Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Incanis Confiderus

Send a message via Yahoo to dogman
15K BTU AC Tripping Breaker

I have an 09 Rockwood 8314SS with a 15KBTU AC unit that is tripping the 20 amp breaker whether it is on auto or just on run. It has been doing it for about the last 2 weeks. It has just gotten warm enough up here to use the AC everyday. I know that it is under warranty but I am trying to avoid having to drive 2 hours to drop it off as it is also where I am living for the time being. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance....
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

How long will it run before tripping the breaker? Inside Filter dirty?, Outdoor coil dirty? or it could be just a weak breaker. Do you have another in the panel to switch and check the breaker out.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
Incanis Confiderus

It will last for about 2 hours while it is in the ON position. If I switch it to the AUTO position once it turns off due to reaching desired temp. when it comes back on it will trip the breaker. The inside filter is clean and I will check the outside coil when I get home. I think I have one other 20 amp breaker I can try to switch out. I will try one thing at a time and let you know.... Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You said 20 amp breaker, but in what panel? The panel in the camper, then you have a low voltage problem coming to the camper. The panel at the house, your camper won't run the AC on a 20 amp feed, that's whyy they have a 30 amp cord. If you are using a 30 amp to 15 amp, normal wall plug, adapter, and running any extension cord, you have a low voltage an amperage problem. You can only run the AC with a dedicated 30 amp service, and dedicated 30 amp power cords. Hope this helps.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
I have an 09 Rockwood 8314SS with a 15KBTU AC unit that is tripping the 20 amp breaker whether it is on auto or just on run. It has been doing it for about the last 2 weeks. It has just gotten warm enough up here to use the AC everyday. I know that it is under warranty but I am trying to avoid having to drive 2 hours to drop it off as it is also where I am living for the time being. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance....
Not knowing that you had a two hour drive to the dealer changes the picture. Checking the breaker is a good start. Before you remove the wires from the breaker make sure all of your connections are tight, not only at the breaker but in the unit itself. Remove the cover from the unit on the roof, inspect all wiring look for warn insulation on the wires. Loose wire connections will cause a higher amp draw which will cause the breaker to trip. If all is ok as far as tight wires and no exposed copper from any wires then proceed to the breaker change out. Does the resistance on the breaker fell weak when you turn it off then back on? you can check another breaker in the panel for comparison. It's not too often that a breaker go's bad.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
Incanis Confiderus

I am plugged into a 30 amp space at the camp ground. I was talking about the 20amp breaker in the TT. I checked the amperage in the trailer and with nothing running its at 114 with the AC, TV and electric water heater its about about 108-109. So, I am having them check the site power box today to make sure everything is ok. In the meantime, I am running on gas for my water heater and everything seems to be working ok.

I want to thank everyone for the quick replies and suggestions on how to fix this problem. I may still switch out the 20amp breaker in the TT just becuase it has been tripped so many times in the last 2 weeks. I will advise on what I found out with the site power issue. Again, a BIG THANKS to ALL!!

Andy
Old 07-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
Incanis Confiderus

well i checked the volts and amperage and its all good. what is possibality of it being one of the capicators?? better yet what do they look like so i can check them out.... HELP!!! this sucks...
Old 07-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #8

You said running your water heater on gas every thing seems to be ok. I want to thing maybe the 20 amp beaker is not large enough for the 15000 btu AC and water heater running at the same time.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
well i checked the volts and amperage and its all good. what is possibality of it being one of the capicators?? better yet what do they look like so i can check them out.... HELP!!! this sucks...
dogman, I posted a pic of the capacitor here on the Forum and I am trying to located it. It is on that I had to take out of a Dometic unit at work. There are two pic, one that is burnt up and the other was a good one. I would post it again for you but the pic is on my work computer. If I find it I will repost.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
dogman, I posted a pic of the capacitor here on the Forum and I am trying to located it. It is on that I had to take out of a Dometic unit at work. There are two pic, one that is burnt up and the other was a good one. I would post it again for you but the pic is on my work computer. If I find it I will repost.

dogman, I found It, It is under the thread "HERE'S ONE FOR YOU"...Post # 8 first page.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #11

30 amp breaker tripping

I have an 06 rockwood ultralite 8317ss. Lately the trailer's breaker keeps tripping if the AC is on and I try to use the microwave. This would not happen before. Any suggestions as to what I need to check or replace?
rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:16 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Which breaker in the trailer, AC, Microwave, or Main? Check voltage coming in to the trailer, at a wall plug, with AC on and compressor running. Probably going to find it is low. Due to hotter weather the compressor on the AC is running more, and you're probably running the Microwave with the compressor on. Just got lucky before and didn't hit this situation. If you're on an extension cord, make sure it is a good one. Hope this helps.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 08-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #13

The breaker which trips is the main breaker. I am connecting to a 50 amp with an adapter, when I connect to a 30 amp at the campground, the campground breaker trips instead of the trailers main one.
rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:04 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Still a little confusing, but read my first post, CHECK THE VOLTAGE!!! I see campground, and they may have a problem. AGAIN CHECK VOLTAGE!!!! Got to be very close to 120 volts. 110 volts won't work, or anything less. Why are you running an adapter? If your camper is 30 amp service, plug in to 30 amp service. Adapters are a problem waiting to happen, and a place to lose voltage. If you're plugged in to a 30 amp direct, no adapters, and trip the campground breaker, sounds like your camper is drawing too much current. That would be the compressor on the AC, probably. An electrician will have equipment to test current draw on your AC. For now just have to turn off AC to run the microwave. Might try borrowing a 30 amp extension cord and plugging in to the site next door for a test. Good Luck.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 08-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #15
Site Team

Let's do a little addition for fun.

1- 15k btu A/C = 15 amps
1- 1200W M/W = 10 amps
1- 45amp conv = 4.5 amps @ 120vac

Total = 29.5 amps; breaker = 30 amps.
Breaker is 4 years old (CG breaker is anybody's guess)!

Here's a few possibilities.
1) Breakers get weaker with time and heat.
2) Batteries get bad over time. (Maybe causing the converter to have to work harder.)
3) Loose connections cause higher current draw than normal.

It could be any of these or a combination of them.
Actually, using a 50 to 30 amp adapter is a good idea. Most 50amp receptacles are much less used and abused than their 30amp cousins.

The first thing I'd do is check the amp draw with everything running and make sure something is not pulling higher amps than it should. I'd also have the battery(s) checked to see if there's a partially shorted cell and I'd tighten all connections on both the AC and DC side of things. If all that checks out good, I'd replace the main breaker.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Let's do a little addition for fun.

1- 15k btu A/C = 15 amps
1- 1200W M/W = 10 amps
1- 45amp conv = 4.5 amps @ 120vac

Total = 29.5 amps; breaker = 30 amps.
If you add the fridge, and the water heater on electric, that would be well over a 30 amp draw.

Rockwood, you might want to try the A/C with the water heater and fridge on propane only to see what happens.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #17
JanLindbert

I had the same problem and found that when the AC and water heater both ran at the same time..wham...out went my main..so when I use the AC now, I simply use gas to heat my water and haven't had a problem since doing so...
JLindbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:59 AM   #18

I had similar problems as well, either the main breaker tripped in the camper or the breaker tripped at the box. I inspected the end of the plug where it is connected at the campground power supply and found that it was discolored from over heating due to a loose connection within the 30 amp receptacle. I notified the campground and they sent out Maintenance Personnel to check and replace they receptacle. I did notice that when I plugged my power cord into the receptacle it was not a firm fit, once the receptacle was replaced I could fell that it was much tighter and did not have any more issues at that site.....Just a thought.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:34 AM   #19
JanLindbert

Thumbs up Thanks

I've got a new 30 amp plug and circuit and they never trip. Mine trips inside the RV at the panel below the fridge. It works fine as long as I don't run electric water heater. Microwave tripped it out the other day when my wife and I were at the beach...I suppose I need to take it back to dealer and let them check the breaker out...may be a weak breaker.
JLindbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #20

first the trailer cord should be plugged into a 30 amp service outlet. next when running the ac avoid other large demand items such as electric hot water heater microwave or any other electric heating devices coffee pot toaster or frypan. you only have 30 amps to use and using any of these while using ac will cause a trip also during peak demands you may have a voltage drop in that area.
rockwood mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, rockwood