Old 09-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #1

12SRK or a Teardrop

Hi,

I want to buy a small trailer, and have looked at dozens of manufacture. Now I'm lean to buy a Geo Pod 12SRK.

It is basically a larger tear drop with everything except toilet built in, and at a lower price point. It even has off road tire and suspension.

What is the advantage of teardrop over a travel trailer like this?

I appreciate your input.

Thank you!

yufanyufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #2

Which kind of teardrop are you looking at? Some are similar to the geopro like the Tabs and then others are just a bed with a kitchen in the back (i.e. like the Tag teardrop).

Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #3

My shortlist of teardrop are T@g and Hiker Trailer.
Hiker trailer does not has propane, so it is more comparable to 12RK.

From what I see, most Teardrop has a aluminum skin over wood board construction. But Geo Pro has a fiberglass/azdel over aluminum frame, with foam insulation. Which one is more durable?

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Which kind of teardrop are you looking at? Some are similar to the geopro like the Tabs and then others are just a bed with a kitchen in the back (i.e. like the Tag teardrop).
yufanyufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yufanyufan View Post
My shortlist of teardrop are T@g and Hiker Trailer.
Hiker trailer does not has propane, so it is more comparable to 12RK.

From what I see, most Teardrop has a aluminum skin over wood board construction. But Geo Pro has a fiberglass/azdel over aluminum frame, with foam insulation. Which one is more durable?

Thank you!
They both have pros/cons. Fiber can fade, delaminate, crack. Alum can dent, fade. Over all...with a little maint on the exterior, or old 2007 Jayco with the Fiber exterior held up really well. Our 2018 Cherokee...Alum...is holding up well, but I do have about a half dozen small hail dents from a couple storms.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #5

the hiker looks cool, I like the raised bed option and the back kitchen cabinets remind me the cook box we used in scouts.

These two types you mention are a bit different, the tab and hiker type of tear drop is a bed on wheels with a kitchen in the back and the geopro is more like a living room on wheels with the kitchen in the back. So what suits you will come down to how you like to camp and you are the only one who can answer that.

For me, my biggest issue would be headspace. As I need to stand to dress, for the tab type I would need to set up a changing tent whereas the geopro, I could stand inside it. Also consider if would you be able to be comfortable in them on a rainy day if needed. The geopro, you can at least stand up in and move a bit and you have a couch to sit in. The tab or hiker, you will be sitting outside under a tarp or inside laying in bed.

I also need air conditioning - one of the reasons we went to a camper from tenting was ac, at my age the heat was getting to us. So yeah, we are not going off roading or boondocking. Looks like some of the teardrops can have ac but not all. Looks like the geopro comes with ac. Whether or not you need ac is a consideration.

For all of these, you are cooking outside, the geopro appears to have a bigger door to stand under, if that is important to you.

The geopro is a bit heavier and taller so may take a bit more beefier tow vehicle than the tab or hiker.

Not at all sure how the storage compares between the two.

Sounds like you need to find a dealer for each of these and spend some time sitting in them to figure what type is best for you.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:28 PM   #6

I see a few late model R-Pod 171 models available used in the $12K range if you want a model with a bathroom.

https://www.rvtrader.com/Forest-Rive...im=171%7C16185

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #7

The teardrop design is a little more streamlined. Turns out that at around 55 mph, a teardrop is the ideal shape with the least wind resistance. For me, the biggest two advantages of a trailer over a tent are AC and bathroom. I'd look hard and long for one with a bathroom if it were me. But, if it really was just me, I'd sleep in a tent.