Old 08-26-2019, 04:29 PM   #1

Winterize

I am planning a trip in February to Florida panhandle my question is do I need to do anything special if the temperature drops below freezing at night for my unwinterized trailer. For example keeping the heat on at night.

Hanesstetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanesstetter View Post
I am planning a trip in February to Florida panhandle my question is do I need to do anything special if the temperature drops below freezing at night for my unwinterized trailer. For example keeping the heat on at night.
If it's not freezing during the day, chances are it won't freeze overnight if you keep the heater on. Takes a fairly long period of sub freezing temps to freeze a trailer like round the clock temps in the 20's.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:45 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Since you are located in western NY state and probably in the lake effect zone, I don't think it is wise to leave your trailer unwinterized into February unless you can store it in a heated building. It doesn't take much to winterize a trailer. 2 gallons of rv antifreeze and 30 minutes at the most. It takes less time to dewinterize. Don't forget to disconnect the battery or keep a battery tender on it.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:20 PM   #4

I am going to winterize it for the Winter. My plan is to winterize it in October then drive it to Atlanta and store it there until February. The drive back in February and go to the Florida panhandle till the end of March. The question is there a problem with freezing then
Old 08-27-2019, 07:57 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I am going to winterize it for the Winter. My plan is to winterize it in October then drive it to Atlanta and store it there until February. The drive back in February and go to the Florida panhandle till the end of March. The question is there a problem with freezing then
Again, if you are going to be in an area where temps 'occasionally' dip below 32º then you should not have a problem. As mentioned a few hours or even just overnight temps at freezing doesn't immediately freeze things to the point of harm. It takes many hours for the mass (your R/V) to get cold enough to start to freeze solid, especially if you are living in it.

If your model has tank heaters and a heated basement then you can run the furnace to supply some warmth to that area and the tank heaters will keep the tanks from freezing.

The things you need to be most concerned about first are the outside hose/hydrant and the outside shower. (if equipped)

Add some water to your fresh tank and unhook/drain the outside hose.
The outside shower door offers NO protection against the cold.

But again, I'd have no worries about either unless the weather gets below freezing for more than just overnight,
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=42
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:00 AM   #6

Thanks for the info its was very helpful

Tags
winter, winterize