Old 07-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
Originally Posted by chief56 View Post
My wheelbase is 145" n its a CC. I really like the 8315bss, but now thinking it maybe to big for my truck. I just bought the truck n sure don't want to get another one. Does anyone else tow a 8315bss with a F150 setup like mine? Getting conflicting info on this whole configuration; some say it'll tow fine ours say not. Really need to know if its a good setup or will it be a mistake. Thanks for any and all info. Trying to be as informed as possible before I purchase this TT.
It can all be confussing. There are several factors you have to look at. Towing capacity, GCWR, GVWR, RAWR, tongue weight, and so forth. You have to check all the different weights and determine where your "weakest link" is and stay within those limitations.

As far as power my 2007 F-150, 5.4 V8 did fine. I don't have any mountains, just a few small hills to climb. I have the same engine in my F-250 and even though the truck is heavier, it pulls the TT just as well as my F-150. Better tranny and has the tow/haul mode. I know the V10 or diesel would be better, but this truck fits my needs.

My F-150 had a shorter wheel base than your's and less towing capacity, due mainly to less GVWR for my truck versus yours. This is what hurt me. I tweaked my Equal-i-zer hitch the best I could and was still squatting approx 2". The front was approx ¾" high. Under normal conditions it towed just fine, but with high winds and rain, it wasn't so good. Air bags would have leveled things out, but you have to remember they do not increase your truck's weight capacities.

Once I experienced high winds and rain. I drove 50 mph on the interstate and felt like I was driving on ice. That's when I told my wife I was going to look for a different truck. I was upside down on my truck but last October my SIL found a really good deal on a '08 F-250 and that helped offset the negative equity I had. Currently I owe approx NADA's average retail value, so I'm not hurting too bad.

The F-250 is a CC, long bed with a 172" wheel base. Load range "E" tires, in dash brake controler and of coures heavier suspension and brakes. It handles the TT really nice. I've towed in high winds and rain with no problems. Semi's don't phase me.

Since your F-150 has higher weight capacities than mine did, I would ask the dealer for a test tow. You would be towing with unloaded weights but it should give you a good idea if the truck can handle the TT.

Hope this info helps you.

Good luck and happy camping!

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2016 Nights Camped - 9
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #12
Thanks grhodes50 n mtnguy for ur insightful feedback. Test tow, I did mention to salesman about that very thing, but seemed reluctant to do so, but still pressuring him to do that. I think that could answer many of my questions. Personnally I think that's the only way to go...just like a test drive. Its not like I haven't towed a TT before. I have a 09 Jayco TT 226 now; 24', 3882# dry.

chief56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #13
Hello all!

DH and I are looking to get this same model and are wrestling with very similar questions/issues. We are new to this forum and are thankful for so many of you sharing your experiences and knowledge.

We are contemplating purchasing a Ford Excursion, the 2005 6.0L turbo desiel powerstroke model. It's apparently built on an F-250 engine and has a wheelbase of 137", tow limit of 11K lbs. Anybody here use this vehicle to tow the Rockwood 8315bss or it's Flagstaff mirror model? Thanks!!! ~ Dawn & Roger

Look'in To Ecapé is offline   Reply With Quote

8315bss, rockwood