Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2011, 06:55 AM   #1

Which GPS

Hi All,
I know this had been discussed in depth before, but I want to bring the subject up again, now that all three units have now been released for a while. I'm considering one of these units: Garmin 465T, Rand McNally RVND5510 (or 7710) and the Megellon Pro 9165T. Anyone have positive or negative comments of which is the best for RV use? Please limit the discussion to these three units, because everyone wants t boost about the particular unit they have. These are the newest GPS units to claim use for RVers, and I want to hear about the pro and con of these three units. I'll appreciate all input, as I am ready to purchase one depending on the input I get here. Again, just discus these three units, please.
Chillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
2011 Berkshire 390bh

We have the Garmin 465t. Overall it is a good unit, but like any GPS, it has its limits. There are times it will give you routes that just don't really make a lot of sense. Also, the Garmin is meant for trucks as well as RV's. This means that sometimes it will tell you that you are not supposed to be on a particular road when the road is restricted for trucks, not RV's.

I like the Garmin, but I always preplan my trips with Microsoft's Streets and Trips and then I check out the good old paper maps, just to be safe. Bottom line for any and all GPS units is, know where you are supposed to go before you leave. Use the GPS unit to put you in the right lane on the highway you know you are supposed to be on. I also have the traffic update on mine and I have found that to be rarely accurate.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #3

None they are all crazy. The one I have will send me different depending the day and the weather to the same address, then bring me back another.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Consider using a smart phone. These stand-alone GPS units will be dinosaurs very soon.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #5

Please limit your comments to the three referenced GPS units. There are other, more pertinent, forums where they can be added.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #6

I have experience with both Garmin and Magellen, sorry, not the models listed, but my opinion the Garmin is much superior, more user friendly and better information than the Magellen....

Hope that helps
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:09 AM   #7

I agree with you. I now own a Garmin and the maps are getting outdated. But the cost of updating the maps is prohibitive - I might as well buy a new updated GPS - cause for my original posting. I'm surprised that more are not commenting - or is nobody buying either of these three units. I was under the impression that they were the three most popular GPS for RV travel.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly View Post
Hi All,
I know this had been discussed in depth before, but I want to bring the subject up again, now that all three units have now been released for a while. I'm considering one of these units: Garmin 465T, Rand McNally RVND5510 (or 7710) and the Megellon Pro 9165T. Anyone have positive or negative comments of which is the best for RV use? Please limit the discussion to these three units, because everyone wants t boost about the particular unit they have. These are the newest GPS units to claim use for RVers, and I want to hear about the pro and con of these three units. I'll appreciate all input, as I am ready to purchase one depending on the input I get here. Again, just discus these three units, please.
We have a few different Garmins, the 465T is a little annoying to me as it will only route you on "truck" routes which in some locations can take you a considerable distance out of your way. I am planning on picking up the new Rand McNally to give it a try and see if it is any better, I really only want a GPS that will alert me to low bridges or some other hindrance in a route vs follow a truck route as such.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #9

The biggest thing I have found useful when RVing- make sure your GPS allows you to enter your destination as co-ordinates. Most campsites have their co-ordinates; or you can get it from Google Maps.

My old GPS didn't have this function; but my new one does. (Sorry- I don't recall the model at the moment.)

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #10

I use a Garmin also
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #11

OK – Here is an update. I first bought the Garmin 465T. I found it to be nothing more than a standard GPS with the ability to input your height and length. It probably is sufficient for truck drivers but not for RVers. I returned it and bought a Magellen Pro 9165T. This unit is also just for truck drivers, but it does have the Good Sam parks database. It is a nice GPS, but lacks a lot. You can input your height, length, and the size of your LP tanks. You can also configure your RV as a truck pulling 1 or 2 trailers. I think this is again mostly setup for truck drivers. I also returned it and bought the Rand McNally RVND 7710. This is the only GPS us RVers should be considering. It has about everything an RVer would ever need. There is optional traffic problems and lifetime map updates. The screen is difficult to see in direct sunlight, a problem many GPS units have, because it gets washed out. This screen is probably more difficult to see than others because it is more of a computer monitor screen than a GPS screen. The brightness needs to be increased. I found 3rd party companies who sell hoods and screen glare protectors which make it much easier to see the screen. I won’t go into a review – you can go to the Rand McNally website and search for the user manual for the RVND 5510, which is the same, except for a few additional capabilities. The bottom line is that, finally, there is a GPS which is tailored exactly to the needs of the RVer. There really isn’t anything missing. It has everything. I’m very impressed with it. I don’t think there is any competition out there. You won’t be disappointed.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #12

Why I bought a Garmin Nuvi 2595LMT.
I have owned many voice command systems in my car from both Magellan and Garmin. I use my gps in my car and in my truck when pulling my 5th wheel and don't need a very expensive RV GPS.
I have many books that tell me about all the campgrounds and I know not to go under bridges less than 12ft 6 inches and that is why I don't need a $400 plus dollar RV GPS.

I had a Magellan Maestro 4050 with voice command since 2008 and decided to look around for a new one with a few more bells and whistles. I spent a week solid reading reviews and was ready to buy a Nuvi 3490LMT ($400) but kept on reading about software issues and after trying on at BestBuy didn't see it worth $400 for a few additional features.
With that in mind I looked back to Magellan Roadmaster 1700 and a 4700 and even the 5175 Traveller and just couldn't find one that had the features I wanted.
So back to Garmin I looked and found out that The Nuvi 2595LMT ($250) had everything I like and needed and was $150 less than the NUVI 3490LMT.

What I liked in the Nuvi 2595LMT
5" screen
Voice Commands
Speaks street names, turn by turn
One button to save and name a location.
Free map and traffic for life
Highway Lane selection
Highway Exit enhancement
Highway speed for that highway
Speed limit exceeded notice
Pedestrian mode
Can change icons and voices
Has maps for most of Mexico
Select multiple routes and not just one
You can add coordinates in for a route which I use a lot.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #13

The Rand McNally RVND 7710 is a bit expensive at the advertised price of $399, or even at the $359 price at Camping World. However, there is nothing that compares with it feature for feature. If you are an RVer, there is nothing which competes with it. And now you can get it on-line for $319 which includes Lifetime Map Updates, which puts it in the ballpark with other GPS units. But once you see it, you won't even consider another GPS unit.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #14

Quote:
The Rand McNally RVND 7710 is a bit expensive at the advertised price of $399, or even at the $359 price at Camping World. However, there is nothing that compares with it feature for feature. If you are an RVer, there is nothing which competes with it. And now you can get it on-line for $319 which includes Lifetime Map Updates, which puts it in the ballpark with other GPS units. But once you see it, you won't even consider another GPS unit.
I haven't seen the free updates or lower price but that would make a difference. Isn't it 7" screen. I'd have to nail it to the dashboard.

Grueen, you ever make it back to Glendale AZ?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #15

Yes, it is a 7" screen. And, I have found that mounting up high near the rearview mirror is the ultimate location. This prevents a lot of sun glare and also gets it up out of the way. The more I use this GPS the more I like it. I just updated the maps on my old Garmin, but now probably won't use it much.

And, asking that question, you must be familiar with my profile and my book, "Campgrounds In And Around The Great Smoky Mountains National Park". We are planning a trip to Arizona next fall. I love Arizona, from the southern deserts up to the northern Pines! We leave on February 9th for a trip around the coastline of Florida, starting at Big Lagoon in Pensacola, across the panhandle, down the gulf coast, across alligator alley, down to Key West, and then back up the east coast. We will be staying at and reviewing 38 state parks in all. My new book about this area will be available sometime around the end of next year, and of course will be discounted for members of this forum.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #16

. . . Oh! And I forgot - you can enter a location by giving the coordinates.

But, I agree, it's not for everyone and every vehicle. It's bigger than my Mini-Cooper's windshield!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #17

. . . just kidding !!! I don't own a Mini-Cooper, although I wish I did. But seriously, this GPS is the first GPS really made for RVer's. It won't route you only on truck routes, but yet it will keep you from losing your air-conditioner. For me, it's everything I wanted in a GPS and more.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #18

Quote:
. . . just kidding !!! I don't own a Mini-Cooper, although I wish I did. But seriously, this GPS is the first GPS really made for RVer's. It won't route you only on truck routes, but yet it will keep you from losing your air-conditioner. For me, it's everything I wanted in a GPS and more.
I just modified my Garmin GPS for RV routes and low bridges.
If I'm on a highway with a bridge that is lower than my AC unit on the roof it says, "DUCK!" just before it hits.

Yes I did read your bio. and sounds like a great trip. I always wanted to hit the Keys in Florida but never hit the weather right to drive to the end.
Looking forward in hearing about your new book.
Stay warm.

Iggy in the cool part of Arizona.