Old 04-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #1

Wifi solution

Going on a road trip for about for five weeks but I need Wi-Fi that's reliable every day anyone have any good ideas thank you

Majicdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Most use their cellphone as a hot spot.
Can't depend on campground WiFi.
Most have spotty and slow WiFi service.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:05 PM   #3

BYOWIFI

Bring Your Own WiFi. After traveling for 30 days last year I found all but one campground had poor to ineffective WiFi. At most of them, you could get simple email but may not be able to open attachments. Forget streaming movies or even music. I sometimes work from my FW, so I have to have internet; BYOWIFI is the only way to insure I can do my work. It is usually better during the day when the park is empty or campers are out sightseeing because the park's bandwidth is so small that several users can overwhelm it; in the evenings everyone is checking Facebook, email, (attempting) streaming movies , and such. I just expect to use my iPhone as a hotspot and if the park happens to have decent WiFi, I will connect to that. Of course the park's WiFi is public so all of the warnings about sensitive information apply.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
2012 Solera

We carry cellular for Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile. With those three plus campground WiFi when available, I would estimate we can connect to the Internet at maybe 80% of our campsites. We do often stay at National Parks, State Parks, Provincial Parks (in Canada), BLM campgrounds, etc.
If you absolutely need Internet connectivity, you may have to restrict where you camp.
Not sure if satellite can guarantee connectivity everywhere - I know nothing about it.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #5

~45 campgrounds in the last 9 months, 3 had reliable WiFi. I need very good bandwidth for my job, min 3mb down and 1mb up. I use a Verizon MiFi unit with external antenna and camp where it works. The last place that had good camp wifi used Satelite, it was good for personal stuff but my companies VPN software doesn't work over satellite so it was useless for my work.
Another vote for Wireless Hot Spot or a MiFi unit.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote