Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #1

2010 Rockwood 8315bss

Going to purchase new 8315bss, anyone with input, opinions, on this TT?
chief56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to BENTE
i don't have your camper but to the forum

we needed the bunk beds on ours but if it were just me and the wife that unit looks really nice

tb

2009 Wildwood 26tbss
Nights Camped in 2010 38
BENTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #3

We had a '06 8315SS.
Loved the floorplan. Lots of room in living/kitchen area. Large bathroom with lots of storage also. Plenty of cabinets in the kitchen too. Towed great with the Equal-i-zer brand hitch. Only thing was the bedroom was a little tight(end of bed very close to the bathroom door). If we had waited a year or so, we could have gotten the 8315BSS(bedroom slide model). We sold it and bought a 5er.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new trailer!

We have a 2009 8315ss and we love the floor plan. The bedroom (no slide) is tight but we are only in there at night so no big deal. With no slide in the bedroom it allows room for the rear pass through storage, which I need. The wife don't care since she doesn't mess with anything in there anyways. I think she would rather have the slide for one reason, she thinks it would be easier to make the bed.

We also have the table and chairs instead of the booth. Really like that too.

The day/night shades are hard to get to behind the couch and the table. You have to pull the shade out to clear the knob that opens and closes the window, but the side window trim gets in the way.

The TT is tongue heavy. Around 1,000 lbs or better when loaded. I traded my F-150 in for a F-250 for stability and to carry the tongue weight better.

Overall we really like the TT. I hope you enjoy yours as well.

Good luck and happy camping.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum Congrats on the new camper Visit us often
Old 07-08-2010, 11:53 PM   #6

chief56,

I thought I would pass this on. The black tank (toilet) and grey tank (bathroom sink and shower) use the same dump valve located towards the rear. The galley tank (kitchen sink) dump valve is located towards the front under the slideout. I bought an extra sewer hose and a "y" so that I could connect everything. If you do need to dump the galley you will have to crawl under the slideout to open and close the valve.

I have gone back to just hooking up the rear dump valve while camping. I can go for at least four days before needing to dump the galley, longer if I'm careful. When I have everything packed up and ready to go, I usually just leave the sewer hose out and back up the TT a little, then dump the galley. It's alot less hassel then hooking up the "y" and I don't have to crawl under the slideout.

If I do need to dump the galley while still camped, I just unhook the sewer hose from the rear dump valve, crawl under the slideout and hook it up to the galley dump valve, then open/close the vavle. I have to crawl under the slideout, but this way I don't have to lay out more sewer hose and do all the connections.

Just thought this might help.

Good luck and happy camping.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:13 AM   #7

My TV is a 2010 F150 Lariat 5.4L, 3.55 rear, max tow rating of 9800lbs with Reese Dual Cam WDH.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief56 View Post
My TV is a 2010 F150 Lariat 5.4L, 3.55 rear, max tow rating of 9800lbs with Reese Dual Cam WDH.
By the towing weight stats you should be OK. The GVWR on that trailer is 8633 lbs. But that is a lot of trailer for a 1/2 ton pickup.

Make sure you have the heavy duty tow package that Ford offers, which includes an auxiliary transmission cooler and wiring harness. Get a top line brake controller.

MY 2006 F150 5.4L with 3.73 gears is rated for 9300 lbs. towing, and feel that the current 5500 lb., 28.5' trailer is about the max of what I would want to pull. I know that Ford has upped the towing figures over the last couple of years with more horsepower and torque squeezed out of the 5.4L, and the 6 speed tranny over the old 4 speed like mine should help also.

Make sure your hitch is rated to tow that kinda weight. My hitch is rated to tow 9900 lbs. with a 990 lb. tongue weight used with a weight distributing hitch. I think you will probably find that your loaded tongue weight is going to be over 1000 lbs., so double check the sticker on your hitch for the stats......don't overload and stress the hitch. A quality WDH with integrated sway control is a must, such as the Equalizer or Reese Straight Line.

Just as important with the tow capacity is the wheelbase of the truck.......you didn't mention the cab/bed configuration. With a 34 foot travel trailer, an extended cab with an 8' bed would be the best setup....that is the longest wheelbase that you can get with an F150 @ 163". With that long of a trailer, your wheelbase should be in the mid 160s.

If it were me, even with the 163" wheelbase truck, I would think long and hard with this big of a trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. If you have a shorter truck like the popular 145" wheelbase (Crew Cab/5.5' bed, or Super Cab/6.5' bed), I would look at something under 30 foot length.

I think grhodes50 used to pull with a similar setup before he bought his F250, so it would be interesting to hear his opinion on that setup with his 8315ss.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #9

My wheelbase is 145" n its a CC. I really like the 8315bss, but now thinking it maybe to big for my truck. I just bought the truck n sure don't want to get another one. Does anyone else tow a 8315bss with a F150 setup like mine? Getting conflicting info on this whole configuration; some say it'll tow fine ours say not. Really need to know if its a good setup or will it be a mistake. Thanks for any and all info. Trying to be as informed as possible before I purchase this TT.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My wheelbase is 145" n its a CC. I really like the 8315bss, but now thinking it maybe to big for my truck. I just bought the truck n sure don't want to get another one. Does anyone else tow a 8315bss with a F150 setup like mine? Getting conflicting info on this whole configuration; some say it'll tow fine ours say not. Really need to know if its a good setup or will it be a mistake. Thanks for any and all info. Trying to be as informed as possible before I purchase this TT.
This is the place to ask the questions. Others will chime in and give their opinions. But that is all we can give. We are not certified towing experts.......I am not sure if anyone is. We just let you know what we think, and you can make an informed decision from that.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #11

Quote:
It can all be confussing. There are several factors you have to look at. Towing capacity, GCWR, GVWR, RAWR, tongue weight, and so forth. You have to check all the different weights and determine where your "weakest link" is and stay within those limitations.

As far as power my 2007 F-150, 5.4 V8 did fine. I don't have any mountains, just a few small hills to climb. I have the same engine in my F-250 and even though the truck is heavier, it pulls the TT just as well as my F-150. Better tranny and has the tow/haul mode. I know the V10 or diesel would be better, but this truck fits my needs.

My F-150 had a shorter wheel base than your's and less towing capacity, due mainly to less GVWR for my truck versus yours. This is what hurt me. I tweaked my Equal-i-zer hitch the best I could and was still squatting approx 2". The front was approx ¾" high. Under normal conditions it towed just fine, but with high winds and rain, it wasn't so good. Air bags would have leveled things out, but you have to remember they do not increase your truck's weight capacities.

Once I experienced high winds and rain. I drove 50 mph on the interstate and felt like I was driving on ice. That's when I told my wife I was going to look for a different truck. I was upside down on my truck but last October my SIL found a really good deal on a '08 F-250 and that helped offset the negative equity I had. Currently I owe approx NADA's average retail value, so I'm not hurting too bad.

The F-250 is a CC, long bed with a 172" wheel base. Load range "E" tires, in dash brake controler and of coures heavier suspension and brakes. It handles the TT really nice. I've towed in high winds and rain with no problems. Semi's don't phase me.

Since your F-150 has higher weight capacities than mine did, I would ask the dealer for a test tow. You would be towing with unloaded weights but it should give you a good idea if the truck can handle the TT.

Hope this info helps you.

Good luck and happy camping!
Old 07-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #12

Thanks grhodes50 n mtnguy for ur insightful feedback. Test tow, I did mention to salesman about that very thing, but seemed reluctant to do so, but still pressuring him to do that. I think that could answer many of my questions. Personnally I think that's the only way to go...just like a test drive. Its not like I haven't towed a TT before. I have a 09 Jayco TT 226 now; 24', 3882# dry.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #13

Hello all!

DH and I are looking to get this same model and are wrestling with very similar questions/issues. We are new to this forum and are thankful for so many of you sharing your experiences and knowledge.

We are contemplating purchasing a Ford Excursion, the 2005 6.0L turbo desiel powerstroke model. It's apparently built on an F-250 engine and has a wheelbase of 137", tow limit of 11K lbs. Anybody here use this vehicle to tow the Rockwood 8315bss or it's Flagstaff mirror model? Thanks!!! ~ Dawn & Roger
Look'in To Ecapé is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8315bss, rockwood