Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #1

2008 Rockwood 2306 Water Heater

We took our used (brand new to us) 2008 Rockwood 2306 out this past weekend for the first time. It was a learning experienece, but we loved every minute of it. We figured most things out, but we could not get our water heater to work with the electricity provided from the campsite. It did work very well with propane, but the reset light remained on and it never would heat with electricity alone. Any ideas? Do we even have an electric option?
jenlynnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #2

On the outside access panel for the water heater, there's a small on/off rocker switch. It's hard to see if you don't know to look for it. It's probably in the off position.

Also, the switch inside is the igniter for the propane. It doesn't have to be on for electric only use, but it won't hurt anything either...as far as I know, you can run them both at the same time with no problem.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Here is how my Surveyor works. (Don't know if the Rockwood and Surveyor work the same). The switch inside the coach has a switch with a reset light. This is for propane only. The electric switch is inside the hot water heater enclosure outside. If you only have one switch inside, I have to believe that is the propane and the electric switch is outside in the heater enclosure. Why FR can't bring the electric switch inside is a bummer.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #4

Thanks forthe help. We do not have outside panel access, but we can get to our water heater from under the front bed mattress which is very inconvienent to do each time you want to use it. I will get under there though and look for that on/off electric switch.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #5

You're positive there's no outside panel? They almost always have a about a 2 x 2 foot door on the outside where the overflow valve is and vent for the propane heat. Something similar to this...

And the inside should look something like this...

Old 10-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
You're positive there's no outside panel? They almost always have a about a 2 x 2 foot door on the outside where the overflow valve is and vent for the propane heat.
The exhaust from the burner needs to go someplace, even if it's smaller.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
The hot water heater tank maybe under the bed, but there has to be an access panel outside for venting, removal of drain plug/anode, and in this case to turn the AC on. Wish it was daylight so I could take a picture and attach it but it's dark here in Michigan.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
The hot water heater tank maybe under the bed, but there has to be an access panel outside for venting, removal of drain plug/anode, and in this case to turn the AC on. Wish it was daylight so I could take a picture and attach it but it's dark here in Michigan.
I added some pics to my post, so that may help. Wherever the tank is located under the bed...look on the outside wall closest to that.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #9

Pics didn't post. Can you try again?

Old 10-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #10

They're in post #5. Just generic to give an idea, not specific to that trailer. Did they not show up in that post? I may have them set to "private" or something by default...I can see them.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #11

They're showing up as a little box with an x thru it. Am I doing something wrong???

Old 10-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #12

It's probably me...try again and see if that helped.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #13

Same results. I'm using a Wi-Fi at a campground and wonder if that's my problem, except that other thread pictures are showing up.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #14

I will have to look, but I don't remember seeing one. Everything you said makes sense for sure. We have two propane tanks outside on the front of the trailer, but the water heater is under the bed. It is near an exterior wall so I will look for that panel door for sure. Unfortunately, the trailer is kept about 45 minutes away so I wont be able to check for a while. When I do, I will let you know what I find. Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
Site Team

i'm sure you have the outside WH access door. you have a Suburban WH, which only operates on electric from the outside toggle switch.
unless a previous owner did a mod, which i doubt.

there is no inside switch for electric on a Suburban WH, in Rockwood trailers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #16

When we purchased our Flagstaff 23lb (same as your 2306) we had trouble with our electric hot water heater. It ended up being that someone before us turned on the hot water heater with no water in it and burned out the element. You may need a new element. Certainly an easy fix. I found a you tube video to help me with the install.

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
Site Team

Not all water heaters have an electric heating element, but most of the recent ones do.

If you have a Suburban brand water heater, you need to locate the outside access panel.

Here is a detailed explanation of the gas and electric options that may help you understand better, which we keep in the FAQ section here on Forest River Forums.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

We just talked about the outside access panel in another forum recently (with pics/video):

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ter-48948.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #18
Site Team

I forgot to add something for our OP. Sometimes you will see campers who instead of using the on/off electric heating element switch located on the front of the Suburban brand water heater...instead use the inside circuit breaker that controls the electrical outlet the water heater is plugged into to turn the electric heating element on/off....they just leave the outside switch always in the on position.

You may want to see if the water heater is plugged into an outlet (accessed from inside the camper), and the electrical breaker for this outlet is flipped on.

You do have to have shore power for the electric heating element to work, and always have to have water in the tank or you will burn out the element if you turn it on for any reason with no water in the tank.

It's possible that the heating element may already be burned out.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2306, heater, rockwood, water, water heater