Old 01-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
2009 Rockwood 8317ss

I ordered the above trailer in October of 2008. The only information I had was an 08 brocure and 08 information directly from Forest River's website. Now I am finding out our trailer was made with the 2009 specifications. This means the camper is 11" longer 300+ pounds heavier and 290 pounds heavier on the tounge weight. The tounge weight on this camper has risen 38% which is insane! That puts the tounge weight percentage at just under 18%. At a weight of 1111 pounds our PSD Excursion is only rated for 1250 pounds on the reciever. Sad to think that our 3/4 ton suv can not tow this supposed "ultralight". Is anyone towing this 2009 trailer and/or run into a similar situation?

sfsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:14 AM   #2

i have an 08 8317ss and walked through an 09. i didnt see that much difference. i cant see how the numbers could change that much.unless the 08 numbers werent correct.either way if you have a 3/4 ton truck there is absolutely no reason you would have any problems towing this trailer.
regardless of wich numbers are actually right. either way you should use a good weight dist. tongue weight of the 09 is 850 should not be a problem.
dont panick you should be fine. enjoy the new camper!!!!!!!

HOWIE BEDELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
I agree with you and would be fine if the tongue weight was 850. I have reese dual cam sway control with 1200 pound bars.

They are posting the tongue wieght of 1111 pounds. That leaves 139 pounds until I reach the maximum weight distrubition tongue rating of 1250 pounds on our Excursion. Just going to be to close. Besides that the gross weight of the 'x' is to be 9200 pounds. Weighed it the other day and was 7720 pounds with roughly 30 gallons gas and with no driver. Leaves 369 pounds to max rating for truck. It may be a 3/4 ton truck but has its limitations also. These are just numbers but just doesn't give me much comfort IMHO. Thanks for your insight Howie.
sfsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
We also tow with PSD Excursion (2000), 2009 All American Toy Hauler, two quads, 100 g water, 30 gallons of gas on camper and 44 g of deisel. I weighed the complete package 20k+.
I added air bags to the rear suspension, and use Equalizer (1400) WD hitch. Specs list 1,508 lbs tounge weight and 13,500 GVWR.

Obviously, if correct, I am over the listed capacities for the Excursion. I have had no issues except I blew a load range E tire on the camper, I suspect that the GVWR was to close to the load rating. I have replaced the camper tires with load range G to hopefully prevent future tire failure.

I do inspect the hitch regularly and have seen no ill effects.
out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote

8317ss, rockwood