Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2018, 07:24 AM   #41

thecastle…...internet casandras? You remind me of someone who whistles past graveyards. If you would take the time to actually research Castle Rock tires you'd see the same thing I did. It isn't pretty.

BTW, not all RV trailers have leaf springs with equalizers. My Flagstaff has the Torflex axles under it, a form of independent suspension.
dieseldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:44 AM   #42

Also....my opinion. For those that think if the Castle Rocks are so bad that FR would 'see the light' and stop using them....think again. My Flagstaff is my second new FR product. My first was a 2006 Wildcat, and it came sporting Carlisle tires. They had the same reputation from all the 'internet casandras' as the Castle Rocks do now.
While I feel FR offers a fairly good bang for the buck overall, for some reason they seem to 'cheese' out when it comes to tires. Warren Buffet should be ashamed.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldodge View Post
thecastle…...internet casandras? You remind me of someone who whistles past graveyards. If you would take the time to actually research Castle Rock tires you'd see the same thing I did. It isn't pretty.

BTW, not all RV trailers have leaf springs with equalizers. My Flagstaff has the Torflex axles under it, a form of independent suspension.
I've seen the threads on Castle Rock tires, and I've seen the sky is falling reports of doom and gloom on these forums. There are echo chambers on all internet forums, whether it be BMW's all being unreliable, to political views. Forum "research" is simply a data point of a few self selecting individuals, who decided to take the time to join a specific forum and complain. And in their case they gave their opinions that these are bad tires, and maybe those were, or they abused the trailer in some way. I see just as many folks here complain about broken items (general not tires in specific) that are clearly self induced. In spite of that there are likely 10 of thousands of owners who have never complained, or never had an issue with the tires. I'm not sure a few self selecting flagstaff forum members are a representative sample of castle rock tire owners.

A counter point, my company works with a trailer manufacturer in Bellville Tx (custom cargo trailers), since they've switched to Castle Rock tires on their trailers, they've not had a single blow out. The company warranties their trailers including tires for 2 years, so this was a big deal to them. They also for what its worth nitrogen fill all of their lions head (castle rock tires).

E-trailers reviews are pretty good for those tires as well. https://www.etrailer.com/search/castle%20rock

I do not whistle past grave yards, or have superstitions in any particular way. I just haven't had a bad experience or know anyone personally who has had a bad experience with castle rock tires.

P.S. all tires suffer blow outs from all manufacturers. Remember Firestone on ford exploders? That was way over played in the fake news, it didn't affect more than a few dozen vehicles, with bad drivers who made bad decisions and panic maneuvered during a blow out causing a roll over.
thecastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:18 PM   #44

We've checked our TT weight by going to a metal recycle place. Worked out slick.
2witzmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:39 PM   #45

Something no one else mentioned, find the DOT date stamp on the tire sidewall, if the tire is 9 years or older you need to replace them.

It's a safety thing, tires that are 9 years old or older are more heavily prone to having blow outs, tread separation, and all other kinds of tire failures.

This applies to cars, trucks, boat trailers, all other kinds of trailers, motorhomes, semi trucks & their trailers as well.
Lighting546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecastle View Post
Also will mention. The castle rocks are fine, if you treat them right. I towed from Houston to Rocky Mountain national park without any tire issues.

The reason tires blow out is people underinflate them for the load, overload them and drive at too high of a speed. Also scrubbing them when turning hard is hard on the tires, and hitting rocks etc when backing them in. See a lot of people not towing level too which overloads the front axle on the trailer leading to blowouts. Can’t tell you how many times I see people not towing level or running clearly under inflated tires. I point it out to folks when at gas stations when I see them. Also watch for sun rot. This applies to any trailer tire, and your tow vehicle. See folks all the time with under inflated tow vehicle tires....

I’ve had my trailer maxed out at 5300lbs, with the tires inflated to 50psi and running at 70mph in 105 weather in the pan handle. I’ve driven the trailer for thousands of miles and the tires have been fine. But I tow level, check the pressure, have a special pump for inflating them, and don’t exceed 80mph in hot weather for long periods of time. My tow vehcile rear axle tires are rated at 2300lbs each at 50psi, and I keep them at 44psi with about 2000lbs on them.

People who are blowing out the tires are probably underinflating for the load, driving too fast for the speed rating, or unlucky with obstacles.
Your comment intrigued me - “My tow vehcile rear axle tires are rated at 2300lbs each at 50psi, and I keep them at 44psi with about 2000lbs on them.“. Have you seen an appropriate “chart” that one should review when inflating their tires, dependent on loads? I simply inflate to the level marked in the tire or as advised on the tire inflation sticker. I am not even sure where I would find my weight rating vs inflation psi. Your insight would be greatly appreciated!!

BTW - have a Rockwood Signature 8327SS Travel Trailer.
okypinoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:27 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8t six View Post
ive never heard of cat scales not allowing people to weigh their vehicles. i mean, you are paying for the service.

you could even go to a scrap yard and they can weigh your truck.
I have been to scrap yards. I'd never take my travel trailer anywhere near one. You worry about tire issues, the amount of metal shavings on the ground around a scrap yard will almost guarantee tire issues in the near future.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:52 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecastle View Post
Also will mention. The castle rocks are fine, if you treat them right. I towed from Houston to Rocky Mountain national park without any tire issues.

The reason tires blow out is people underinflate them for the load, overload them and drive at too high of a speed. Also scrubbing them when turning hard is hard on the tires, and hitting rocks etc when backing them in. See a lot of people not towing level too which overloads the front axle on the trailer leading to blowouts. Can’t tell you how many times I see people not towing level or running clearly under inflated tires. I point it out to folks when at gas stations when I see them. Also watch for sun rot. This applies to any trailer tire, and your tow vehicle. See folks all the time with under inflated tow vehicle tires....

I’ve had my trailer maxed out at 5300lbs, with the tires inflated to 50psi and running at 70mph in 105 weather in the pan handle. I’ve driven the trailer for thousands of miles and the tires have been fine. But I tow level, check the pressure, have a special pump for inflating them, and don’t exceed 80mph in hot weather for long periods of time. My tow vehcile rear axel tires are rated at 2300lbs each at 50psi, and I keep them at 44psi with about 2000lbs on them.

People who are blowing out the tires are probably underinflating for the load, driving too fast for the speed rating, or unlucky with obstacles.
You nailed it! We just got back from a trip and on the way, I had people flying past me with huge trailers, 5th wheels and boats like they were in the Indy 500 race. I keep it at 62 to 65 MPH. When we stop at a rest area I touch each tire with the back of my hand, if you have a hot tire you know you are going to have a problem. Keep the speeds down, the tires inflated to the proper psi and you will be fine. I have castle rock tires and my unit is going on it's 3rd year. No wear problems, no problems what so ever. I think the real tire problems are people not tires.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:55 AM   #49

Tire problems due to loose nut on the steering wheel

I have to echo the sentiment that many of the tire problems are due to the owner not keeping them inflated or keeping them too long or driving too fast or not caring for them in the off season.

I keep it at 65 and I've been passed by everything from 5th wheels down to little pop-ups doing 75 or better. As noted by e-trailer, our tires have a speed rating of 65 unless otherwise noted.

I did change out to G range tires on my 319 Crusader since I felt E's were cutting it a bit close. That said, on my previous 5'er, the OEM tires were fine.

Keep in mind that a road hazard can take out a tire catastrophically as well, and you might have no idea as to the cause.
Eidolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:26 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
I have to echo the sentiment that many of the tire problems are due to the owner not keeping them inflated or keeping them too long or driving too fast or not caring for them in the off season.

I keep it at 65 and I've been passed by everything from 5th wheels down to little pop-ups doing 75 or better. As noted by e-trailer, our tires have a speed rating of 65 unless otherwise noted.

I did change out to G range tires on my 319 Crusader since I felt E's were cutting it a bit close. That said, on my previous 5'er, the OEM tires were fine.

Keep in mind that a road hazard can take out a tire catastrophically as well, and you might have no idea as to the cause.
Spoken like someone who has never had trailer tire fail through no fault of their own. It's easy to blame it on abuse by the user, until you have a perfectly maintained tire fail within months. Amazing how your tune will change!!!

It's always easier to think everyone else is just ignorant......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:47 PM   #51

In point of fact, I actually have had a near new tire fail after 500 miles. Of course, the other 4 which had been on the ground for 5 years with 1000's of miles were just fine.

I also recognize that all the care in the world cannot make up for a sidewall bruise or cut when backing or even some piece of metal, unseen, on the road.

I also said many, not all. You DID read that, amirite?
Eidolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:13 PM   #52

For the hey of it I just took a peek back in time to see just how over blown the 'fake news' was on those Firestone tires a couple decades ago. The article I found was more or less a summary and it estimated that 250 deaths and over 3000 catastrophic accidents were caused by the tires failing. Small potatoes I'd say....yes?
Just doesn't seem to be any appropriate scales in this part of the world for me to weigh the Flagstaff as I'd like. If/when I find one I will post the results.
Meanwhile I picked up a set of Goodyear Endurances. I feel a lot better about things now....don't you? Now all I got to do is find a new home for these Castle Rocks.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:43 PM   #53

Dieseldodge

Put mine in the dump brand new. Went to goodyear endurance. Same when i bought a new TT 2 years ago.
Jim & peg. Jake the camper dog. RIP my friend. 01-11-2010 / 02-26-2020. 2018 flagstaff 8528ikws fifth wheel pushing 2014 f-150 eco-boost super crew. 2017 camped 14 weeks. 2018 4 months in texas. 2019 4 months in texas. 2019 21 days in michigan. 2019 2 months in arizona. 2020 4 months in arizona. U.S. Air Force Retired. 100% DAV
wanderer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:41 AM   #54

No, no....it's too soon for the dumpster. There are those out there that feel that Castle Rock tires are just fine. I'm going to try my luck this weekend in the neighborhood garage sale. If the doesn't work, maybe Craigslist. Surely there is someone out there foolish enough to buy them. I did.... (when I bought my Flagstaff).
Old 10-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
It would be great for us, but not so great for the dealers who tell customers they can pull that 40’ toy hauler with their Smart Car. RV sales would decrease by 75% if educated (in towing) buyers had access to a scale at the dealer.

Bruce
True, however it would behove the “big 3” automakers to provide scales to the rv dealers... just so you know your next stop is to buy the truck you should have had in the first place
Bdlnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:12 PM   #56

So after following this thread for the last week I went out and looked at the ST tires that came on my 5th wheel. They were Trailer King brand (China), probably made next door to where the Castle Rock tires are made. They did get me to Alaska and back in 2016 and several trips around Az and Nm. Replaced these this last spring with load range E Hercules (China) tires that did real well for 6500 miles of traveling since last May.

On the subject of truck scales. I do quite a bit of part time trucking around here and there is only one flat in ground scale where you might be able to get a side to side weight. All the rest are newer style with guide rails on each side that we call rookie rails that help keep all the axles on an 18 wheeler on the scale deck. One scale ramps up about three feet with no curb or rail and you better be careful getting in and out of your truck if you need to go in the scale house. Our local Cotton gin does have their scale on all the time with a digital readout that you can see.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff