Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2017, 04:47 PM   #1

2,000 Mile Road trip to pick up New Trailer..

Will be unloading old trailer, and putting the important essentials in my truck..Going to Lakeview, Ohio witch is 2,000 miles away..Worried about staying at motels with stuff in back of my truck...Curious about what other people have done from getting ripped-off or not....Not sure about renting a u-haul or not...Probably 3 or 4 nights....Rest stops won't make it....already tired...Thanks Dave..
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
Site Team

The DW and I did the same trip, from Napa to Chicago, back in 2006 to get our new HTT.
We were able to drive in shifts and made it there in 2 days.
We took 3 days for the drive back.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:08 PM   #3

bikendan....good point on traveling right on through...That way no one is going to be looking in back of truck....Not sure if wife will go along with it? Was thinking of tarping the back so nobody can see in to if staying at Motel....Thanks for the suggestion..........Dave
Old 02-01-2017, 09:29 PM   #4

With a U-Haul you can lock the door. You would need to buy a padlock of your own, though.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:41 PM   #5

I guess it depends on the value of your "essentials". A U-Haul would probably cost $250-$350 to rent. So to protect your stuff that would be the cost of your "insurance" if you rented a trailer. You could cover it with a tarp and I guess you may want to protect some of your stuff anyway.

You must have way more essentials than i would need. Think about it, you are contemplating driving non-stop to get your new RV. What essentials do you need to do that? Not much.

On your way home you will have your motel, with kitchen, behind you. You need bedding, coffee pot, your personal items. You can always stop at a grocery store on your to stock up on items you need.

I think I could get all my essentials in the back seat of my TV... but that's just me.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:44 PM   #6

2,000 Mile Road trip to pick up New Trailer..

Invest in tonneau cover or cap for truck probably cost the same as a u haul then you have it for years. Plus keeps your stuff dry and out of sight. I took my whole camper stuff and packed back of truck when. I drove to Ohio to pick up my trailer. I had cap on back of truck.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:55 PM   #7
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
Invest in tonneau cover or cap for truck probably cost the same as a u haul then you have it for years. Plus keeps your stuff dry and out of sight. I took my whole camper stuff and packed back of truck when. I drove to Ohio to pick up my trailer. I had cap on back of truck.
Exactly what I did when I travelled from Canada to Michigan to pick up our 5th. I have a soft rollup tonneau cover. Sure it can be cut into if thieves really want to, but they can do that with anything, even a locked uhaul. With the tonneau cover it's out of sight out of mind. I just parked in a high visibility area, right up against the building if possible. The benefit of the tonneau cover, as dalford mentioned is that the rest of the time, whatever I have in the box of the truck stays dry and protected. And when towing it easily rolls up to the front without sacrificing any box space.
Also as dalford mentioned, you dont really need that much essentials... a toolbox...all the other camper stuff can be loaded up once you get back home with the new one.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:56 PM   #8

Will be camping on the way back home, if not to cold in mid-April....Mt. Rushmore, Custer state park, black hills..weather permitting..Heading down to Scottsdale, az in two wks for Spring Training baseball....4" of snow in my yard still, another storm on its way....Tonneau cover sounds like the way to go..Hopefully can get the "essentials" loaded in back of Truck...bbq, satellite dish, bicycles, water hose, etc...We will see.....Thanks for the tips......Dave.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:12 PM   #9
WFD

4"??? That's all? Lucky you! More like 4 ft here! Depending on weather, Black Hills in mid Apr will likely still find parks with water not yet turned on...depends on what weather is like this spring...came through there a few yrs back in mid Apr and we were able to plug in, but no water taps turned on in park yet...lots of shops and stuff closed then too.

Soon when I retire, I too hope to take in Spring training in AZ! Enjoy!
Old 02-01-2017, 11:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paverdave View Post
Will be camping on the way back home, if not to cold in mid-April....Mt. Rushmore, Custer state park, black hills..weather permitting..Heading down to Scottsdale, az in two wks for Spring Training baseball....4" of snow in my yard still, another storm on its way....Tonneau cover sounds like the way to go..Hopefully can get the "essentials" loaded in back of Truck...bbq, satellite dish, bicycles, water hose, etc...We will see.....Thanks for the tips......Dave.
Good for you! now I understand why your essentials issue. Bicycles may be your biggest issue. May have to take off the handle bars to close the tonneau cover. I assume your picking up a bumper pull? 5th wheel hitch eats a lot of space.

I got a little confused when you said April then going to AZ in 2 weeks. Old RV to AZ, right.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:22 AM   #11

We did the trip...about 900 miles one way...drove straight through. Wife just about left over that deal. Limited time off(her) and camped back home in 4 days. Would do that again. Lots of beautiful land between here and there. Drive safe. Avoid big city interstates(IMO) and enjoy the sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:48 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Put your stuff in storage containers and mark them, "pots and pans", "clothing", "misc kitchen utensils", "books", etc. people will think you're moving and not bother with thinking they are stealing a tire full of pans. Tape the lids down and put a bungee net over it. Park in well lit areas during your stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:03 AM   #13
Insert witty title here

Do a one way rental on a U-Haul trailer and just drop it off at a location near where you will be picking up the new TT.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:18 AM   #14

Borrow or buy a bike rack that fits in your receiver for the way there. You can lock the bikes to the rack and lock the rack to the truck. On the way home you can wrap the bikes in blankets and store them in the trailer. That should allow you to get the rest of the stuff under a cover in your bed.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:01 AM   #15
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Well I.m assuming you may be full time or you would not need to take all this stuff with you. If not leave it home and just take what ya need to get to and from. You'd be surprised what you really do not need. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #16

NOT to beat a dead horse here.
BUT you have been given lots of suggestions. MAY I offer one more that might even be better!
I have a soft tonneau cover on my truck and never had an issue with it, so far.
I drove from NC to OK twice this summer and dry camped twice. but i was still was hooked up.
TRY looking for an auto/truck accessory place for a used HARD SHELL COVER.
I know of a dealer here (Truckware's and Accessories) in town who has used covers for sale. someone has either upgraded to better or different cover and he took theirs in for trade or consignment. He has pretty good prices on these. Paint colors might not match for the time being but the security will be so much more. Even consider a camper style shell not just a flip u-p cover. most times you can find these pretty cheap. when I went from TT to 5er. I had a shell on my truck, hated to lose it but let it go for $200.00 and helped to install it on that person's truck. that would be a good price for a good hard shell cover.
Protection and security of everything in the back of your truck.
randy
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #17
Newly Retired

I have an old rug that I used in front of my travel trailer. I carry that in the back of the truck and when I park overnight unroll it and lay it over top of everything in the bed of the truck. Keeps it out of sight. So far so good.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #18

Dave, you may also want to stay the night at, or near, RVWs to double check everything is working correctly before heading off on your adventure !

Have a great time, and post some pics !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeljag View Post
Dave, you may also want to stay the night at, or near, RVWs to double check everything is working correctly before heading off on your adventure !

Have a great time, and post some pics !
Thanks...RVW suggested that I stay one night and make sure all is good..
Old 02-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #20

Talking

Thanks for all the replys, alot of good suggestions to pick from.....When I get back from spring training and unload the 5th wheel and see just what I have/need to take on the roadtrip......Might just fly the wife back to Ohio and be one less problem to deal with ....Thanks for the help....Dave

Tags
trailer