Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #1

2006 Roo 23 RS

My family of 5 has found the "ideal" camper at a dearler in Iowa. We live in Montana. Before we make the journey to Iowa, would like to get some feedback on my tow vehicle combined with the Roo 23RS.

Tow Vehicle - 2007 Nissan Pathfinder - 6000lb tow capacity, 600 lb on the hitch.

Roo 23RS - according to the inside sticker on the camper. GVWR 4984lb, UVW 3979lb, cargo 707lb, 31 gallons of water, aprox 50lb propane.

Does this vehicle/camper combination work?
Thanks so much for your advice.
Courtney
cc898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #2

Hi there

We have a 2009 pathfinder which in theory can tow our Roo 21rs, I did all the math and it all checked out on the scales as being under but it was really hard on the pathfinder. I installed an additional tranny cooler and gauge and the bottom line is we were always watching the weight and to tow at 60 the pathfinder was practically flat out, even on flat terrain. Now we live in Calgary so loose about 10% on the horse power and have to go up so pretty big mountain passes but we were just not happy. Final straw came on a camping trip to the prairies when there was a bit too much wind, really found towing stressful, so we now tow with an f150 ecoboost needless to say night and day difference.

Still have the pathfinder as it is a great winter car and the wife loves it, but it is not our TV anymore. If you want I can supply all the theoretical weights verses the actual scale Weights.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #3

I would welcome the additional information. Thank you.

Courtney
cc898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Site Team

on your Nissan, that 6000lbs. number is based on only a 150lb. driver in it.
anyone or anything else's weight subtracts from that.
so, say Mom weighs 150 and Dad and the 3 kids total 550lbs. and the WDH weighs 100lbs. and cargo in it weighs 100lbs. total- 900lbs.

now, your tow capacity is down to 5100lbs.
the 23RS, which has a low CCC, will easily weigh its GVWR.
which leaves you only 116lbs. less than your tow max.

most recommend towing only 80% of your max.

so, can you do it? yes, but you won't be happy and you'll be towing at the Nissan's max the whole trip. and that's on flat land, not the mountains.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #5

Ok here are our weights for a 2010 21RS

Spec sheet dry weight 3659lb
Actual weight empty 4051lb

Trailer weight loaded for camping (family of 4, two small kids under 3) Axle weight 4136lb
Tongue weight 638lb
Total Weight = 4774lb

Now last set of weights with the Pathfinder with passengers and fuel on board plus camping gear and trailer with a Reese Dual cam setup
Front axle 2530lb (rated capacity 2820lb)
Rear Axle 3256lb (rated capacity 3501lb)

So the trailer + Pathfinder came to 10560 lb GCWR of our pathfinder is 11133lb so we were under by all accounts.

Now you are looking at a 2006 25RS - which will be at least 300lb heavier or more, plus longer than our unit.

My honest advise having done this is - that although in theory our setup worked and it did, it never felt good to me and we soon upgraded our TV.

If we said that the additional weight of your trailer cancels out the effect of altitude where we are (assuming that you are at sea level), you are not going to be happy with the experience. My honest advice is look for another trailer (very hard to find as we picked the 21RS on it weight to try to make it work), or bite the bullet and get another TV.

We love the rear slide arrangement, it suits our family very well with the bunks, plus we can get it into some of the smaller sites in the provincial parks which is great.

Best of luck - please let me know if you need / want any other info.