Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1
2015 Rockwood 2904ws

Hello,
I'm inquiring about the Rockwood Ultra Lite 2904ws and have some concerns about the backend dragging or scraping bottom. It appears low to the ground if anyone has comments it would help.
Thanks,
Cheryl
__________________

__________________
cheryllap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:18 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Alberta
Posts: 6
We just got a 2904WS. Haven't been camping yet, but I have a slope to get out of my parking spot by our house, and haven't had any issues scraping or dragging.
__________________

__________________
Kennyzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
wicked1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Manahawkin
Posts: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryllap View Post
Hello,
I'm inquiring about the Rockwood Ultra Lite 2904ws and have some concerns about the backend dragging or scraping bottom. It appears low to the ground if anyone has comments it would help.
Thanks,
Cheryl

They make wheels for that which attach to your bumper I just clear mine by an inch or 2


2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
2016 F350 Supercew Short Box 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
2015 FR Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:06 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,336
Oh i don't know if I'd use casters on the rear of a ultra light camper.
This is a very bad idea!

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
strat56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 280
Don't know if it's the same height as the one you're looking at or not but I have Windjammer 3008W and it drags backing into my drive way if I back straight in. If I angle it its ok.

In my case the rear stabilizer jack on the driver's side drags. They hang down about 9" below the frame. I'm looking at getting casters for it but I need to take it out and back in the driveway to determine the right height on the casters. I don't want to put casters hanging down 9" off the back of my frame. I don't think my trailer is an ultralight and the frame on mine if pretty heavy duty.

If the axles were a couple feet closer to the rear of the trailer, it probably wouldn't drag, so that's something to take into account also. It drags because the back end of the trailer is fully over the slope in my driveway before the trailer wheels have hit the driveway and started up the slope. I've been told that have wheel base shorter on the trailer makes it easier to maneuver in tight spaces. Don't know.
__________________
Jack and Jan
Nights camped 2014 - 8 | Nights camped 2015 - 23 | Nights camped 2016 - 24
2015 Ford Super Duty F350 > Blue Ox Swaypro WD Hitch > 2015 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat56 View Post
Don't know if it's the same height as the one you're looking at or not but I have Windjammer 3008W and it drags backing into my drive way if I back straight in. If I angle it its ok.

In my case the rear stabilizer jack on the driver's side drags. They hang down about 9" below the frame. I'm looking at getting casters for it but I need to take it out and back in the driveway to determine the right height on the casters. I don't want to put casters hanging down 9" off the back of my frame. I don't think my trailer is an ultralight and the frame on mine if pretty heavy duty.

If the axles were a couple feet closer to th rear of the trailer, it probably wouldn't drag, so that's something to take into account also. It drags because the back end of the trailer is fully over the slope in my driveway before the trailer wheels have hit the driveway and started up the slope. I've been told that have wheel base shorter on the trailer makes it easier to maneuver in tight spaces. Don't know.
I'm almost certain a windjammer has a fabricated tin I beam frame.
It'll be about 6 or 8 inches tall.

Ask your self if you'd jack your camper from the rear bumper?

I have to put boards under my tires when I pull my camper in and out of the shed.

I have a "real" 11" I beam and I'd still not put casters under my camper .

Do what you want, it's only my opinion just be watching for doors not shutting or opening in your camper.

Also to the op.
This certainly may void your frame warranty if you do so.



TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:13 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
strat56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I'm almost certain a windjammer has a fabricated tin I beam frame.
It'll be about 6 or 8 inches tall.

Ask your self if you'd jack your camper from the rear bumper?

I have to put boards under my tires when I pull my camper in and out of the shed.

I have a "real" 11" I beam and I'd still not put casters under my camper .

Do what you want, it's only my opinion just be watching for doors not shutting or opening in your camper.

Also to the op.
This certainly may void your frame warranty if you do so.



TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"
I don't want to hijack this thread.
__________________
Jack and Jan
Nights camped 2014 - 8 | Nights camped 2015 - 23 | Nights camped 2016 - 24
2015 Ford Super Duty F350 > Blue Ox Swaypro WD Hitch > 2015 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:28 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmot Twp, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,602
I don't think Turbs is high jacking this thread. He is correct on the frame. I have even lighter frame on mine.

I welded casters to the back of my 1982 Corsair travele trailer. This was a fully boxed bean construction. They worked wonders.

For $250 you can buy a lift kit for Lippert torsion tube axles. My trailer has this due to clearance issues. If you have leaf spring maybe a flip is in order.

No casters on the back.
__________________
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:38 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
strat56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I don't think Turbs is high jacking this thread. He is correct on the frame. I have even lighter frame on mine.

I welded casters to the back of my 1982 Corsair travele trailer. This was a fully boxed bean construction. They worked wonders.

For $250 you can buy a lift kit for Lippert torsion tube axles. My trailer has this due to clearance issues. If you have leaf spring maybe a flip is in order.

No casters on the back.
No springs. Was not aware of lift kit for the torsion tube axles, will look into it.

I'm curious, if my frame is so weak that it can't support the partial weight of the trailer for a few seconds while I'm backing in the driveway, how do I jack the trailer up and support it while I'm installing the lift kit?
__________________
Jack and Jan
Nights camped 2014 - 8 | Nights camped 2015 - 23 | Nights camped 2016 - 24
2015 Ford Super Duty F350 > Blue Ox Swaypro WD Hitch > 2015 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:42 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,336
http://www.dexteraxle.com/torflex_lift_kit



TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rockwood

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 PM.