Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #1

2006 Rockwood 31 RL/structure?

Hi all. Going to look at a 2006 Rockwood 31 ft. rear Living design later today. It's got the fiberglass exterior. I need to know, does this travel trailer have an ALUMINUM CAGE structure, the walls, and roof, or is it wood? I need to know for 100% certain. It's important to me.

Also, what type insulation is between the walls? The roof? The floor? I was told it's got the POLAR PACKAGE, or whatever terminology Rockwood uses to describe the heated underbelly.

I don't know the exact model, as far as name, like, for instance, Keystone has the Mountaineer, all I know is that it's a ROCKWOOD (Unless that IS the model name? I guess you can tell, I'm new to this, but, I'm learning!

ANY other information about this particular travel trailer would be most appreciated! I will be full-timing in it, for the next several years. The original owners are the ones selling it, purchased it new in 2005, as a 2006 unit. Used it 3-4 times a year, from what I can tell, they seemed to have cared for it very well. I can tell, it's not easy for them to sell it, I spoke with the lady, and she had nothing but absolute praise for the trailer. I could tell it was genuine, not just to-sell-sales schtick.

So, please, any info, with the most important being about the aluminum superstructure. Thanks!
AGENT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #2

I'm sure the owner should be able to give you all the info. I just bought a 2003 2705. It has the fiberglass sides but as far as I can tell the structure is wood. I love it though it's solid as a rock. I wish I could be of more help. I've been very impressed with mine so far. I've had a heck of a time finding info on it. Good luck.
2003rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #3

Thanks, rocky! I actually purchased the trailer, it was in superb condition! The folks I purchased it from were the original owners & took excellent care of it. They were so nice, VERY helpful, eager to answer every question/concern, just GREAT folks.

It DOES have the aluminum superstructure! The model is 8314SS. I was REALLY impressed with the roof, compared to all the others I have looked at, this one was by far, the best! Not a single bit of flex or movement when I walked on it. The rubber roofing material is much, MUCH heavier than anything else I have looked at. Not a single bubble, wrinkle, nada!

Everything works perfectly, this thing is SOLID! WOW! Tires are only six months old. The awning material is pretty rough, but, no holes. It'll probably last a season, maybe two. It has the outdoor grill & shower, two entry doors, EXACTLY what I was looking for.

I had/have one concern, the refrigerator. They had just turned it on right before I got there. It has been off since last December. The freezer got cold in a hurry, but not the refidge part. It was starting to just get cold an hour later. there was no way to set the temp, it was all automatic. They told me it does work, it gets ice cold, but will take a while because it hasn't been used. I don't think they are the type of folks to lie, as they were so upfront & open about every little detail, even telling me things I hadn't asked about.

I don't get any bad vibes from them, but, I fear they may be wrong. I'm thinking the fridge is on the way out, and because they have used it so very little the past couple years, just didn't notice & now it's about kapowey!? I sure hope not, those things aren't cheap! Still, for the price I paid for it, even if I have to replace the fridge, i will still be way ahead of the curve.

I am THRILLED with it! It also came with all the towing attachments; anti-sway bars, weight distribution hitch (I do need to buy an electric brake controller, they sold it when they sold the tow vehicle) Also, all the sewer lines are included, and a bunch of other extra stuff...so, yeah, I'm excited & now I can't wait to get to full-timing!
Old 06-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #4
MI Camperz

Wow! Congrats on your new purchase! I can feel how excited you are. I'm excited for you.
I don't think an hour of running the fridge is long enough to judge. I'm no expert though. Try overnight. Does it make any unusual noises? Does the fan run constantly? Those were signs when an old camper of ours had a fridge on the way out. Also, camper has to be level for fridge to operate efficiently. Lastly, I am aware that a strong ammonia smell is improper. Keep us posted. Again, I am not very technical, just wanted to share the little I understand. Someone here will have more to offer I'm sure. Congrats!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #5

That's great I'm so happy for you. Your gonna love it. Mine was in very similar condition. As far as the fridge it doesn't get cold quick. Mine has to run at least overnight. My jayco was the same way so no worries for me. Good luck, I hope all goes well.
2003rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Wow! Congrats on your new purchase! I can feel how excited you are. I'm excited for you.
I don't think an hour of running the fridge is long enough to judge. I'm no expert though. Try overnight. Does it make any unusual noises? Does the fan run constantly? Those were signs when an old camper of ours had a fridge on the way out. Also, camper has to be level for fridge to operate efficiently. Lastly, I am aware that a strong ammonia smell is improper. Keep us posted. Again, I am not very technical, just wanted to share the little I understand. Someone here will have more to offer I'm sure. Congrats!!!
Turns out that all worked well with the fridge. the wonderful folks who sold me the trailer left it hooked up overnight & the next morning it was nice & cold

Thank you for your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003rocky View Post
That's great I'm so happy for you. Your gonna love it. Mine was in very similar condition. As far as the fridge it doesn't get cold quick. Mine has to run at least overnight. My jayco was the same way so no worries for me. Good luck, I hope all goes well.
So I discovered! It works perfectly! Thank you!

I pulled it back to Myrtle Beach, from Supply, NC. I won't be ready to start full-timing for another two weeks, give or take a few days. So, I found an EXCELLENT RV & boat storage business, about fifteen minutes from the house. Only $25.00 per month, no deposit/security, no contracts. Just pay for the time you're staying. Family owned & operated with three separate families living on the property, with an electronic gate...about the safest one around.

I'll be heading to the trailer to re-seal all the caulk/seams. They don't leak, but look like they can use a refresher, so I want to play it safe. Also, going to spread ant/bug poison around the tires & jacks pads. I don't want to have unwanted company if I can help it! Boy, I'll tell y'all...I am REALLY excited to get set up & beging my new lifestyle!

Thanks for the support!