Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #1

2015 windjammer 3008

Hi all new here. I asked on another forum and was directed to this one for good answers I hope. My wife and I just bought our first trailer after a year of looking and take possession next week. Very happy with dealer especially the salesman. We came across a consumer report site that has a bunch of very unhappy owners of Forrest River products for a variety of reasons but there didn't seem to be any on the windjammer.
So hoping that those of you that have or do own one can let us know what your experiences have been.
Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #2

Welcome and congrats on your new Windjammer 3008! Every manufacturer will have some unhappy owners for a variety of reasons. I wouldn't worry about it seeing as you have a dealer you're happy with and hopefully will take care of you if any problems arise. Enjoy you new camper!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
Hi all new here. I asked on another forum and was directed to this one for good answers I hope. My wife and I just bought our first trailer after a year of looking and take possession next week. Very happy with dealer especially the salesman. We came across a consumer report site that has a bunch of very unhappy owners of Forrest River products for a variety of reasons but there didn't seem to be any on the windjammer.
So hoping that those of you that have or do own one can let us know what your experiences have been.
If you did a year of looking and are happy with your (Salesman) you are already Way ahead of Most! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If you did a year of looking and are happy with your (Salesman) you are already Way ahead of Most! Youroo!!
Can't say enough about him as we spent pretty much three days talking with him and changing our minds on a couple of different trailers. I am just concerned with all the issues I keep seeing from new tire blowouts to things falling off to water leaks. I'm a mechanic and see crap like this on $140,000 trucks and understand things happen but we are a little worried.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #5

Quote:
We own a 2014 Windjammer 3008. Every unit will have some problems...we've had things that had to be fixed, but, like you, we have a great dealer who has taken care of us. Dometic had a recall on some of the electric motors on the awnings (your should be OK, that was very early in the 2014 production runs) and there have been other issues, but Forest River and the dealership have stood tall and addressed every little thing that has come up...and don't get me wrong, there really haven't been very many. Most of the things we have had to get repaired have been changed/addressed on subsequent production runs.

We love our 3008. We've had it all over the southern part of the US, from Florida and Georgia to Texas, and over a lot of the Midwest. Great trailer!

Welcome to RV'ing, to Forest River, and to the forum. As far as seeing a lot of complaints on a web site from unhappy owners, remember, the happy ones aren't generally posting...

We, too, were at the Goshen International Rally earlier this month. There were sure a bunch of happy owners there.

Enjoy the new Windjammer and
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #6

There were (19) V-nose units at the Goshen Rally! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #7

Welcome to the clan. Have been lucky with our 3008W. New in 2013. 2014 model
2OLDDIGGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies. I'm just trying to navigate through all of the great information here. I found a few threads about mounting fence post covers under trailer to hold hoses and how to connect both gray water tanks together but of course can't seem to find those posts again.
Not sure if anyone here can tell me if the extended warranty (that I found out about on this site) that Forest River offers is available in Canada or not. If it is I'm a little disappointed with the dealer for not telling me this instead of the $3000.00 one they want me to buy.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #9

Carrier, we have a 2012 Windjammer 3008W and have owned it since May 2011. We live in Missouri and have taken it as far south as Georgia, east to West Virginia, north to Minnesota and to over 10,000 feet in the Colorado Rockies. We too looked for a long time and just love the trailer. Yes, we have had a few issues--you will to. May I make a recommendation--put load range D tires on it as soon as possible. We had a tire issue one year into the trailer (about 7500 miles) and I replaced them all with the D tires. Never had an issue since. We live in a small town and know the local tire store owner. If you have a similar situation--talk to them about trading in the tires that come with the trailer to help with the expense of the new ones. Believe me--it is worth it.

Having said all that--we probably only have one more trip in the Jammer. We have decided to move up to a fifth wheel so mine is for sale or will be traded in once the new one arrives. But I still stand as one of the biggest advocates of the Windjammer 3008!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #10

X2 on the tires. We have a 2013 3008 and had a blowout on the right rear that did some damage to the lower trim. We replaced them all with E rated tires. We also had new axles do to inadequate tire clearance. We too live in Missouri, but purchased our unit in San Antonio. Therefore we dealt directly with FR. They were very accommodating by finding us a dealer near Kansas City for the repairs. We recently traded for the 3025W model. Part of the deal is getting to keep our present tires. We spend 4-5 months wintering in AL and wanted the extra room of the opposing slides. We really liked our 3008 though.
Master Tow Dolly
Davison206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #11

Hope this is right place to ask this as well. Will be using a 2010 F150 super cab with 5.4 and 145" wheelbase. The hitch the dealer is saying to use is a Reese eq 1200. Anyone else use this setup with the 3008 and how well is this going to work?
Old 08-18-2014, 06:53 AM   #12

We had a Chevy 1/2 ton with 6.2 motor and tow pkg. It pulled our 3008 great, but going down mountain hills was white knuckle driving. We also did not feel that it stopped in a safe manner. We now have a 3500 Ram DRW truck that is a great feel plus we can upgrade to most any camper we would want.
Master Tow Dolly
Davison206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:05 AM   #13

I covered the full spectrum with trucks on our 3008. We started out with a Silverado 1500 2WD 5.3L and while it was all flat land camping at that time, the truck was a little overmatched. We went to a Ford F150 Ecoboost Supercrew 4X4 and that truck did great. Loved that truck and trailer combo. Knowing we wanted a fifth wheel I went to the Ram 2500 HD diesel. I don't even realize the camper is behind me until I look in the rearview mirror and see that v-nose.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #14

Thanks old car I am hoping that it will work ok for rest of this short season we have left and next year. I also had a long talk with a very nice young lady named Kelly from Forest River warranty dept. She was able to answer all the questions I had especially the tire issue. And telling me about their extended warranty that is available.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Hope this is right place to ask this as well. Will be using a 2010 F150 super cab with 5.4 and 145" wheelbase. The hitch the dealer is saying to use is a Reese eq 1200. Anyone else use this setup with the 3008 and how well is this going to work?
Carrier,
On our first trip with our 3008, we towed with a 1500 Silverado that was one year old, that I had bough for our previous trailer. It did OK on flat ground, but like others have said, in the mountains, it was not the most comfortable driving (our first trip included a trek through the Smokies to Asheville, NC.) We traded the 1500 Silverado on a 2500 right after that first trip, and haven't had an issue since.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #16

We have had our 2014 3008 since April and love it, have taken it to Virginia in 90 degree plus heat and had no tire issues. We have a little trim issue on the inside and that is about it. I pull it with a Tundra Double Cab with no issues, I guess I have to look into this awning motor recall because it seems to me it runs really slow but I thought this may be normal.

Phil
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke
2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
fil564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #17

Well we finally got the 3008 last Thursday. We had a nightmare with the Reese hitch and got a Blue Ox 1000. All I am going to say about the the whole hitch thing at the dealer was it was a colossal #%^*up.
After watching the Blue Ox video on how to set it up I spent Saturday reinstalling using a real tape measure, actually tightening the mounting bolts and using a government scale that was closed and got it pulling and handling like a dream.

Only have a few hundred pounds of stuff in trailer and set everything up with that weight. Estimated how much more we will be putting in truck and trailer and pretty sure if I have to do any adjusting to the chains I know which link to use.
We are not going to be going very far this year and maybe looking at a different truck next year if the price is right and feel like the F150 not cutting it. However it is what it is for now.
Have found some small cosmetic issues and I think I will just fix them myself as I know they will be done right and hope nothing bigger comes along.

Anyways here are the weights so let me know what you all think.

Weights are.

Truck-- steering axle 1620kg/3461lbs
Drive axle 1370kg/3020lbs

Truck with trailer---Steering axle 1570kg/3461lbs
Drive axle 1780kg/3924lbs
Trailer axles 3010kg/6636lbs

Truck gvw---Steering axle 1769kg/3900lbs
Drive axle 1837kg/4045lbs

Truck and trailer gvw---6360kg/14021lbs

Truck GCWR---7030kg/15498lbs

Tags