Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2014, 11:57 PM   #1
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Winter camping

We have left the northern states and traveled south to Dallas Texas for our winter camp. However the managers Kim and Jim (very nice couple) informed us that we needed to wrap our water supply hose with heat tape and insulation. We normally go to Pheonix Arizona to visit family but found this RV park that looks (and is) very nice. But did we go far enough south? We really like this place and for the cost, want to stay. What other steps should we take to ensure a good stay for the winter? Kim and Jim say the temps could drop into the mid to high 20s during mid Jan. We have heated tanks but what about dump and flushing black tanks?
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #2

Not sure what you are intending to do by way of prepping for winter camping but I can almost assure you that could be freezing in Dallas area based on its elevation and latitude, relative to where I did winter camping - Eisenhower State Park in Texas, 1 hour north.

Woke up a couple of mornings last winter at just about freezing, and one night the water was almost frozen solid in the hose. The next night I disconnected the hose and saw an icicle on the hose hanging over the spigot.

Last weekend I bought a 25' heated PIRIT hose which is on sale presently. I will devise a wrap for the spigot-to-hose area. The water pump area has a small heater that I can use - some people use a bulb. I have heated tanks and an enclosed underbelly.

If your dump valves are outside of the enclosed underbelly you could wrap it with a thick layer of padding to stop the wind chill.

What is the name of this Dallas Park you found?
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Were east of Dallas. Lone Star, TX. A very cute and great view of the lake place called Scenic View Motel, Marina, and RV Park. Very small but wow. Were into our 5th year full timing it, so ya we have been in 20 degrees before. Its probably a good thing for a bulb next to the water pump area as last year while using cermaic heaters at my sons house in Chicago our pump would not work (outside temp was about 25). Turned the thermostat up to 80 and prayed. Its ok the pump came through. We have the "4-season" pak so that will help. I do like the wrap of the dump valve. I currently use a garden hose on the galley and the grey/black is open to on the grey as a standard.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Were east of Dallas. Lone Star, TX. A very cute and great view of the lake place called Scenic View Motel, Marina, and RV Park. Very small but wow.
Scenic View Motel, Marina, and RV Park looks very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter