Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #1

2012 Rockwood 8311SS Stabilizer Question

As a “newbie” to the travel trailer lifestyle. I recently purchased a 2012 Forest River Rockwood 8311SS and set it up on my seasonal site approximately one month ago. To give you some background, I have the electronic factory equipped trailer stabilizer jacks resting on cement pads/wood and have installed the wheel lock X-Chocks to both sides of the trailer. With that being said, I am beginning to notice a slight side-to-side motion of the trailer (when walking through it) and was wondering if anyone would recommend using Stacker Jacks in order to resolve the problem. Since the underside of the trailer appears to be sealed and I cannot confidently identify a solid area (i.e. beam) to mount any stabilizer devices, could you please let me know where it would be best to position them (would the axels suffice?) My apologies if this thread has already been posted and I thank you in advance for your assistance.
Brian Lahner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You need to research stabilizer systems available such as JT Strongarm and Steadyfast. Others have made their own, similar stabilizers.

You could also have a additional jack to the camper frame close to the axles on each side to stabilize that area.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #3

I put the steadyfast system in mine. On concrete or asphalt, works great. Softer grounds, not sure anything will take all the bounce out. Great support on the product too. Installed in a few hours with all parts included.
kaferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #4

Thanks to both of you for your prompt response and insight. Based on your recommendation and my limited experience with the Forest River Rockwood trailers, am I to assume that the only solid areas to install these stabilizing devices would be on the front and rear areas of the unit (besides the fact that the axels can be supported with jacks)? I ask this, as I have observed supporting devices installed at intervals along the exposed underside support beams (running parallel to the length of the trailer) of other non-Rockwood units, but I am unable to confidently establish where the beams are on mine, as everything appears to be sealed. Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but your input is definitely appreciated. Take care - Brian
Brian Lahner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #5

The trailer does have a solid I-beam frame running the full length of the trailer, albeit under the plastic covering. There is a small aluminum tack strip, you can unscrew this, and the plastic will come out so you can mark it where the frame is. Note that some Rockwood trailers have a 3/4" wood plank attached to the frame, which will have some give to it. WHen I attached my steadyfast, I cut the plastic trim around the frame mounts. You def. want to be sure you mark the frame, so your support doesnt go through the covering
kaferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #6

I dont think you have anything but stub axels on the end of your swing arms.Your goal is to unload the suspension system,jacking on a suspension is counter productive to your goal. Look up (Dunnic)posts,he had a (GOOD) way to limit (Bounce) under his unit! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You need to triangulate your stabilizer bars
X braces for side to side and for and aft for back and forth movement!

Triangulation is the key to stabilization!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote