Old 10-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #1

2011 2604 refrigerator not cooling

Getting ready to take the last trip of the year, and found that after the refrigerator had been plugged in since 5:30am, it's not very cold. Freezer and bottom fridge is not real cold. You can hear the unit come on and off, the light inside comes on, just not very cold. Anyone know what I can check to see what's up? The trailer is fairly level, no worse then it's been before and worked fine. The temp in the fridge is around 48 degrees. I've slide up the control to the coldest setting and waiting a couple of hours and see if it gets any colder.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Greg

Old 10-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Refer make and model number might help. Also try it on propane.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Make sure the breaker is on, and that the fridge is plugged in....pull the outside cover to check that. I think the fridge light will come on even if you don't have 120 volt power......the fridge light is 12 volts.

Also, try it on propane as windrider suggested. That doesn't cure the lack of 120 volt cooling, but might get you through your camping trip.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #4

You stated that you "plugged it in at 5:30am, BUT didn't say how long it was on before noticing the cooling issue. These fridges take much lonmger to cool off, because they don't come with a cooling fan (most), and the electric side is not as efficient as the gas side. Also, it depends on how hot or cool the outdoors temp is; in the heat of the summer, it does not cool as well as wintertime! Expect a good 3 1/2 to 4 hours to get good and cold in an empty fridge on electric at initial startup. That's my opinion, at least. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
Arn
Arn

Try moving your slide the other way. Even though mine says up for colder, we have to push it down.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #6

So we just got back from the trip. Found that if I put the fridge on propane it worked. Never had to adjust the temp control. Wanted to try putting it back to elec once it was cold but didn't want to risk it not working once it was back on propane. It is a Dometic fridge. Not sure what the model is.

So yea it was plugged in at 5:30am, went to start loading the food around 6:00pm, and it wasn't very cold. In the low 40's according to the thermometer inside. It was in the mid 60-70's outside.

So it seems to be fine on propane not on elec. Anything to check? I'm thinking I'm close to being out of Rockwood 1 year warranty. I see that the fridge has a two year, so that should cover it I hope.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #7

I had a similar issue with mine earlier in the year. Turns out the outlet I was using in my garage was the issue. It was on a 15 amp breaker and while it supplied enough power for the light to come on, and I could hear the compressor running, the unit was not actually receiving enough power to cool. I upgraded the breaker for that outlet to 20 amps and I have not had any more issues.

Have you checked the outlet you are using at the house to plug into?
Old 10-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #8

Dropped off trailer at dealership on Sat. So we'll see what the issue is. Luckily it should be covered under the 2 year Dometic warranty.

CFUN: Your suggestion sounds good. I did not try another plug. All I know is that the same plug worked before to cool the frdige enough over a 12 hour period
Old 11-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #9

So forgot to update. We picked up the trailer last weekend and the dealer found nothing wrong. They said they ran it on LP and elec and it held temp both ways. I asked about the idea that my elec outlet at home may not be putting out enough ummph to run it and they said that the fridge on elec requires so little that it was unlikely the issue.

They also recommended I load cold food into the fridge when I first turn it on as a way to "turbo-charge" the cooling. Anyone else do this? Was concerned about food spoiling before it gets cold enough

Thanks
Greg
Old 11-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I have never heard of turbo charging before the fridge cools down. I try to load already chilled food after it gets down to temperature, with as few as possible items that are still room temperature.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags