Old 03-10-2016, 07:19 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locchamp View Post
This is troubling I contacted a Chevy dealer and asked them all these questions and recommendations and they said it would be fine. I specifically bought a vehicle with the tow package which included hitch, wiring, transmission cooling, transmission trailer control. I never listen to the RV dealer because they of course will tell you what you want to sell you the TT. I am stuck because they have a nice nice deposit too and we really have our heart set on camping.

I hate to "pile on," but I think you should take the advice of many previous posters and; 1. Upgrade your tow vehicle, or 2. Re-consider your purchase. I towed our (previous) 2306 with a Nissan Armada. It has a 6500lb tow capacity and is built on a truck frame. The tow experience was just ok, but I was consistently over the Armada's vehicle weight rating (not tow rating).
Whomever is telling you that "it will be fine" has no understanding of campers (or towing in general). After one season, I upgraded to a Tundra.
Before my 2306, I pulled a 3000lb camper with a Trailblazer (5200lb capacity). 😳 it wasn't pretty.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 03-10-2016, 08:49 AM   #32

Unhappy Congrats on new Mini Lite

Take some advice from an experienced camper that's tried them all. The Traverse is going to work itself to death. SUV's are OK for Popups but not TT. Recommend 1/2 ton with 5.7 or greater V-8 but a diesel would be preferred. Towing package a must.

As far as equipment is concerned, don't over buy, carry what you need. Wal Mart, thirft shops, etc a good place to pick up stuff cheap. Wish I had your email address, I could send our check list for each trip. Can't help you with the generator.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:53 AM   #33

Forgot something

Forum also has Social group for Mini Lites. G to Community, Social Groups, Then search Mini Lite.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #34
KnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probwrm19 View Post
Forum also has Social group for Mini Lites. G to Community, Social Groups, Then search Mini Lite.
Went in there, is pretty much dead. Made a post to see how pans out.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #35

I think, maybe, Locchamp has given up on us. I hope he hasn't and he comes back to let us know what he finally decided to do.

Bruce
Old 03-10-2016, 03:47 PM   #36
KnP

I pulled trailers and towed vehicles crosscountry and hardball. Getting to the destination is half the fun. Perhaps got the impression that needs the power like a tractor pull competition.

I remeber while in Korea. Drove Kia Master and Hyundai Bongo trucks. Those things are rated to 2,400 KG cargo and they do it with a 4 Cly Diesel. They are fast, not really (about 145KM/90 MPH top speed), they are up for the task, heck yeah. Those puny things can make any full size truck cry. Geez, beat the living crap out of mine and refused to die.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:35 PM   #37

We want to camp I been waiting 4 years to buy a camper I called the Chevy dealer they have nothing invested in steering me wrong, i checked some Chevy forums I have seen people post pics towing trailers,I talked to a few friends that tow a lot we should be ok. My vehicle is rated 5200 lb it has transmission cooler and everything to help tow. I don't plan on screaming down the highway doing 75 anyway. I don't have money to buy another truck. I may not be happy towing with the traverse but it is what it is. I will start local work farther and farther this year. No sense on just canceling everything losing my $2k deposit with out seeing how it goes. Next year maybe I can buy a bigger truck like a dodge Durango with hemi if things work out for me.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:42 PM   #38

I pull the same thing with my traverse and it works just fine for us. We went from Lansing to the UP and back just fine getting 15mpg the entire way as well. Granted we are not dealing with mountains or big inclines so that might be an issue.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #39

So the issues seem to be hills so what happens with hills can anyone explain just that it puts strain on the tranny it's in very low gear it struggles what? Or is it that it won't pull it or lose it down hill anyone please explain?
Old 03-10-2016, 09:17 PM   #40
KnP

Transmission cooler is key. Do not sweat if you do not have the power to go 75; drop few gears and chug along. Take care of the equipment, take it easy, will be ok.

My car has a 6L80 transmission, same one that you find in a Scalade and the 6.0 L L76 on an any Truck, weights 4,000 Lb and is rated to 4,620 lbs towing. You darn right will be towing my TT with it.

Tags
2306, rockwood