Old 07-28-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
Incanis Confiderus

Send a message via Yahoo to dogman
15K BTU AC Tripping Breaker

I have an 09 Rockwood 8314SS with a 15KBTU AC unit that is tripping the 20 amp breaker whether it is on auto or just on run. It has been doing it for about the last 2 weeks. It has just gotten warm enough up here to use the AC everyday. I know that it is under warranty but I am trying to avoid having to drive 2 hours to drop it off as it is also where I am living for the time being. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance....

Old 07-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

How long will it run before tripping the breaker? Inside Filter dirty?, Outdoor coil dirty? or it could be just a weak breaker. Do you have another in the panel to switch and check the breaker out.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Incanis Confiderus

It will last for about 2 hours while it is in the ON position. If I switch it to the AUTO position once it turns off due to reaching desired temp. when it comes back on it will trip the breaker. The inside filter is clean and I will check the outside coil when I get home. I think I have one other 20 amp breaker I can try to switch out. I will try one thing at a time and let you know.... Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You said 20 amp breaker, but in what panel? The panel in the camper, then you have a low voltage problem coming to the camper. The panel at the house, your camper won't run the AC on a 20 amp feed, that's whyy they have a 30 amp cord. If you are using a 30 amp to 15 amp, normal wall plug, adapter, and running any extension cord, you have a low voltage an amperage problem. You can only run the AC with a dedicated 30 amp service, and dedicated 30 amp power cords. Hope this helps.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
I have an 09 Rockwood 8314SS with a 15KBTU AC unit that is tripping the 20 amp breaker whether it is on auto or just on run. It has been doing it for about the last 2 weeks. It has just gotten warm enough up here to use the AC everyday. I know that it is under warranty but I am trying to avoid having to drive 2 hours to drop it off as it is also where I am living for the time being. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance....
Not knowing that you had a two hour drive to the dealer changes the picture. Checking the breaker is a good start. Before you remove the wires from the breaker make sure all of your connections are tight, not only at the breaker but in the unit itself. Remove the cover from the unit on the roof, inspect all wiring look for warn insulation on the wires. Loose wire connections will cause a higher amp draw which will cause the breaker to trip. If all is ok as far as tight wires and no exposed copper from any wires then proceed to the breaker change out. Does the resistance on the breaker fell weak when you turn it off then back on? you can check another breaker in the panel for comparison. It's not too often that a breaker go's bad.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
Incanis Confiderus

I am plugged into a 30 amp space at the camp ground. I was talking about the 20amp breaker in the TT. I checked the amperage in the trailer and with nothing running its at 114 with the AC, TV and electric water heater its about about 108-109. So, I am having them check the site power box today to make sure everything is ok. In the meantime, I am running on gas for my water heater and everything seems to be working ok.

I want to thank everyone for the quick replies and suggestions on how to fix this problem. I may still switch out the 20amp breaker in the TT just becuase it has been tripped so many times in the last 2 weeks. I will advise on what I found out with the site power issue. Again, a BIG THANKS to ALL!!

Andy
Old 07-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
Incanis Confiderus

well i checked the volts and amperage and its all good. what is possibality of it being one of the capicators?? better yet what do they look like so i can check them out.... HELP!!! this sucks...
Old 07-30-2009, 11:14 PM   #8

You said running your water heater on gas every thing seems to be ok. I want to thing maybe the 20 amp beaker is not large enough for the 15000 btu AC and water heater running at the same time.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
well i checked the volts and amperage and its all good. what is possibality of it being one of the capicators?? better yet what do they look like so i can check them out.... HELP!!! this sucks...
dogman, I posted a pic of the capacitor here on the Forum and I am trying to located it. It is on that I had to take out of a Dometic unit at work. There are two pic, one that is burnt up and the other was a good one. I would post it again for you but the pic is on my work computer. If I find it I will repost.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
dogman, I posted a pic of the capacitor here on the Forum and I am trying to located it. It is on that I had to take out of a Dometic unit at work. There are two pic, one that is burnt up and the other was a good one. I would post it again for you but the pic is on my work computer. If I find it I will repost.

dogman, I found It, It is under the thread "HERE'S ONE FOR YOU"...Post # 8 first page.

Tags
breaker, rockwood