Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2008, 12:43 AM   #1

08' 8313SS Underbelly Coming down

I noticed when draining my galley tank last week that the underbelly is coming down on one side. It appears the belly (is held up along the side with a long block of wood that is screwed to the bottom of the trailer. These screw are put in before the aluminum rails. Two of screws have broken and the underbelly is now hanging.

Not sure how I should fix this. Anyone else have this happen?

I have already replaced the GFI outlets and the heated tank relay on my own. I'd rather fix the small stuff on my own then wait two to three weeks to get in to see a local repair shop. I bought the trailer from a dealer over 2000 km away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9663.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	900   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9664.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	901  
sirrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:57 AM   #2

Mines held up by self tapping bolts right into the frame rails and cross supports you clamp it back in place and put a couple self tappers in it to hold it up, just check to be sure no wires are in the way and I usually drill and pilot hole cause there are times when then self tappers will twist off when they come to a dead stop.
cma659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #3

Looks like the self tapping screws holding the wood strip has failed. Un-screw the aluminum molding and drop the underbelly material, buy a few self tapping screws and re-install the wood strip to the "I-Beam" frame. Then, re-assemble the underbelly material and aluminum molding. That should take care of things.

Or, bring it to a dealer and let them take care of things. Yeah, right.........
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #4

I did as you said and took the metal flashing down (2 pieces) and used some #8 1.5" self tapping screws (4 in place of the 2 that were there). Drilled a small pilot hole for each one first. I towed it about 100km (24km of which were down gravel wash-board road) last week and it held up fine.

Took about 15 mintues total.

Thanks for the tips!
sirrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #5

One other thing to check, make sure your discharge pipe is tight. Mine was loose and was putting pressure on the underbelly. The pipe was not secured properly from the factory. The dealer installed a piece of steel strap from one side of the pipe to the other to help support the discharge pipe.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #6

I had the same issue on my 2007 8313SS, and used #10 X 2" self tapping screws to secure the underbelly wood side rails. First drilled pilot holes because the self tappers tend to break off. Added a few extras screws for good measure while I was under the trailer with the screw gun...:>
londonhous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8313ss, rockwood, underbelly