Old 11-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #1

2010 Rockwood 2604 water heater question

Our water heater does not seem to heat water very hot. In the summer I could take a shower with just the hot water on (no cold) and it was just comfortable. Now that it is colder, I can only get lukewarm at best. Any ideas?

When we picked the trailer up last year he told us the electric switch was on the outside and the gas switch was on the inside. We should heat it up with electric initially and then switch it off and use the gas. Does this sound right?

Thank you for your help. Our dealer has been "TOO BUSY" to help us and if it is something easy, I'd just as soon do it ourselves. Dealer is a long ways away.

BTW-I do not remember having this problem last year.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sound like the hw bypass valve is in the BYPASS position

Sounds like you need a new dealer its normally a 5 minute fix on most campers

Old 11-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The valve arrangement is behind hw heater. Should be three valves they all need to be turned.
the bypass is for winterizing.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #4

Thank you for your speedy reply. I agree about the dealer. The one close to us isn't any better. We bring our trailer home tomorrow (we have to store it - neighborhood rules) for our last outing of the year. DH said he will check. He thought he had them all correct.

One other thought: as I was reading other threads on water heaters, everyone warns about making sure there is water in the water heater before turning on the heater. We were not sure if we did that or not this year....if we did not could that be the problem or would it not heat at all then???

Thanks again for any help/suggestions.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfiregal View Post
When we picked the trailer up last year he told us the electric switch was on the outside and the gas switch was on the inside. We should heat it up with electric initially and then switch it off and use the gas. Does this sound right?
Like Turbo said, check your bypass valves. As far as gas and electric, I would run them both if I was having marginal water temps. In fact, I run both anyway.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfiregal View Post
Thank you for your speedy reply. I agree about the dealer. The one close to us isn't any better. We bring our trailer home tomorrow (we have to store it - neighborhood rules) for our last outing of the year. DH said he will check. He thought he had them all correct.

One other thought: as I was reading other threads on water heaters, everyone warns about making sure there is water in the water heater before turning on the heater. We were not sure if we did that or not this year....if we did not could that be the problem or would it not heat at all then???

Thanks again for any help/suggestions.
It would affect the electric side but most likely not the gas side.

So in theory the gas should be fine. Electric element may have been affected.

But truly sounds like valves are not quite right. Imo
Old 11-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

the outside shower valves on, is sometimes a cause of this. the shower head can be off but if the valves are open, it can cause mixing.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #8

Basics first

Hi, I just want to offer a couple of thoughts to help with your problem.

1st - To confirm you have water in the heater - You can:
  • Open the pressure relief valve located on the HW heater while it is under pressure and see if you have a good flow or;
  • Remove the annode and confirm it was full.
2nd - If no water is in the tank:
  • Open the foward left cargo compartment (just forward of the HW Htr on the 2604
  • Remove the panel perpendicular to the rear edge of the access door (1/8" square drive bit should do it). This panel provides access to your water heater valves, pump etc..
3rd - you will see red and blue lines that feed the water heater.
  • There is a ball valve on each line that opens or blocks flow to the HW tank for use during winterization.
  • If you want Hot water then ensure both valve handles are in line with the lines (open) and the valve on the bypass line (between red and blue is closed.
  • If, by chance you've been heating an empty tank, I hope you have done no damage.
4th - I also have a 2011 2604 and I use both gas and electric as I find it provides quicker recovery. If I'm concerned about propane, then I use only the electric but it is notably slower.

Last - I have no idea of your level of RV knowledge or mechanical ablity, so please don't take offense at anything I've said.

Best of luck
Old 11-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIRED56 View Post
Hi, I just want to offer a couple of thoughts to help with your problem.

1st - To confirm you have water in the heater - You can:
  • Open the pressure relief valve located on the HW heater while it is under pressure and see if you have a good flow or;
  • Remove the annode and confirm it was full.
2nd - If no water is in the tank:
  • Open the foward left cargo compartment (just forward of the HW Htr on the 2604
  • Remove the panel perpendicular to the rear edge of the access door (1/8" square drive bit should do it). This panel provides access to your water heater valves, pump etc..
3rd - you will see red and blue lines that feed the water heater.
  • There is a ball valve on each line that opens or blocks flow to the HW tank for use during winterization.
  • If you want Hot water then ensure both valve handles are in line with the lines (open) and the valve on the bypass line (between red and blue is closed.
  • If, by chance you've been heating an empty tank, I hope you have done no damage.
4th - I also have a 2011 2604 and I use both gas and electric as I find it provides quicker recovery. If I'm concerned about propane, then I use only the electric but it is notably slower.

Last - I have no idea of your level of RV knowledge or mechanical ablity, so please don't take offense at anything I've said.

Best of luck
No offense taken at all. What you said is very, very, helpful. We are kind of new to all this so we appreciate any and all details. Thank you for being more explicit. The lightbulb just went on in DH's head and he thinks that maybe that bypass line IS wrong.

I know we haven't been heating an empty tank on a regular basis. But that first time out could have been a problem.

Thanks again to everyone. We are so appreciative of your help.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
the outside shower valves on, is sometimes a cause of this. the shower head can be off but if the valves are open, it can cause mixing.
We will check this out also!

Tags