Old 11-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #1

2011 Rockwood 8285WS mod

I have a 2011 Rockwood 8285WS Signature Ultralight 5th wheel and interested in seeing what others have done to use the large cabinbet spaces above the refrigerator and the TV. These cabinets are very high and wanted to see what you have done.
Pictures will be greatly appreciated.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #2

We keep a small folding step ladder behind the sofa and if necessary use this to access these spaces. I also only keep items that I seldom need in these spaces.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #3

We are just today on our very first trip in our 8285, and so far only have seldom used pots above the frig, and nothing yet over the tv, still thinking. I told Mom we needed to use plastic tubs up there that we can just grab and take down with extra dry goods. Right now, we're using a small folding stool, and Mom gets me to do it.

On another note, can either of you tell me how to remove the tv from the wall? Also, have you tried to hook up a satelite box?
Old 11-26-2011, 08:24 AM   #4

Keep an eye on that television! My wife thought ours was further away from the wall than when we purchased. She was right (as usual I might add). I had to tighten the threaded bolts (or whatever they're called) that attach to the tv otherwise the tv would have fallen off the wall mount.

To remove grasp the sides of the tv and lift. It slides into a bracket. For some it can be difficult to not only remove but also to slide back into the bracket.

I have not tried to use a satellite.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #5

We messed with the connections for over two hours, two phone calls to the dealer, but finially got the sat to work. It's not like our last set up, we could flip back and forth between sat and over the air at ease This one is either/or, and several steps to get there.

If you ever try to hook up a sat, and can't figure it out, I'll let you know what I did. But then of course, you're probably a lot smarter than I
Old 11-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #6

So far we use the cabinet above the refrigerator for paper goods and light stuff. I have seen others add another shelf above the refer.

I may start looking for a small step for my DW.

The space above the TV is almost bare and we may stora box with our coffee maker up there when traveling.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alageezer View Post
We messed with the connections for over two hours, two phone calls to the dealer, but finially got the sat to work. It's not like our last set up, we could flip back and forth between sat and over the air at ease This one is either/or, and several steps to get there.

If you ever try to hook up a sat, and can't figure it out, I'll let you know what I did. But then of course, you're probably a lot smarter than I

I will be hooking up a SAT dish on a future trip early next year.
1. All I figure is hooking up the dish outside to the SAT input to trailer.
2. Take RG8 from cable under TV that says SAT to SAT Receiver input.
3. Take Receiver output RG-6 and feed it into wall that Says TV.
4. Set sound to AV1 or AV2
5. SET TV to the appropriate channel to receive Receiver signal I think mine is 3 or 4

Now how did you do yours?
Cable from dish thru window to receiver and out put receiver directly to TV?

Old 12-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #8

Let me see if I can make sense of this. The way you described is how we did it initially. The problem is you have to turn off and on the over the air antennae boost in order to switch back and forth. It works, but I wasn't satisfied.

Next trip out, I worked with it more, and finially figured it out. How we do it now is run the coax from the sat connection to the box, then take audio/video cables and hook them from the box to the panel marked Sat/cable. Now, when we switch from antennae to sat, we hit the remote for TV input and set it to video, and switch the surround control to AV1.

On a side note, we've had the rig out twice, about a thousand miles, and eight nights, and are absolutely ticked pink with the unit. Trying to get about 20+ nights in it before we head out for the long summer trip.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alageezer View Post
Let me see if I can make sense of this. The way you described is how we did it initially. The problem is you have to turn off and on the over the air antennae boost in order to switch back and forth. It works, but I wasn't satisfied.

Next trip out, I worked with it more, and finially figured it out. How we do it now is run the coax from the sat connection to the box, then take audio/video cables and hook them from the box to the panel marked Sat/cable. Now, when we switch from antennae to sat, we hit the remote for TV input and set it to video, and switch the surround control to AV1.

On a side note, we've had the rig out twice, about a thousand miles, and eight nights, and are absolutely ticked pink with the unit. Trying to get about 20+ nights in it before we head out for the long summer trip.

Haven't looked to see if the 2012 is any different than my 2011 but it does fit our need. Just Momma and me and a guest once in a while.
The way you plan to do it next time is the way you would hook up a Play Station and I may do it that way also. Many people don't have the multi- input panels we have in our 8285WS. I will have to take a few pictures when all done.

Thanks

Old 12-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #10

I don't think there is any difference between an 11 and 12. We really like ours so far, especially Grandma. It was a huge upgrade from what he had, a 25' tt with no slide. We had a good time in that trailer, it served us well. We did five trips from Al to ID in four years, probably about 40,000 miles. One of those even went out close to you. We spent one night each in Tuscon, Ajo, and Quartzsite. Probably going that direction again this year.