Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #1

Zeroing In on the 26RSWS

For the past several months we have been intensively shopping for our first travel trailer. Who knew there were so many brands and options...

This afternoon I think we hit pay dirt. We found a Flagstaff 26RSWS that we really like. We are leaning toward the 2019 model with the larger microwave. More because it is mounted lower that the fact that it is bigger. I am 5' 6" and the height of the microwave in the 2018 version is the only real problem I saw.

I will be pulling with a 2017 Ford F-150 XLT, EcoBoost w/10 speed trans. Heavy duty tow package, 4WD and 3.55 rear axle.

Looking for any pros and cons about the trailer and interested in what brand/model weight distribution hitch is best.

Thanks is advance
GrayghostUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:56 AM   #2

The Flagstaff ultra lites are beautiful campers. We took a factory tour and watched them being built. Impressive.
Only downside to me is tongue weight. Published dry tongue is 908 lbs. Add at least 200 to that loaded for camping.
Check your payload sticker on the truck door. Hopefully you have enough.
I didn't and had to cross them off my list.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:39 AM   #3

We have the 26RBWS - love the trailer. While it hasn't been problem free (few are) the build quality is far superior to our previous Heartland North Trail and the dealer service has been great. These models do have heavy tongue weights, but with a Blue Ox WDH and Timbrens, our Ram 1500 has no problems what so ever towing this trailer.

Bottom line, we'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Good luck on your search!
Blue Ox SwayPro
True North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You'll get a lot of different recommendations about which WDH is 'best', but generally most agree that you want to look at ones with built in sway control:
  • Equalizer (make sure it's the 4 point)
  • Blue Ox
  • Andersen
  • Hensley ProPride
Old 04-06-2018, 07:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
You'll get a lot of different recommendations about which WDH is 'best', but generally most agree that you want to look at ones with built in sway control:
  • Equalizer (make sure it's the 4 point)
  • Blue Ox
  • Andersen
  • Hensley ProPride
We opted for the four point Equalizer. A lesser hitch was included in the non negotiable part of the price and the Equalizer was only a $250 upgrade. Figured I would never get it cheaper.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
The Flagstaff ultra lites are beautiful campers. We took a factory tour and watched them being built. Impressive.
Only downside to me is tongue weight. Published dry tongue is 908 lbs. Add at least 200 to that loaded for camping.
Check your payload sticker on the truck door. Hopefully you have enough.
I didn't and had to cross them off my list.
This was a concern for me. This trailer has a published dry hitch weight of 864 pounds. Like you said, loaded is more. I went to a local Cat Scale to get the truck weighed. The rear axle came in at 2320 lbs. The truck rear axle GAWR is 3800 lbs. So even without a equalizer hitch, just dropping the hitch weight on the truck still leaves over 568 lbs. before things start breaking. Since the equalizers usually reload the front axle to close to original weight and the major transfer of weight is to the axles of the trailer I think I will be okay.

I read somewhere that a good equalizer will transfer 20 to 30 percent. Don't know if that is true but if it gets the trucks rear axle loading down to under 700 lbs. I will be a happy camper.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #7

We bought it

We bit the bullet yesterday and put the down payment on the 2019 Flagstaff Super Light 26RBWS. Should be ready for pick up late next week. Since I am teaching the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course for the Atlanta Area Council of the Boy Scouts next weekend we will probably have to wait until the following week to pick it up.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:46 PM   #8

congratulations, too bad you couldn't get it earlier and break it in on your trip to the Boy Scout training that you will be doing; but they say that all good things come to those who wait.
card16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by card16 View Post
congratulations, too bad you couldn't get it earlier and break it in on your trip to the Boy Scout training that you will be doing; but they say that all good things come to those who wait.
I agree. Fortunately two weeks after that I have both the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor Course and the NRA Basic Rifle Shooting Instructor Course at Woodruff Scout Reservation. That will be the first time out.