Old 05-31-2016, 10:27 PM   #1

2012 Windjammer 3001W Shakedown Tour

We left this afternoon to go about 90 miles to Carlyle Lake, IL to try out the Windjammer before we haul it to florida later, to kind of get used to it.

What a day. Had a tire explode on the trailer about 15 miles from the house on the interstate. It was on the shoulder side, good thing or I'd have had to call someone else to change it. 3 lanes and people wouldn't get over when they went by. It's a state law they don't care about I guess.

Tire was destroyed, ate the side of the trailer up pretty good. Went to take it off, my lug wrench was to thick to fit between the lug nuts and the fancy aluminum wheels. Had to unhook and go home and get some more tools. Good thing I guess since I had wife drive her Expedition back and park it behind the trailer a ways with her flashers on and people finally started getting over a little farther than one coat of paint between them and my truck and trailer. And you know who were the worst about it? The so called professional tractor trailer drivers. They're going by me at 75, not even trying to get over when the other lanes were clear.

We barely got the tire changed, hooked back up and home before dark.

So I need $500 worth of new tires and have to pay a $500 deductible to get the damage fixed, I obviously need to get a job. No way I'm trusting the other tires on the trailer now even though all of them looked fine.

Since I already paid for the campsite we moved a lot of the stuff over to our other trailer and we're leaving with it to go up there early in the morning.

And I'm worn out.

KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #2

I've had 2 of the load range C tires on my windjammer go down. First was a cut tire but the second lost the tread and beat up the trailer

I'm going to have Maxxis load range D put on this week with a TST Tpms sensor.

I check tire pressure religiously before trips and the camper is stored indoors in a heated building.

Linc

Old 06-02-2016, 08:18 AM   #3
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Had same issue with a 2011 V-light got back home and changed all 4 tires out for Goodyear load range G Marathon. So far so good as now I have my 2015 and dot Good years on it also. changed out day I bought it. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 27
Days booked so far in 2017 37
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:01 AM   #4

Well this turned out to be the most "interesting" trip ever.

Got the sunset trail to the campground without incident. After set up the woman in the next camper came right over with 2 little dogs and sat down. And started talking. And didn't shut up for an eternity. And her little dogs were yapping at my Lab and he didn't like it.
Then her husband drove up, I thought well she'll leave now and we'll get some peace.
No, he was even more of a loudmouth than she was. He talked forever bragging about his job as a security guard where he got paid $9.50 an hour for doing nothing.

Their stabilizer jacks were fully extended and all twisted up, and they had 15 ft of sewer hose going all over their lot when they were only about 3 ft from the drain.

The next day the guy on the other side came over and asked me if I was a diesel mechanic. I said No. He was wanting to know if I had any idea what kind of oil to put in his Ford diesel since his oil and battery lights had come on. He also had a big standard poodle that he left in the trailer when he'd leave, and it barked without stopping.

Then on the way home on the 2 lane road from the campground a jeep was running up my backside. I pulled up to a stop sign and was waiting for enough clean road to pull out. The jeep idiot pulls up beside me, in the wrong lane, and pulls out in front of a car. He literally passed me at a stop sign. Luckily there was no wreck, but lots of mad people including me and the ones who almost hit him.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:24 AM   #5

KingFisher,you have me ,are you in the Sunset Trail or the Windjammer? Youroo!!
Old 06-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
KingFisher,you have me ,are you in the Sunset Trail or the Windjammer? Youroo!!
The windjammer had a tire explode 15 miles from our house at the start of the trip and tore up the side of the trailer. After the scary episode of changing the tire we took it home and picked up the sunset trail to go ahead with our camping trip, it's in my first post.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:34 AM   #7

Also the awning motor is dragging on the sunset trail, so need to take it in for warranty work this week. The awning led lights are going out also but was waiting for another issue to pop up before taking it in so I'll get that fixed too.

So all I have to do this week is:

Take sunset trail to sunset trail dealer for warranty work.

Remove wheels from Windjammer and get new tires put on.

Then take Windjammer to a different dealer to get estimate for repairs on the side the exploding tire tore up.

Deal with insurance company.

Mow yard.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #8

Tire explosion damage

Old 06-10-2016, 09:17 AM   #9

User Missing link sent me a pm letting me know about buying parts since he had the same problem with a newer Windjammer. I appreciate that, lets me know about how much I'm going to spend. Looks to be less than my insurance deductible so I won't involve the insurance company.

So first off I went to my favorite dealer (not a forest river dealer). He said he could buy the parts but they'd be at retail since he's not a dealer and then he'd have to mark them up. Suggested I buy them myself. Also suggested that since my background is construction and I know how to turn a screwdriver I might consider fixing it myself because it's very simple.

Then I found out I can't buy the parts direct. So I went to a Forest River dealer. They said the same thing, they'd have to pay retail and mark them up. They're a forest river dealer but not a rockwood dealer. So I have to go to a rockwood dealer.

The nearest Rockwood dealer is 60 miles away, I guess I'll take some pictures and measurements and my vin number down there later today or at the latest Monday.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:19 AM   #10

Also I now have 4 new tires. Carlisle Radial Trail RH, load range E. Spent $460 mounted and metal valve stems installed.

Tags
2012, 3001w, windjammer