Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #1

Window Blown Out

We just got back from a wonderful trip the the Yukon and on the way back as we pulled in to Ft Nelson BC we noticed that one of our LCI frameless windows on the slide had blown out! We were very surprised and it was just the one. Luckily it was not raining out and I was able to cover it for the trip back. We could find no redone to the blowout. I am currently taking to the dealer and factory about replacement. This is a brand new unit bought in May and was coming back from its first long trip. (As per some good advise to do a couple smaller trips first to sort out any issues.) Has anyone else had issues with the frameless, bonded, windows? (Apparently are designed to be replaced and not repaired.)

2014 V-Lite 30WFKSS taking life as it comes and loving every minute of it.
polymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #2

Sorry to hear about your window. I have the same windows and I have had several trips under my belt so I don't believe that my windows will present a problem at this stage but I'd still want to know what the reason for the window falling off was, and how you were able to resolve it.

So please keep us updated.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
DDC

There was a post here a few weeks ago with the same problem, I think it was on a silver back.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #4

I tried to do a search for more information and to see if anyone else had this problem. I didn't seem to find any. But I was specially looking for flagstaff TTs.

I really do want to find out how it happened. We could not see any visible signs on the frame. Now to be clear, the window did not fall out, it actually disintegrated in to millions of pieces. The dealer says that the whole entire frame including the upper window needs to be replaced as a package. Window cost is about $200, but the fright to get it here is about $180, and takes about 7 to 14 days.

At this stage I am waiting for Mark from Flagstaff Warrantee Department to return my call. He did not call back on Friday so I will assume he will call on Monday. I will update as I get more information.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
WFD

The previous post in regards to this made mention of a stone hitting it in travel, and someone else made mention of pressure buildup inside the trailer on a very hot day, and perhaps when passing by another vehicle on the highway it could have shattered??? That seems far fetched to me, but perhaps...if so that would make a point for leaving a vent open and having a Maxxair vent cover.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #6

Fracturing in a million pieces is what safety glass does. Safety glass is very tough to break from an impact to the face but very easy to break when the impact is to the edge. 90% that it was due to a stone flung off the road either by your TV or another vehicle and that may not be covered under the warranty unless someone is feeling very generous that day.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:04 AM   #7

Although the cause has not been determined and the unit needs to be fixed we had the local glass shop fix it for us. I must say that regardless of wether or not Flagstaff was willing to help out, I am am disappointed that they did not call back. It's a simple thing really. But to me it shows the character of the company.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by polymark View Post
Although the cause has not been determined and the unit needs to be fixed we had the local glass shop fix it for us.
Did they get the same glass window? How did they do and how much did it cost? This is good information to know.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #9

To have it repaired in Grande Prairie Alberta is cost me $300. The glass is the same. But the fit is not perfect. But it will work for now. I think I will order up an new window when I can get a better freight rate from LCI. But for now I will leave it.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #10

Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:57 AM   #11

I researched this a little and most people that had trouble, it was with leaking, and water seepage!
cecelea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:08 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

So this ALMOST happened to me coming home from New York.

A VERY nice motorist flagged me down and, while slowing to pull over, I immediately scanned my mirrors to see what was wrong, I saw my "Emergency Exit" bedroom window was open and flying next to the camper!

I had to crane my neck to see it as it was above my line of sight (in the 5th wheel).

I must have bumped the red handle getting up (REAL tight on my side) and failed to check it for security as I normally do.

Vibrations eventually straightened the lever and air pressure did the rest.

There is some damage to the hinge (pop rivets loose), but I should be able to get it repaired before Goshen. If not, it will be pinned and added to the very short list of items to be looked at by the Flagstaff people at the rally.

I owe a LOT to those passing motorists and hope one day to return the favor. I do have a CB, but it was off. The noise (and language) was bothering the DW. I had it squelched pretty tight, but it is what it is...

Thinking about finding a push pin that I can paint RED or something and pin the emergency exit closed to prevent this from happening again.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote