Old 12-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #1

2009 Rockwood 2501ss

Hello,

I am a little grouchy. We bought a 2009 Rockwood 2501ss just 4 months ago. We took it out once last September for a weekend and found that the main bed (which is a fold up mattress that lays overtop af the jacknife sofa) was quite uneven. There is about a two inch difference in height from where it lays on the sofa and where it lays on carpeted box - which is an outside storage compartment. Another issue is that I happened to go on Forest River's site and see that there is a new floorplan for the 2009 Rockwood
2501ss. And it comes with a improved bed. Obviously they found problems with the 4 month old setup. Now the plan we have is not even on the website. We paid close to $30,000 CDN for this unit and I am pissed because the newer plan is much better. Do you think I have any recourse here? How can they have two 2009 Rockwood 2501ss plans in the space of 4 months? I am guessing the value of the plan we have just dropped immensly. Any advice is welcome!

Giselle S

gizzys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Grape Escape

Manufacturer states in the fine print changes can be made as the year unfolds. Unless dealer is willing to remedy which he should considering what you paid I doubt you will have much luck other than making changes yourself.
(Should have bought my 2607 for alot less)

44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
Gus

I too am an owner of a 2009 2501ss orginal design. Here is the deal with the sofa/bed. Our sofa end of the bed was also quite a bit higher than the carpeted box end, but we fixed that by sleeping on the foot end of the bed several times and contineu to do so and the foam in the couch has begun to compress. The big issue for us was the gap between the sofa and the carpeted box when the sofa was in the bed position your hip would push the mattress into the gap. We fixed this issue by placing a piece of 1/8 inch thick plastic sheeting down flat bridgeing the sofa and the carpeted box. Believe it or not the bed is pretty comfortable this way. So, sleep with your head on the foot end of the bed and use some thin plywood or plastic sheeting to bridge the gap between the sofa and carpeted box to fill in the gap. The factory could have done a much better job with the design by making the top/back of the sofa flat rather than a hump in it. With the top of the sofa flat this would have eliminated the large gap on each side of the bed between the sofa and the carpeted box. Other than these issues we love the very open floor plan, probably more open than most longer trailers. We have two small children and the open floor plan is great for them to play with out getting in the way all the time. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. If i get a change I will post some pictures of the sofa and the gap issue. Oh and by the way when we use the sofa we just slidethe piece of plastic under the folded up mattress on top of the carpeted box.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:16 PM   #4

I know exactly what you mean Gus. It is that uneven gap that is just brutal and our hips seem to lay right at that point. We will try your fix and if you have some time, please do forward on the pictures of your fix. Otherwise the trailer is just fine and we do love the openness when the slide is out. We also have two small children and the open space is very handy. It was just a little hard to swallow when I seen the new layout as I think the bathroom, the angled kitchen and the new bed setup are all improvements. I can live with the bathroom and the kitchen, but something has to be done about the bed. Otherwise I will be sleeping with my kid on the bottom bunk.
Now with your bed fixed, do you still sleep with your heads at the foot of the bed?
Thanks! Giselle
Old 12-31-2008, 09:58 AM   #5

When I bought my 2006 in the begainning model year, I kept track of the changes on my rig at all of the RV shows and on the sales lot, well Forestriver made over 6 different mods to the same tt in the same model year in production. The first change where the wheels. Yes they do have the right to make any changes at any time and it states that in the fine print. The only time Forestriver will make a change to your rig is if there is a safety issue, but don't look forward for Forestriver to contact you. The RF industry does not handle recalls like the automotive industry. There little or no regulations when it comes to RV's. Good luck and I hope you are handy in making changes, this seems to be what we all do! When we get into RFing.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
Gus

Gizzys, yes, we still sleep with our heads at the foot of the bed, I guess we just got used to it. Another thing that they should have done with the sofa is when they mounted the sofa on top of the cabinet unit below they should have mounted it back about another inch or two and then I would be able to to pull the slide in with the bed being open. As it is now in my unit the edge of the slide rubs pretty tightly against the bottom of the sofa edge with the bed laid out, Do you have this problem? I am thinking of disconnecting and remouting the sofa back an inch or two toward the carpeted box, so the edge of the sofa does not rub and we can retract the slide with out having to fold up the bed all the time. I still love the trailer the newer kitchen would have been nice, but all in all I am pretty happy with the unit. By the way we were going to use plywood under the mattress, but I was concerned that it might start splinttering and snaging on the carpet or the sofa. I happen to have some blemished plastic sheeting that my wife got from a sign company she worked at a few years ago and it is just flexible enough for comfort, but not so ridged that it is uncomfortable. The gap with out any thing over it was VERY uncomfortable. I kind of knew what I was getting into with sofa thing, due to the fact that I did a bunch of reasearch on different rv forum web sites and found some people discussing the bed/sofa issue and I went and looked at a 2007 model 2501s THE SMALL SLIDE version of this unit at our local rv dealer, they did not have a 2501ss on the lot and they had to order mine. I will tyr and get some pictures of the bed and plastic sheeting bridging the gap between the sofa and carpeted box this weekend. My trailer is up at the deer lease and we are going hunting this week end and will get the pics then. I will post as soon as possible. Again any other questions and I will be glad to answer. Please answer the question about the slid rubbing the sofa on your unit.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:39 PM   #7

Rockwood06 - Yeh, I figured we would be out of luck when it comes to getting a trade in or getting Forest River or the dealership to do anything. Hindsight, we probably bought our trailer a little too quickly into the 2009 models coming out. We did get a good deal, I think, at around $24,000 CDN. With the extended warranty and all other hidden charges, it got up to close around the $30,000 mark. It's alot of money to spend to not be 100% happy with the unit. Obviously Forest River figured out that there were issues with the current 2009 model and decided to improve it quickly. Which sucks for those who have the original model. This is our first rv so I am new to all this. But I think you are right. We will just have to become handy.

Gus, we have never tried to retract the slide with the bed laid out. We only took the rv out for one weekend before winter hit. Now, the unit is all winterized and frozen on our driveway. I don't think it would be a good idea to try to put the slide out while frozen. We are in -20 degree weather right now. We were at -40 a few weeks ago. Crazy! But I will be sure to post and give you an answer in a few months. I will note it in my calendar.

When I was researching trailers my husband insisted on a sofa whereas I would have been happy with a bed that stayed out all the time and lived without the sofa. We couldn't go really long because we wanted to be able to park the unit on our driveway. Plus we only have a half ton to pull a unit, so we needed a lighter trailer. To get a light weight trailer with a super slide was a dream come true. Even if we had to give up tank size a bit. So far we are happy with the 2501ss as well except for the bed. I just have to get the newer model out of my head and be happy with what we have. Obviously, I was happy with it when we chose it initially.

No hurry on the pics, by April is fine.

Thanks again for all your advice folks. I appreciate it!

Giselle
Old 01-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
Gus

Here is some pics of the plastic sheeting we use on the bed. Also, there are some pics of the bottom of the slide on my trailer. If you look real close at the pics you will see a gap between a hard piece of black plastic and the edge of the floor of the trailer. The gap was large enought that I could reach my fingers in and feel the top side of the floor. The biggest problem was that this gap would not go closed when the slide was in. I had to take the trail back to the dealer and get it fixed. It only took them a month, what a pain. Anyway you better check under you slide while the warrenty is still good.

http://community.webshots.com/user/krandig
Old 01-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #9

Gus, Thanks so much for the pictures AND the info on the issue you had with your slide. I will pass this along to my husband to check out. In spring we will look for a plastic sheet similar to yours to bridge the gap between the sofa and the carpeted box the mattress lies on. Your unit lookes exactly like ours. I have not forgotten about your question about the bed being folded out with the slide in. We are still dealing with -20 temperatures. I cannot WAIT until summer.

Giselle
Old 01-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #10

Gus, what vehicle do you use to pull your trailer? We have a 2004 Ford F150 4x4 Supercab 5.4 litre (1/2 ton). How fast do you drive generally pulling your rv?

Giselle
Old 01-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
Gus

I pull it with a 2003 Dodge pickup with a 5.7 liter hemi at 60-67 mph. It does the job although going up and down hills does seem to down shift more than I would like. I need to get some new tires on the pickup soon. The tires I have are 275-75-17 with a load range C, so the back of the truck does not feel too stable at times. I need to get a load range e tire to take make it alittle more stable, but the 17 inch rim makes my choices or tire pretty limited. By the way if you look at the picture with the bed laid down and you can see the edge of the slide, there is no room for bringing in the slide with the bed out, it can be done however the slide rubs the bottom of the bed enough that it will eventually wear though the materil the bed/sofa is covered with. It is a very tight fit.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #12

Gus,
We took out our trailer to get some warranty issues handled this weekend. Anyhow, we are able to fully set up the main bed (put down sofa and unfold mattress) with the slide in and have about 1 inch between the mattress and the wood trim on the slide. The mattress/sofa does not touch the slide at all. Which is good if ever we need to stay in the trailer with the slide in. The service person at the dealership where we bought our unit took a look at the bed (couch) and says that it is obviously too low. So I am hoping that it can be levelled a bit better.
Giselle
Old 04-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #13
Gus

Giselle, Thanks for the answer. I am probably going attempt to remount the our couch. Happy camping.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #14

We brought our trailer in for some warranty work. They agreed the main bed was not very level and they have adjusted it (we'll see how much better it is). I also asked them to look into the electric awning and it's inability to to angle when it gathers too much water. I had heard from another thread on this forum about a fix for this. Low and behold we are getting a new arm that can be manually adjusted to angle the awning to release the water. Dometic is shipping the part free to our service people and the part is free but we may have to pay for our service people to do the labour. We were assurred it wouldn't be much. So if you are worried about your electric awning getting destroyed by water load, check into this.
Giselle
Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #15
CampeRooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
...although going up and down hills does seem to down shift more than I would like. I need to get some new tires on the pickup soon. The tires I have are 275-75-17 with a load range C, so the back of the truck does not feel too stable at times. I need to get a load range e tire to take make it alittle more stable, but the 17 inch rim makes my choices or tire pretty limited...
Hey Gus,
there's a 265 70 17 tire out there, in fact its the stock e rated tires for the diesel version of the 2500 ram. Tons of people get rid of these as soon as they get their truck and upgrade to 285, 305, or 315's to fill in the wheel wells and the best part is, you can probably get a used set pretty cheap (400-600/set vs 200/tire new). The michelin highway tire and the bfg rugged trail tire are probably the most common at the lot. You also may have to get the truck computer reprogrammed for the smaller tire (80 bucks), but it just might help the shifting issue too by bringing the ratio down a bit. Just thought i would throw that out. Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:58 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Stability, don't automatically blame tires. Have checked the rest of the suspension? Shock bushings, sway bar bushings, shocks. Just replaced my shocks with Rancho RSX, and it feels likt the camper lost 2000 pounds.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #17
Gus

Thanks Joe and Windrider for your opions and suggestions, I will take them into consideration. Gisselle I do not have an electric awning, but thanks for all the information about your unit. It helps to talk to someone with our model unit. I dont think there are a hole bunch of 2501ss's out there. Have a good day everyone I will stay in contact.

Tags
2501, rockwood