Old 05-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljag View Post
Don't care where they are built, or by whom, but RV quality control does need to get much better!
I know some folks who own a airstream that would disagree. But have you ever priced out a airstream? About 75k for TT.

2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #32
Plain Old Member

Funny you mentioned Airstream. I'd never buy one, due to $$$, but I was doing a little digging last week on those. If you dig enough, those rigs have plenty of issues, and having to deal with Airstream specific parts is a pain. I always figured they were less likely to leak as well. Quite the contrary from what I read.

Like the FR Aviator, you just need deep pockets and have to want one I guess.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #33

For the price of an Airstream, one would figure their QC was on top of any corporation in the country. A leak you would think would be nonexistent. We looked at few of them and wasn't really fond of the Miami Vice looking interiors. No slides either so they are tight.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #34

[QUOTE=Long Islander;608477]I direct a department at my employment and if my QC department did there quality control like the way Flagstaff does, I'd fire them.

You could fire the QC department time and time again but get the same results until management decides to raise their standards and enforce them appropriately through out the process. This includes Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality and generally everybody else. In the ISO Quality Management System, this is called Management Responsibility.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #35

The problem is we buy them regardless of the issues we find. If we stopped buying based on their QC, we could see a better quality product. But...we buy them as fast as they can make them which means quantity over quality. The price is still up there for a quality product. Is there room for improvement? Oh yes. I would say the manufacturer that really focuses on their final product could win hugely. Just look at what is on the lot. The hoses and wiring would make me send each unit back. If the next unit comes out the same way, fire them and hire someone who can do it right.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #36
Mod free 5er

Had our 2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS since Feb 2012 and it was back to dealer for a broken gear on the ds landing jack. Lippert problem and nothing to do with Flagstaff. Dealer half-a--ed fixed it and I removed and did it correctly. No other issues other than toilet not shutting off completely last winter and again this winter. Last winter Thedford furnished a new valve, this winter I disassembled and lubed and now it is fine. I personally can't complain about Flagstaff QC. Just guess we just got lucky on the two Flagstaff trailers we've had.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #37

Well flagstaff receives the trailers and probably fails to look them over for future issues. When they arrive they are beat and banged, then beat and banged again in the yard before starting down the assembly line. When they get to the showers, somebody ran out of sealer on mine and let it continue down the line. Easy fix but should have been completed by the assembly line. Granted not every thing is perfect. Not my new house or my new truck. If man made it, it's possible something could go wrong. All in all we are completely satisfied with our Flagstaff. All of these TT companies have issues. Flagstaff is just a better product.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:51 PM   #38

I agree not good OC for the cost of these units. I have many things not anywhere near up to par and I am not a picky person just want good quality that I pay for.My last unit was considered an entry level much better quality control never had to take back or even consider it.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:49 AM   #39

I wonder if Forest River executives really care? Is it about fast cash and get out or is it a family business that cares? Seems more and more American companies are more concerned about making fast cash than quality. The pride of their product is dwindling. One would think FR (or every company) would see these and realize their downfalls.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:50 AM   #40
ARLO

Flagstaff 829 fkss

our Flagstaff has been wonderful. Two problems were fixed at the dealer, propane hoses and missing crank handle. One major problem was found at Goshen with our floor. They picked up the trailer where we live, replaced it at the factory and returned it to us all in about 4 weeks. The repair was excellent. I have personally visited the factory twice and was very impressed with the operation. We have 4 families in our camping group with Flagstaff/Rockwood trailers and all are very happy with our purchase. I would definitely buy another. We deal with Family RV in Palmyra NY. They seem to have a very good dealer prep process and inspect the trailer from front to back before delivery. We also had a comprehensive walk-thru at delivery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	188.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	52225