Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #1

2016 rockwood 2306 things to buy and gen size

I just bought a brand new 2016 rockwood 2306 mini lite and I am very excited it's our first camper I am new to it all. I wish I didn't have to wait 8 weeks for it to come in. I have a few questions I was hoping someone can answer.

What are the top things I should look at buying for this TT right away? I have weight limit issues so I do not want to pack heavy, I am towing with a 2012 Chevy traverse (5200 lbs)

I wanted to get a generator since most places we want to camp do not have hook ups what size generator will let us run everything no problem in particular A/C?

Thanks
Locchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
KnP

I will think a 3,500 KW will do just fine. Get a Tri Fuel if you can or Bi Fuel. The reason is that you can run LPG, NG and Gasoline. Gasoline has a crapy shelf life. Choice of fuel is great.

Problem with those is above 4,000 ft.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:08 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locchamp View Post
I just bought a brand new 2016 rockwood 2306 mini lite and I am very excited it's our first camper I am new to it all. I wish I didn't have to wait 8 weeks for it to come in. I have a few questions I was hoping someone can answer.

What are the top things I should look at buying for this TT right away? I have weight limit issues so I do not want to pack heavy, I am towing with a 2012 Chevy traverse (5200 lbs)

I wanted to get a generator since most places we want to camp do not have hook ups what size generator will let us run everything no problem in particular A/C?

Thanks
Welcome to FRF.

So, since you'll be using the generator in campgrounds, you'll need an inverter generator.

You'll need at minimum a Yamaha 2400w to MAYBE run the a/c, IF it's a 13.5k a/c.
If you got the optional 15k a/c, then youll need more power.
Since you're using a Traverse, where do you plan on putting the generator?

By the way, I see you changing tow vehicles in the near future. My sister owns one.
The air resistance of the TT's frontal area, along with the loaded weight, will not make the Traverse happy.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Sorry to say it, but: "First thing to buy is a 1/2 ton pickup."

(I'll bet the dealer told you, "oh, sure, your Traverse can pull this!")

I tried pulling my Roo 19 with my 2011 Traverse (~4000 lbs loaded) and was VERY unhappy. I'm guessing you aren't going to be any happier with a larger TT.

I bought a Silverado and I'm a much happier camper.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:44 AM   #5

I can't really buy another vehicle, why is the traverse going to be unhappy what do you mean by that?
I did the research and calculation it can tow 5200 lbs I was going to stay lighter at around 4300.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:24 AM   #6
Mat

Congratulation on your new trailer! I've just traded in my Jayco Hybrid for a Flagstaff 23LB (your twin trailer), not able to help you with generators, but here's are my top items you should be looking to buy IMO, long high quality Sewer Hose (I got the Rhino, works great), spare electrical extension and potable water hose, chocks/blocks, level ramps or handmade ramps, 24" level, MaxxAir vent covers for all roof vents, cleaning wipes and a tool kit with tools you need...
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post

I tried pulling my Roo 19 with my 2011 Traverse (~4000 lbs loaded) and was VERY unhappy. I'm guessing you aren't going to be any happier with a larger TT.

I bought a Silverado and I'm a much happier camper.
Agree 100% about the TV! Also you will have a place for the "Honda 3000 LOW DB Generator"! If in doubt ask that Dealer to let you do a "Test Pull" with your Traverse,then your Q's will be Answered! Youroo!!
Old 03-09-2016, 07:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post

First, welcome to the site!

I agree with this. You are going to ruin your Traverse while at the same time having a very difficult and unsafe towing experience. Sorry, but it's true.

Bruce
Old 03-09-2016, 07:18 AM   #9

Towing a golf cart on an uncovered utility trailer was a strain on my wife's 2014 Traverse LTZ.

Bruce
Old 03-09-2016, 07:41 AM   #10

Friends ours recently upgraded from a Traverse to a 1/2 Ton and are quite happy. The Traverse struggled to pull a ROO 19. He said the Traverse worked awful hard pulling the trailer.

As others have said, a lot of it is the frontal area of the trailer. You're pulling a barn door down the road.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:49 AM   #11

We have a 2306 and LOVE it. I would recommend X-chocks and digital thermostat (the factory unit is very inaccurate and will cause huge temp swings inside the camper). I also bought an off-the-shelf television mount and used it in place of the removable mount inside the unit. I then attached that removable mount to a TV that I use on the exterior wall. That way I can have a TV inside and outside.

And regarding the tow vehicle - I concur. And I say that with a heavy heart... Many of us in this thread thought we could tow with our current vehicle but found out we were wrong. I had a double cab Toyota Tacoma (2006) with a 4.0L V6 that was rated to tow 6400lbs. Wasn't happening. I towed with it twice (local) and traded it for a Tundra.

You need a 1/2 ton truck or a V8 SUV. You said you couldn't buy a new tow vehicle. If that's the case, maybe you need to reconsider the camper you're buying. There's nothing worse than having a shiny new camper in your driveway that you're paying for, but dread using bc you hate towing it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1457527736.592094.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	101435

2015 Rockwood 2306
2015 Tundra CrewMax
53flattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:05 AM   #12

After you get your sewer hose, water hose, chocks, etc.; head to the Goodwill, a thrift store and the dollar store.

Get a set of lightweight dishes, silverware, spatulas, and that type stuff that can and will stay in the camper. Get some pots and pans that also stay. It is a real pain to have to take that stuff in and out of the camper before and after each trip. You will still need serving utensils and spatulas, whisk, and other specialty items.

I purchased "color coded" sheets and towels that are camper only. I purchased white ones that can be bleached because you know they are going to get dirtier than they would at home. You can get whatever color you want, but, this just keeps them separate from the house items.

This has worked well for us for the past 12 years and it keeps us from forgetting those necessary items or carrying too much stuff.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:36 AM   #13

This is troubling I contacted a Chevy dealer and asked them all these questions and recommendations and they said it would be fine. I specifically bought a vehicle with the tow package which included hitch, wiring, transmission cooling, transmission trailer control. I never listen to the RV dealer because they of course will tell you what you want to sell you the TT. I am stuck because they have a nice nice deposit too and we really have our heart set on camping.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #14

Quote:
This is troubling I contacted a Chevy dealer and asked them all these questions and recommendations and they said it would be fine. I specifically bought a vehicle with the tow package which included hitch, wiring, transmission cooling, transmission trailer control. I never listen to the RV dealer because they of course will tell you what you want to sell you the TT. I am stuck because they have a nice nice deposit too and we really have our heart set on camping.

I genuinely feel sorry for you because I know how frustrating it can be (I was in the exact same boat). Couple of options I would suggest - would it be possible to switch your deposit to a smaller camper (maybe one of the Rockwood 19 or 21 footers)? Trading your current SUV for a full-size? How hilly is it going to be where you're towing? I towed twice with the Tacoma and it wasn't horrible bc it was mostly flat. But I could clearly tell that I wouldn't be able to "go anywhere, do anything" with the constraints of my tow vehicle. That's what prompted me to get a larger truck. I didn't want to have a shiny new camper in the driveway that I couldn't use like I wanted. Nor did I want the constant dread of towing and concern with the terrain we would encounter.

Re: the Chevy dealer - they probably aren't out-right lying to you. The SUV would likely tow the weight okay - if, for example, it was a trailer load of cement. The problem with the camper is the surface area at the front that you have to pull through the wind, not to mention the 23ft length that will receive side-winds from passing vehicles that your tow rig has to control.

Just some food for thought from someone who has been there and done that...

2015 Rockwood 2306
2015 Tundra CrewMax
53flattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #15

The biggest issue trying to pull a hard sided camper with a unibody SUV is that the wind profile KILLS you.

Whether its 16ft long or 23ft long really makes no difference.

I had a 23ft R-Vision Crossover that we bought specifically because it only weighted 3300 lbs dry and was "SUV Towable". It was only 90" wide and it was under 9' off the ground in height. I tried towing it with a 2011 Ford Explorer with the 3.5L V6 (5K towing capacity). We took it on 2 trips and I traded the Explorer in. Honestly, I was afraid I would have ended up blowing up the motor at some point. Trying to stay at 60-65MPH was a chore for it....and then add a 20MPH head wind, and on our longest trip with it, it never dropped under 3500 RPM on a 4 hour drive.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #16

We tow our 2306 with a Honda Ridgeline, no problems. It might be more capable than your Traverse, I haven't compared them before replying.

You could check out the Traverse forums online and see what towing experiences other
Traverse owners are reporting.
www.traverseforum.com

You might wind up deciding it's "ok", or you might not enjoy the towing experience.
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
tony5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:59 AM   #17
KnP

Size does not matter, what matters is what the vehicle is capable of. Read the Manual and look for the Tongue Weight, Carring Weight, Towing Weight. Important numbers to know. Strong suggestion to use a weight distribution hitch.

My sedan was build and imported from Australia. Ordered through GM Holden the Class 3 OEM Hitch. The car is rated to 4,620 Lbs towing with a 462 Lbs tongue weight. Is advised to use a brake controler over 1,650 Lbs. This is a sedan a regular 4 door passenger car. Got the 7 Pin GM OEM trailer connector.

A photo with the OEM Hitch and the Plug on the side.

There is a trick to this... when loading your vehicle, to do it properly is to consider the carring vehicle weight. The Tongue Weight, plus cargo and passengers.

If your vehicle has a 2,000 lbs carring weight, substract the weight of the trailer tongue and passengers. What is left is the cargo weight. You will be surprised 4 adults and trailer will get you easy over 1,000 lbs.

There is no rule that says that you "Must Have A Truck" to do towing. Is all about the design capabilities.

Take some carring weight and place it on the TT. Is all a number game and where to put it.

On a side note....
My car is a 6.0 L L76 V8 with a 6L80 Transmission and 1 qt Heavy Duty Transmission Cooler. Truck Engine and Transmission on a car.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:09 AM   #18

I will have sway bar and distribution hitch and brake controller I have towed a snowmobile trailer with two snowmobiles on it with no issues with about total 2600 lbs I can see maybe surface area is a big issue I really want to make this happen somehow not sure I guess I will have to really think about this don't think I will get my deposit back and anything smaller with four kids will not work. I appreciate the advice wish I saw stuff like this sooner.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:12 AM   #19
Mod free 5er

Awning pole attaching kit is a nice light weight addition so you can make your own poles and use your power awning.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:16 AM   #20

Quote:
I will have sway bar and distribution hitch and brake controller I have towed a snowmobile trailer with two snowmobiles on it with no issues with about total 2600 lbs I can see maybe surface area is a big issue I really want to make this happen somehow not sure I guess I will have to really think about this don't think I will get my deposit back and anything smaller with four kids will not work. I appreciate the advice wish I saw stuff like this sooner.
Ultimately, I think it depends how far from home you are planning on going as well. If they're shorter trips, you can make it work. You might not enjoy the ride, but you can make it work. If longer trips are what you're planning....you will be highly disappointed.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2306, rockwood