Old 12-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
Incanis Confiderus
Send a message via Yahoo to dogman
09 Signature 8296SS

I think I am about to buy a 8296SS from RV Wholesalers. Does anyone have anything they would like to share with me before I spend the money that I have been saving since I have been in Iraq. If ya'll cant tell Im a little spooked at buying one over the internet. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
The 8296SS is a good choice. There is not a whole lot of difference between it and the 8315SS which we have. We really enjoy our 8315SS.

I wouldn't be too concerned about buying from an internet dealer. We bought from a dealer 100 miles from home who was willing to slightly beat RV Wholesalers price.

My only advice would be, if you order the unit, order it with a conventional awning, which is available per Colin DeChant, the Rockwood national sales manager.

Good luck with your purchase and enjoy!

John U

2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2014 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
Just picked up a Rockwood Windjammer 3001W from RVW a few weeks ago. Purchase was smooth,except for my credit union taking there time.

Have you looked at the 8315BSS? I'm a big fan of the second slide in the bedroom. the 8296SS is a little tight around the bed?

I kind of regret not getting the 8315BSS over the 3001W. Seems to have more floor and counter space.

Also seems the Signatures are more "finished" than the Windjammers.

Also on interior colors. I'm not real happy with the saddle color I picked because of the the fake leather on the two chairs. I would of rather of had cloth. my mistake for not choosing the sage, or cappacino.

Can't go wrong with any of them through RVW with all the money you will save. Local dealer has an 8315BSS for over $33K.
DCRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist
I bought mine from RVwhosalers and my sales guy was Dave Prosser. You might ask for Dave and tell him he was recommended by Wade and Kathy Massengill who took delivery back in July.

You might also see about getting "something for free" from the finance guys. I got a free 2nd battery because I used their financing after talking down their terms by half a point. I used my bank and credit union as comparison. All things are negotiable! (sp?) Play your cards right, be real coy about financing with them and watch what all they'll do!

But buying from them is like riding down an assembly line, the service is not all that personal, you get handed off from one department to the next as delivery approached and finally arrives. They expect you to be ON TIME as they deliver more than 40 trailers a week and they do it all on three days. But this is how they drive the cost our of the operation.

Their warranty support via phone is quite good, having used it 3 times now.
Admin at, part of the Social Knowledge network.
"RVing and Amateur Radio served up on the same plate"
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
I would have to echo what John U said, get the conventional awning, if you can.

We have an 8296SS and absolutely love it.
Dave and Robin
2001 Chev Silverado 3500 DRW 8.1L
2008 Rockwood 8296SS
Equal-i-zer WDH
davenrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
Same here we love ours only trouble we have had was with the tire s and they replaced all of them and we had to replace the concertone twice all cover under warranty but we do like it real well Giood luck on whatever you choose you can expect some minor problem with any unit you buy but most can be righted with little trouble Enjoy and dont sweat the small stuff
2008 8296SS Rockwood Signature Ultralite
2002 Silverado 2500HD extended cab
chevy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
We bought the 829600 in Feb. of this this and love it. I agree with the second slide for the bedroom. It is tight around the bed and we wish we would have opted for the slide. But as far as the conventional awning, we enjoy the electric awning. We made a T out of pvc pipe and use it once in a while if raining. It is a convenience we are really glad we got. We will take it back under warranty this spring to check the double slide which seems to be having a problem fitting tight when closed. Not a big deal. The kitchen and bathroom are great. We have the air mattress and just have to be very careful not getting mice in the trailer. The first time we pulled it out to inflate we noticed there was a small hole that we patched from the kit you get that was caused by a mouse. Can't tell you the problems with mice.... But we have used the air mattress alot having guests and easy set up and they say comfortable. Whether internet buy or dealer buy, just be specific of what you want and do a good walk through. You will enjoy it.
Connie and Dan
lierz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #8
Cyber Phrenologist
If you have kids I would highly recommend the minimal carpet option.

Shoot...our kids are grown and we got minimal carpet! Make the trailer easy to clean and will look new longer, the flooring is Armstrong and is way better quality than the carpet, will last years longer, IMHO.

The wife and I are tall people so we also got the table and chair option so our knees will not touch while we are trying to eat!

Admin at, part of the Social Knowledge network.
"RVing and Amateur Radio served up on the same plate"
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote