Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2018, 04:55 PM   #1

12v system

Getting ready for spring and I have a question that I can't find the answer for about the 12v cig plug in my 2017 Rockwood 2104s mini. Does anyone know if that plug is on a dedicated line? I want to use a small aprx 300 watt inverter when off grid camping to run a few things. Just want to be sure not to blow the fuse if it's on the same circuit as all the 12v lighting and fan.
rndsommer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:11 PM   #2

Don’t know about 2104. I use a 300 watt inverter plugged into the 12volt socket in our 2504s. BUT I don’t run anywhere near 300 watts through the inverter. The inverter that I use says that the maximum watts allowed to be used through the 12volt plug included with the inverter is 150 watts. The only thing that I run through the inverter is our 32 inch tv. If your inverter came with a 12 volt lighter plug read the instructions to see if you are also limited. Even if there is no limit on the inverter plug, there is a limit of what the socket and wiring will do. A good ROUGH and quick calculation of the amps required is to divide the watts by 10 to get the amps required with a small fudge factor. 150watts, figure about 15 amps at 12 volts to produce it. 300 watts takes 30 amps. If you plan on running anywhere near the 300 watts your inverter is rated for it needs to be hard wired to the camper. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:23 PM   #3

Jay is correct.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:09 PM   #4

I believe my 2104S was wired with the light circuit. Of course, that could change every six months. I wouldn't use it to run anything bigger than a cell phone charger with the size wiring that's in there. Hard wire it. As stated, you could use it, I just wouldn't put very much of a draw on it.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
I believe my 2104S was wired with the light circuit. Of course, that could change every six months. I wouldn't use it to run anything bigger than a cell phone charger with the size wiring that's in there. Hard wire it. As stated, you could use it, I just wouldn't put very much of a draw on it.
That's what I figured. Somewhere I read you can pick up a 12v line behind the microwave. I'm going to try to splice in a 12v cig plug up where the TV is mounted and use a 150 watt inverter to see if I can use the TV off grid. Thx
Old 02-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #6

Most likely. Mine was a 2014 model and my 12V plug was by the TV.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Most likely. Mine was a 2014 model and my 12V plug was by the TV.
Yea no more. My 2017 just has the 110v outlet behind the TV. I guess the majority of people don't camp without a full hook up these days. I would have swapped the TV out for a 12v unit. I haven't checked but I wonder if the antenna amplifier is 12v or 110v. Hope it works off the 12v system or its gonna be dvds only.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #8

I can’t get to my camper because it’s still in storage, I did check a tv here at home. On the back it says it uses 42 watts. The tv in our camper is probably going to be close to the same wattage. When I plug in the 300 watt inverter into the lighter plug and run the tv I can tell that the inverter is “ loafing” because the fan only comes on for a few seconds at a time. one thing to watch if someone is connecting to the 12 volt wires behind the microwave is to make sure that they are heavy enough. 14gauge would be very close to too small,depending on how far they are run. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
I can’t get to my camper because it’s still in storage, I did check a tv here at home. On the back it says it uses 42 watts. The tv in our camper is probably going to be close to the same wattage. When I plug in the 300 watt inverter into the lighter plug and run the tv I can tell that the inverter is “ loafing” because the fan only comes on for a few seconds at a time. one thing to watch if someone is connecting to the 12 volt wires behind the microwave is to make sure that they are heavy enough. 14gauge would be very close to too small,depending on how far they are run. Jay
If the wires are not of a heavy enough gauge I wouldn't bother to splice into them.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndsommer4 View Post
That's what I figured. Somewhere I read you can pick up a 12v line behind the microwave. I'm going to try to splice in a 12v cig plug up where the TV is mounted and use a 150 watt inverter to see if I can use the TV off grid. Thx

We replaced our 24" Furrion with a 12v Insignia and it works great when we are on or off the grid!

2017 Rockwood 2109s Mini Lite
Campah is offline   Reply With Quote