (not expensive) and not have to worry about line of sight. Much smaller, less heat and Wally uses RF for remote.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #7

I use an app, SatFinder lite 1.5.13. It allows me to see the satellites on the southern sky.

I had mine sitting on the ground, locked to the camper. It worked fine.
My problem was keeping dogs from peeing on it. ( Talking to the dog worked better than speaking with the owner. )

To get around this and make it harder to steal, I mounted it to the roof. Using the app to avoid trees and the like.

I had the 211z and the Wally is better. It is screwed to a shelf. The remote works thru walls.
n0ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:56 PM   #8

I think you can put it anywhere. I run my small bedroom TV off an HDMI cable and the receiver pick up the remote from the bedroom even though it is in the living room. I have the Playmaker with a wally.
yakmeat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Because the remote is an IR type. The OP could buy a Wally (not expensive) and not have to worry about line of sight. Much smaller, less heat and Wally uses RF for remote.
Got it !! never dealt with them. Good knowledge to have.

Have a Tailgater mounted to the roof of our cabin we bought last fall, but have never used it yet. I'm picking up what everyone is laying down. At work and mind going in 20 different directions.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:17 PM   #10

Wally

If the OP means the actually receiver and not the tailgater/antenna, then the other poster was correct... get the RF model, available from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IL14MI0/
works like a charm... can be used from the bedroom behind a wall. The trick is where to connect the coax cable. Some models like mine have only one coax connector in the A/V cabinet and with the antenna switch in or out it only seems to want to connect to shore cable or the antenna and NOT to satellite antenna. @#$%^&* It was the same in my sunseeker and I finally mounted a separate coax port on the outside
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IAAJVFW/
and drilled thru and ran a separate coax cable from the back of the port to the A/V cabinet and an A/B switch. If anyone knows a simpler way (other than running the cable out the window which we have done) I am all ears. Otherwise Forest River, I hope you are listening and correct this GROSS oversight.
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:03 PM   #11
Retired Navy

My receiver/controller is IR linked. I have the receiver in a glass front storage compartment next to the TV. I had to place some lumber under the receiver to get the IR port above the door frame edge, but it seems to work.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:04 PM   #12
Chris and Cecil

Where to put your satellite receiver

Oh, I am so glad I can finally HELP someone! We have a Microlite 25FKS and ours was on the floor under the TV with dangling cables everywhere. After queries here, we found the space above the frig is empty. So we opened up that empty space above the refrigerator and put ours there! Perfect line of sight from the dinette (BTW, before we leave on our long trip this spring we're taking out the dinette and replacing with 2 recliners, like a couple of others on this forum)

The space above our frig is hollow but DH was really clenching (his term, not mine) when he cut into it thinking he was going to ruin something. Yours should be hollow too. We left the trim on and just took out the panel. Tidied up the inside with rubberized shelf liner and put the receiver on top of a piece of solid reflective insulation so the heat from it doesn't affect the freezer since it's directly under that panel. Put an extension rod across the front of the opening and it rides safely. Then we used paintable cable covers to hide all the thousands of cables and it hooks into the TV just fine.

If you'd like pics I'll send but don't have any right now.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:08 PM   #13
Canadian Member

This might be a less expensive solution for the OP.

https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Repea...ck+IR+Repeater

Up here in Canada, while Bell TV satellite uses some of the same Echostar receivers as Dish Network, not all Dish receivers will work. The Wally won’t work with Bell TV so an IR repeater may be the only solution other than a mount for the receiver in a location that will provide a line of sight.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:23 PM   #14

My Wally is velcroed to the wall behind the tv in the camper out of sight.

I remove it at home and use it on the back porch.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #15

Here ya go

Ok here is solution to any and all IR & Remote issues. Go wireless and hide the receivers/cables.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H43X6YQ...1-55944d4ed8db
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IR TRANS.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	195240  
RECONUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrosecity View Post
If the OP means the actually receiver and not the tailgater/antenna, then the other poster was correct... get the RF model, available from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IL14MI0/
works like a charm... can be used from the bedroom behind a wall. The trick is where to connect the coax cable. Some models like mine have only one coax connector in the A/V cabinet and with the antenna switch in or out it only seems to want to connect to shore cable or the antenna and NOT to satellite antenna. @#$%^&* It was the same in my sunseeker and I finally mounted a separate coax port on the outside
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IAAJVFW/
and drilled thru and ran a separate coax cable from the back of the port to the A/V cabinet and an A/B switch. If anyone knows a simpler way (other than running the cable out the window which we have done) I am all ears. Otherwise Forest River, I hope you are listening and correct this GROSS oversight.

With a separate cable what is the A/B switch for?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #17

A/B switch

Bubble: The A/B switch is so I can easily change the input to the TV from Satellite to cable or antenna in locations where satellite isn't accessible. Connect the TV to the A/B switch and then A goes to the new satellite coax connection and B goes to the integrated coax which switches between cable and roof antenna with the antenna booster switch.

If anyone out there knows a simpler setup, please share it. But seems to me Forest River is woefully negligent on their design in this regard... and also with regard to there being no HDMI connection to the bedroom. In a 2019 unit???? Gimme a break FR!!!
Old 01-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #18

So you are not using the HDMI sat receiver out port and instead using just coax to the TV.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:15 AM   #19

Overview: This will transmit any HDMI signal from any SAT Receiver/TV to anything up to 180 feet. NO WIRING IN THE RV

The JTECH-WDEX-50M is an innovative transmitter and receiver pair is capable of streaming full HD 1080p video with support for the latest movie content up to 164 ft. away within the same room, with only a 180ms delay. The JTECH-WDEX-50M is much smaller than previous J-Tech Digital wireless HDMI extenders or any wireless extender on the market. The JTECH-WDEX-50M is great for on-site transmissions, ideal for anyone looking to move their source device around, such as a camera, or for any set up that relies on a quick and easy change of sources, such as switching to different laptops in a conference room. The transmitter requires no HDMI cable and is a dongle form factor that is powered by USB. This allows the user to be cable free and will no longer be tied down by power outlets. For maximum portability and convenience, power the transmitter and receiver with a 5VDC power bank to enable any monitoring configuration your application may need. https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digita...wireless&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI WIRE.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	195365  
RECONUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:12 PM   #20

[QUOTE=RECONUSMC;2011859 Overview: This will transmit any HDMI signal from any SAT Receiver/TV to anything up to 180 feet. NO WIRING IN THE RV - [url]https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Wireless-Supporting-PassThrough/dp/B07983YRPH/[/url]
-------------

Well I bought one of these a while back and couldn't get any sound transmission... video only. There are all kinds of troubleshooting tips but I gave up and returned it. I am looking to fish an extra long HDMI cable from the main cabin to the bedroom... helluva lot more reliable than these wireless solutions

Tags
lite, satellite