Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Ah, you're not MY BOSS!
I tried....
Old 05-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #42
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
He won't read this thread...... TURBS
We know you don't go to sleep, you just pass out, sometimes when you are at "the place where other people work". Ms. Amy can verify this.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #43

Project done

I think.

Took me several days to finish what might have taken a professional a couple hours. It's been over 90* here the last few days and I can't take the heat like I used to, so I've been working in phases.

Took the interior garnish off, 4 screws.

Toted up the tools I thought I might need and of course up/down the ladder several times to get the one's I found out later I needed.

Went to work with a paint scraper on the Dicor and uncovered the screw heads, removed the screws and then pried the scraper under the vent edges to loosen the butyl tape underneath.

After going all the way around, I was able pry the vent up and out.

Cleaning the old Dicor and butyl tape is the hardest part of this job. What a mess! After scraping as much as I could, I used a rag dampened with mineral spirits and wiped it around. Waited a few minutes to let it loosen. Then used the scraper again. It went from a gummy mess to a gooey mess. But I got most of it off. Wiped it up with a damp rag and let it dry.

I then went inside and stripped the wires I suspected were where I was going to get power. Clipped my meter to the wires and as was previously discussed in earlier threads, the red striped was the negative and the white positive. Turned the battery disconnect back off and went inside the house to cool off and to let the mineral spirit area dry out.

Back up top, used the new butyl tape around the bottom edge of the Fantastic Fan and placed the assembly in the hole.

I had to drill 4 more holes(2 on each side) so my vent cover would fit.

Put screws all the way around. I guess I was naïve(imagine that) about roof construction, but I would think that the plywood would be more than .25" thick. And the screws might need to be bigger than what was supplied.

Used a whole tube of Dicor around the edges and all screw heads.

Reinstalled the vent cover. Cleaned up all my toys and went inside to wire up.

Tied the wires together with wire nuts and used the new garnish. I thought I might be able to use the old garnish but it has rounded corners on the top inside and I needed the new one that had square corners.

There was a plastic foam "gasket" in the box and I thought it might be a noise/vibration help around the edge of the garnish. I didn't like the way it looked so I didn't use it there.

So the project is finished, I hope, and we'll see how well it does for us.

For some reason my pics won't load. Maybe tomorrow.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:37 PM   #44

I don't know what's going on but for some reason I can't upload my pics of the project.
Never had a problem before. Oh well, if you want pics, PM me and I maybe can email some to you.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, vent