Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2016, 07:44 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locchamp View Post
We want to camp I been waiting 4 years to buy a camper I called the Chevy dealer they have nothing invested in steering me wrong, i checked some Chevy forums I have seen people post pics towing trailers,I talked to a few friends that tow a lot we should be ok. My vehicle is rated 5200 lb it has transmission cooler and everything to help tow. I don't plan on screaming down the highway doing 75 anyway. I don't have money to buy another truck. I may not be happy towing with the traverse but it is what it is. I will start local work farther and farther this year. No sense on just canceling everything losing my $2k deposit with out seeing how it goes. Next year maybe I can buy a bigger truck like a dodge Durango with hemi if things work out for me.

Well said. I think everyone here is just trying to make sure you are eyes wide open going into this.

As far as hills, you will just be like a tractor trailer on a hill unable to maintain speed. The traverse will be running at higher rpms though. Check the owners manual my envoy recommended I tow in 3rd gear to avoid a lot of shifting.

Enjoy camping. You will have a blast. Make sure you start making reservations amazing how quick campgrounds start filling up.

2012 Ford F-150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Micro Lite 23lb

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locchamp View Post
We want to camp I been waiting 4 years to buy a camper I called the Chevy dealer they have nothing invested in steering me wrong, i checked some Chevy forums I have seen people post pics towing trailers,I talked to a few friends that tow a lot we should be ok. My vehicle is rated 5200 lb it has transmission cooler and everything to help tow. I don't plan on screaming down the highway doing 75 anyway. I don't have money to buy another truck. I may not be happy towing with the traverse but it is what it is. I will start local work farther and farther this year. No sense on just canceling everything losing my $2k deposit with out seeing how it goes. Next year maybe I can buy a bigger truck like a dodge Durango with hemi if things work out for me.
Ok like I ask before,why dont you take your TV to the RV Dealer and do a "Test Tow" with a Real Unit like you are buying? Talk is Cheap,Walk the Walk! After the "Test Tow" please report Back on Here your Honest results and take you Family along for the "Test Tow" also! Thank's Youroo!!
Old 03-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #43

Easy Start & Solar

Search this forum for Easy Start. They say you can run AC on a Honda 2000. For mountain camping where you don't need AC, go solar. Quiet, easy, less than the cost of a generator, much less the gas. Here's some links.
https://id144248.webhosting.optonlin...?products_id=4

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:36 AM   #44

The thing that's going to get tortured the most is the transmission. I know nothing about your tow rig but do you have a way to display transmission temperature? Constant shifting up or down creates heat as well as the torque converter locking and unlocking. An unlocked converter creates heat quick. 200 degrees and higher on a transmission and you're starting to get into trouble. Find a way to monitor temps.

As far as the engine goes, I don't think you'll have an issue there. Again, oil temp is more critical than anything else. The rpm it's running to pull hills is nothing on the engine but oil temp is climbing the more the engine is working.

I can monitor all these temps on my Hemi Ram and it's interesting to watch the temps to see how easily they're effected.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:08 PM   #45

Congrats

Congrats on ordering the new 2306. My wife and I are in the market for a lighter weight bunkhouse and we are very close to pulling the trigger on one of these ourselves. Just curious, what sort of options did you order that you couldn't find at a dealer?

Anyways, for the gear, I'd recommend a very local camping trip, maybe even the driveway to determine what sort of things you might need, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

As far as the tow vehicle, keep your head up. Do your research on the Traverse forums, this forum, irv2 forums and there is lots of other info out there on towing, such as WD hitches and sway control, tires, tire pressures, air bags for the rear springs, brake controllers, etc. Check out can am rv's site. Some of the videos will make your jaw drop. But seriously, there is good advice on the blog section of that site. Anything that will give you a better tow and keep you safer and more confident behind the wheel is worth it.

It sounds like you have a young family and are starting out camping. This is awesome! I am in the same boat. You will have many good years ahead of you with this camper and maybe there is a different tow vehicle down the line for you. Like you said, start local and take your time. Towing forums tend to come down hard on folks' towing vehicle choices. Hey, a new transmission is cheaper than a new truck! Just kidding.

Happy camping!
BaldEagle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:32 PM   #46

I went to an rv show in Syracuse walked around until I found one that I liked I went there looking for a kz spree 196 or 250e and I really didn't like it once I looked at it, I liked the rockwood. After negotiation I got an outdoor grill attaches to the side, back up cam, wd hitch, brake controller, tv mount for outside and even knocked off the show price includes all set up of everything and walk through. We will see I checked the Chevy forum I should be fine as long as I take it easy transmission should be fine the tranny fluid with be replaced every year or every other and proper check ups
Locchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #47
KnP

One recomendation that I hear all the time and never fails is, if your transmission has a Sport Mode or has a way to get off the Overdrive do so. I towed a Geo Tracker with an 03 Impala V6. Changed the selector from D to 3 and drove over 600 miles. Still driving the same car after 175,000 without any issues. On my G8 is advised to set it on Sport Mode even if is a truck transmission. The reason is to avoid excessive shifting and about highway speeds is just a few RPMs difference.

Have fun, be safe, no rush and the trip is part of the fun... so enjoy the travels.

A cheap way to have a nice telemetry is a phone application called Torque. The paid version is like 5 bucks. The ODB Bluetooth adapter is like 25 bucks in Amazon Prime. Not only shows all the engine sensor readings it will also read fault codes (code scaner) and erase/reset codes. Nifty tool to have that is more than a 1 trick pony.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #48

2016 rockwood 2306 things to buy and gen size

IMO,there is no such thing as overkill when selecting a TV. Regardless of the trailer size, get the biggest, baddest TV you can afford. I recommend a minimum of 2500 diesel. Even with a small 5k trailer, you'll be happy you did.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #49

Locchamp:

Here's the link to the Traverse Forum: Chevy Traverse Forum: Chevrolet Traverse Forum - Index

I've been on it for about 4 yrs. Mixed emotions there, too, about pulling something as big as your 2306. I've posted my experience there several times, but one guy pulled a 27 footer to Alaska, so.....

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #50
KnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
IMO,there is no such thing as overkill when selecting a TV. Regardless of the trailer size, get the biggest, baddest TV you can afford. I recommend a minimum of 2500 diesel. Even with a small 5k trailer, you'll be happy you did.
Not trying to sound negative or insulting. Yes, there is such thing and is not based as TV but as a daily driver. Anybody can get caught on the loop of buying bigger vehicles because they want to tow some. For example... on my life style, is not required to have a truck. When I found that my sedan is capable of towing safely 4,600 Lbs I started to reseach for a TT as big as I can find under the 4,000 limit. We do not want to trade and get into debt of a vehicle because of the TT. We went the other way, find a TT that can be towed with the vehicle. Our 2016 Chevy Colorado Z82, came as a replacement for a 13 year old sedan. The truck is similar size and same economy as the car is replacing. Bought new about mid 20s K and a towing capacity of 7,000 Lbs.

We consider towing the TT, just to have another vehicle capable of doing it. We wanted another sedan, for the same price/size, you cannot tow a darn thing. When I was in Europe, saw people towing TTs with their cars. Is a very common practice. So why not here? Funny is, my car is built by GM Holden and shipped directly from Australia. Over there is 4,600 Lbs towing capacity, here in the USA 2,000 Lbs. How is that possible? Lost some during shipping? The design is identical except the driver position. Bought the Class 3 Aussie Tow Kit designed by GM, fit like a glove no a single modification need it.

We can afford a Duramax, Cummins, Power Stroke, etc... but we do not want to own a big truck with all the expeses associated, to be used full time grocery getter, partime TV. Or sitting at the house unused, burning cash away. Had an 00 GMC Sierra Z71 and we hated it; sat at the house most of the time, nobody wanted to drive it.

I think it will be fine with the Traverse.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #51

2016 rockwood 2306 things to buy and gen size

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnP View Post
Not trying to sound negative or insulting. Yes, there is such thing and is not based as TV but as a daily driver. Anybody can get caught on the loop of buying bigger vehicles because they want to tow some. For example... on my life style, is not required to have a truck. When I found that my sedan is capable of towing safely 4,600 Lbs I started to reseach for a TT as big as I can find under the 4,000 limit. We do not want to trade and get into debt of a vehicle because of the TT. We went the other way, find a TT that can be towed with the vehicle. Our 2016 Chevy Colorado Z82, came as a replacement for a 13 year old sedan. The truck is similar size and same economy as the car is replacing. Bought new about mid 20s K and a towing capacity of 7,000 Lbs.

We consider towing the TT, just to have another vehicle capable of doing it. We wanted another sedan, for the same price/size, you cannot tow a darn thing. When I was in Europe, saw people towing TTs with their cars. Is a very common practice. So why not here? Funny is, my car is built by GM Holden and shipped directly from Australia. Over there is 4,600 Lbs towing capacity, here in the USA 2,000 Lbs. How is that possible? Lost some during shipping? The design is identical except the driver position. Bought the Class 3 Aussie Tow Kit designed by GM, fit like a glove no a single modification need it.

We can afford a Duramax, Cummins, Power Stroke, etc... but we do not want to own a big truck with all the expeses associated, to be used full time grocery getter, partime TV. Or sitting at the house unused, burning cash away. Had an 00 GMC Sierra Z71 and we hated it; sat at the house most of the time, nobody wanted to drive it.

I think it will be fine with the Traverse.
No problem. We all have our level where we are comfortable with the equipment. IMO, the tow ratings are way, way too generous.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #52
Site Team

European TTS are WAY different from American TTs.
I've driven through Europe a total of 10 weeks and seen a lot of their TTs.
First, nearly all are shaped more like an Airstream, than boxy American TTs. So much less air resistance.
Second, they have WAY less stuff inside, making them much lighter.
No a/c, single sink, smaller fridges, lighter materials and so on.
Third, they sit much lower and have a lower profile than American TTs. So again, less air resistance.
And lastly, nearly all are MUCH smaller than the average American TT.

So it's not a fair comparison.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #53

So far I still do not have my trailer I'm a little ticked off because I was promised I would get it the second week in May, the trailer has been build and ready for shipping since 4/27 but now I guess it will be another 7-10 days before its shipped to the dealer so I won't see it until the third week of May if I am lucky I am so mad because it doesn't give me time to get use to towing and pick the trailer by Memorial Day maiden voyage.
Locchamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2306, rockwood