Old 11-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #1
2007 8314SS Electrics starting to worry me.

This year I dipped my toe into the wonderful world of RVing by buying a gently used 8314SS. It had been kept pretty much static for most of its life and is in remarkably good shape. It was on the owners property and when we checked it out, all systems seemed to be in good order.
My wife & I took it out to a local campground to give it a trial run. All seemed to go well until after dinner, whilst watching TV and with the a/c cranking hard, all power went out. The converter low power alarm went off and the red light was on. I went outside and noticed that the a/c run off was coming down the left side gutter and pouring directly onto the power cord. Additionally, I noticed that the heat-molded locking connector had started to pull away from the cable insulation. I figured it was time for a new cable.
I bought a new 30amp cable and yesterday, because of the cold snap we are experiencing right now, bought the trailer home. Using an adapter, I hooked up to a 20amp supply. It would trip the low power alarm when running the furnace and the lights. So, I went and installed a 30amp outlet in my garage and plugged directly into there. The furnace and blower cam on fine and the interior lights were fine.
I switched on a couple of exterior lights and exited the trailer. As I walked to the house, I noticed the lights were dimming erratically. Again the low power alarm was sounding. I have now turned off everything except the furnace.
I am starting to worry that I may have an inverter issue. All that is "on" right now is the furnace and the microwave clock. Why would the low power alarm go off with just the furnace and a couple of exterior lights? It's a brand new 30 amp circuit and a brand new 30amp cable.
Any thoughts or quick/cheap fixes anyone???

EnglishAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
I am no electrician...but it sounds like a bad breaker or connection in your trailer/coach. Bad connection=low voltage

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

totalled 04-11-16 by storm(picking up new one 10-26-16)
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
Sounds like a bad connection somewhere obviously but may be several places. You will have to go point by point from where the AC enters the camper. But maybe first check the battery. Bad or weak batteries can cause all sorts of trouble and make the convertor act up. What kind of shape is it in? With everything off is it getting proper charging voltage? Around 13.5 volts or more?
There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those that know binary, and those that don't.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:29 PM   #4

Thank you for your prompt and enlightening responses. Basically I took the path of least resistance (no pun intended) and changed the battery, along with some fresh crimped terminals, wire cut back to fresh copper and some heat-shrink.

Lights come on and stay on. No issues whatsoever now. I'm starting to feel more and more confident with this trailer.

Thank you again.
EnglishAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Now is the time to buy a surge protector such as a progressive industries 30 amp hardwired.

BTW your household outlets are normally only 15 amp.

Good luck with your new camper!

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote