Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #1

2011 Rockwood Signature 8317RKSS

We are looking at buying the rockwood signature 8317rkss. Anyone own this camper, and can give me some feedback. We have a Bullet Premier 28RL(without car paint). We love everything about our camper except making the table or sofa a bed, and if more we have blown up mattress and put in front of the fridge. Before the premier I am used to having an antiqua( hybrid ) made three big beds that stayed up and table and sofa made a bed. Before that we had a pop up that made two beds that stayed up all the time and made two other beds if I needed them.The premier is the nicest camper I ever owned but I don't have enough beds. If we trade we will trade for bunks but we decided we would go on and get the kitchen, too. We do cook outside when its summer , especially if its something thats going to take over an hour. One thing I noticed in my trade was I would loose my glass shower doors and linen closet in the bathroom(I can live with that) I feel like I would get a better master bedroom, about the same table and sofa, bigger tv, but alot less kitchen storage than my Premier. I would gain the bunkbeds, outside kitchen, grill, ladder, power stabilizing jacks, bigger awning, bigger air conditioneer, and more outdoor storage. The rockwood has a front cap like my premier and it also has the gell gloss finish on the outside body of the camper.Is that a positive? If anyone has this camper where do you put your dishes, pots and pans, food, towels. I have alot of overhead storage in my camper at this time but I won't in the rockwood 8317rkss. But... I have more easier space to use under the dinette, under the bed. The Rockwood has alot of drawers (mine has two). So that part is about as broad as it is long, I guess. I would appreciate any feedback about this camper.Thankyou
On the road again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #2

I've got a 8317SS(2008 model)...no outside kitchen. Really have enjoyed my rig, but looking at changing models due to the fact the kiddos are now gone and out of the house, so no need for all the sleeping space. This model really has a great deal of space, and storage. I've found the back side door to be a blessing for loading and unloading gear. Great pass thru storage compartment up front, and under bunks all accessable from outside. Ample storage for kitchen stuff and more with the cabinets above the couch and table area. The add on kitchen counter is also nice to have. Easy to put on and take off. For using the sleeper sofa, counter extension will need to be removed as bed extends past the counter leg. Bathroom is a bit shy on storage space, but I installed shelves under the sink and added a shelf above the toliet for more storage room.
Mine does not have the power jacks, or the outside kitchen but everything else. I also installed a swivel/tilt mount for the tv so it can easily be viewed from the couch. You'll love the large awning, and the rear outside light. Great to be able to see from both sides of the coach at night.
I've not had any major issues with mine, just a few minor ones which showed up early and were repaired by the dealer. It pulls great. If your desire is for sleeping room and storage space you won't go wrong on this model. We had as many as 10 go with us camping in our rig. No one had to sleep outdoors. When we're not camping, it severs as a guest house

We are looking at the 3008W Windjammer.....want a larger bedroom and bathroom.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #3

We have no kids at home now either. But....my daughter and her family like to go.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #4

My wife and I bought the 2011 8317rkss last year and used it for around 20 nights last year. We are in our early thirty's with one small child, well 2 now. We absolutely love this trailer. The outdoor kitchen is a great asset and we hardly ever used the inside stove. All of our paper plates and plastic cutlery as well as a setting for the three of us were stored outside in the outdoor kitchen. The pots and pans were easily stored under the sink close to the door. A few oven dishes we stored right in the stove. The toaster is stored under the kingsize u-dinette. Other place settings were stored over the sink. We found the kitchen to have enough storage for all we needed for a 2 week stay. Having the extra fridge really helps. The rear shelves and drawers stored our child's closes, life jackets, etc. as well as our rain gear. The drawer in the rear worked perfect for us to store diapers and wipes. The outside access to the bunks works great. I usually folded up the lower bunk when travelling and stored a ton of stuff back there, toys etc. The front pass through storage was quickly organized with some cheap rubbermaid containers. These are easily pushed from the center to the side where they could be taken out with the axe or whatever. The large power awning made it comfortable in any weather. With only about 1 foot gap between the awning and the roof of the outdoor kitchen it was easily used in poor weather. We went with the awning over the slide because of where we camp. The trailer came with a 32" tv that we put the kids movie on when he was in the play pen in nasty weather. We did watch some movies late at night when the fire wouldn't stay burning on the bedroom tv. All in all we are extremely happy with the quality of the trailer and how it performs.

We live in Alberta, Canada and we purchased the trailer down in Indiana. I pulled it home with a 2004 2500 Dodge diesel with no problems at all. The trailer pulls very easily and once loaded up it is easy to keep the tongue weight where you need it. Be happy to answer any of your questions. Looking forward to this year of camping!
2005 Brute Force 750
And most importantly, a loving wife, 2 year old son and a NEW BABY GIRL NOV.30 (I do it all for them!)
rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #5

Rigger,
Wanted to thank everyone for any comments about the Rockwood 8317RKSS. A couple of questions I have is does it bother you that the bunk room doesn't have a slideout? I have read different threads that said I would regret not getting slide out with bunks. How do you think your bunk room would be for teenagers, or adults to sleep in? We are wanting a camper where if just a 2-3 people stay all night with us we don't have to make beds.(table and sofa) But if lets say 6 people stay with us , we don't have to make a tent. I know that a camper with more than three beds makes it easier because I have had a pop up (2 beds plus bench sofa and table)and the hybrid ( 3 beds plus table and sofa), but now with a bigger camper(one bed plus sofa and table) we have less beds than we did then. I don't know what we were thinking?? Last yr my husband and I wanted the super slide out with U shape table and sofa that made a bed. (I saw 3 big beds) I never could find that plus bunk beds within my husbands comfortable limit of towing with his truck. We should have just waited. One thing I have noticed is if we do get a slide (for what we can tow)then you loose the storage. We were thinking of getting the 8317RKSS because it seems to have everything. For extra guest we would have beds. When we go by ourselves we would still use the bunk room for storage and definetly the outside kitchen at the lake. So it wouldn't be a total waste by ourselves in towing that end of the camper around. We spend most of our camping within an hour of home. We live in Tn and camp on beautiful Norris lake or in the mountains. In the summer we spend alot of time at the lake with not just our daughter and her family but with our extended family of brothers, sisters their families, and friends. If we go camping in the spring and fall it is usually just my husband and I.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #6

At first we thought we might want the rear slide. That would have given us more room for the baby's play pen. But once we started looking more it seems you start to get into that lose something to get something area. If you get the rear slide you lose the outside access and storage and the weight of the trailer starts to climb.

When we camp it is either just us, us and family or us and close friends. If the extra people sleeping in the back are not small then it is harder for them to close the door and have 2 people change or get dressed. We found it was not an issue if they just did it one at a time. That being said as long as the vitals are covered then the door was usually open and people got dressed where ever. That makes up a very short part of the day so not worth worrying about. I found with the storage offered on the 8317rkss and the fact you can store things on the floor in the rear because you don't have a slide makes it all work(during travel). So far would not change a thing.

As for teenagers they would have zero problems with the bunk set up. And dad at 66 climbed onto the top bunk and found it comfortable to sleep in.

Best thing to do is look at both set up on the same day. Then try to move in the rear like you would if you were staying in it. Also think of all the items you want to take with you and see where they would all fit. When all is said and done and they are both too close to call, go with the one that you love looking at the most and don't ever look back!
2005 Brute Force 750
And most importantly, a loving wife, 2 year old son and a NEW BABY GIRL NOV.30 (I do it all for them!)
rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #7

Rigger,
You are absolutely right. We have found that after this camper it seems like its just trade offs and the weight goes up. We can't handle the weight and we do like the storage! Its all easy to get to!
You sound like you camp like we do. We don't spend the day in the camper. For us its a place to sleep and prepare meals. Shelter if it rains. We like being outside. The first thing we do, is get up and go outside in the mornings. We use the bathouse at the campground alot. Where we camp it is always clean. I'm 54 and tried the bunks and it didn't seem like a problem for me, either. But I'm only 5'2 , so I just wodered. Its so nice your Dad goes! My Dad went many years with us after my mother died in 1985. We lost him last Christmas 2009. He and my mother bought a camper in 1973 (starcraft popup). We felt rich! We had many good times camping with them, and I guess they are the reason we all like to camp and be outdoors so much now!
Thanks again for your feedback. Its so nice to talk to someone who actually used the camper! Hope you and your wife have fun camping and make many good memories with your childen. They grow up fast!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #8

Rigger,
Couldn't agree more on your comments. we've found the same to be true. The amount of room for "take along" stuff is great. Just last year we traveled to St. Louis for my son's wedding and guess who got to bring back all their wedding gifts? (he lives here in CO and his bride was from St. Louis)
I really load it up for my yearly elk hunting trip in which I boondock for 3 weeks or so. Plenty of space for all the gear, and the freezer. Have been thinking about changing models, but now after reading this thread, I don't know if I want to.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #9

Well, we have looked at campers, and looked, thought about it , discussed it, traveled 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour from home and looked, looked on the internet , talked to several people. This could drive a person crazy! Then we went back several times and looked again, went to Chattanooga Tn Friday ( 1 1/2 hour from home)looked again at the Keystone Premier with bunks, and a Flagstaff (like the Rockwood 8317RKSS only without U shape table) and looked again today at the Rockwood 8317RKSS about 5-10 minutes from home and did decide today to buy the Rockwood 8317rkss after we looked at it again! LOL If we had found this camper last year we would have bought it! It was what we looked for last year! Apparently it is new for at least the dealers near us and it was not on their lot untill after we bought our Keystone Premier in the spring. We are always a dollar late or a dollar short! With all the expense of trading and really liking the Keystone Premier 28rl it was a very hard decision to make. There is nothing at all wrong with our Keystone camper. it has been a great camper. Its just not a floor plan that has worked for us. We have never traded because of a floor plan and is silly to me. But we think we will love the outside Kitchen, and the extra beds for guest. If we are not satisfied with our camper after ALL of this we will just sell the RV and go back to a pop up, or just forget it! LOL One of the best trips I had last year was when my husband and I took a very small tent and two camping chairs, 1 blow up bed, 1 cooler of sadwiches, water, and coke to Crossville, Tn, during the worlds longest yard sale. We took this just in case we couldn't find a hotel available. Well, needless to say we didn't find a room available! So we camped with hardly anything while our camper was at home in the driveway, and we had a great time! That should tell me something!
I've always heard the older you get the wiser you get! I'm still waiting on the wiser! :>)
Old 02-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #10

Yep.....all those options are a bit overwhelming. Congrads on your decision. Sometimes you just need to make the decision and then make it the right one. Enjoy the new rig.

We've decided to keep the 8317 and mod it to our liking. Off to find a nice dinette set. I removed the booth last year and put in two recliner/rockers. Decided to pull couch and replace with table and chairs. We have a portable air mattress queen bed we can use if we run out of sleeping space.

C'mon spring!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #11

Just purchased a Rockwood 8312SS and love the two slide option. My kids have their own space and I love never having to cook inside with the outdoor kitchen option. Plus the second door directly into the bathroom is a must with kids! We were originally looking at the bullet premier 31bhs, but other than the fancy exterior, it left us wanting more inside.
texansinmaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:53 AM   #12

That is a very nice camper! We looked at that one also. Its to much weight for us to tow. The 8317RKSs is about our limit and probably pushing us a little at that. I think we will enjoy the outdoor kitchen , too!